#1 OFFLINE   Porkweasel

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Twitter:Porkweasel76
  • Device:Galaxy Nexus

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:03 AM

Ok, I have seen this issue brought up a number of times on various sites but I'm not sure I was able to find an answer that was of use, so I'm hoping someone can shed some light and make my stupid self understand.

Here is the issue:

When trying to make a nandroid backup I get the error message "unable to find volume" "error finding an appropriate backup handler".

Here is what I did (from the beginning):
•Reverted to stock, locked.

•Unlocked again.

•Used adb to push CWR, booted into CWR, flashed su.zip, rebooted.

•Went into Rom Manager and flashed CWR again.

•Searched for "stock-recovery.p" in Root Explorer (and yes I mounted R/W) and found no file of the sort.

•Went into CWR to reboot into recovery.

•Succesfully made stock recovery image of STOCK with MD5 generated.

•Wiped data & cache and installed latest Gummy & Gapps.

•Restored my files.

•Went back into CWR, reflashed CWR again.

•Searched for "stock-recovery.p" in Root Explorer (and yes I mounted R/W) and found no file (AGAIN). Root Explorer and Rom Manager DO ask for SU permission.

•Booted into CWR recovery.

•Attempted to make backup of Gummy.

•Received error message "unable to find volume" "error finding an appropriate backup handler".

•Rebooted

•Went to CWR, reflashed recovery. Searched again for "stock-recovery.p" in Root Explorer. Still, no dice.
At this point I am totally confused as to why I can't make another successful nandroid backup. Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

MyDroidWorld.com

#2 OFFLINE   moosc

Android Master

• VIP
  • 1,658 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC
  • Twitter:moosc
  • Device:DroidX on CM7, XOOM WITH HAMMERHEAD, DROID BIONIC ON STEROIDS 893..

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:10 AM

No offence but I never had to push recovery. I unlocked rooted dl rom manger then flashed cdm recovery and have no issues. I don't get y folks need to push recovery when its in cwr

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

#3 OFFLINE   Porkweasel

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:17 AM

Just followed the directions posted on numerous sites so I'm not sure why the issue began. Whether it be pushed or flashed in CWR it should still be there and allow me to create a backup.

#4 OFFLINE   Geezer Squid

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Device:Moto Droid

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:02 AM

Porkweasel said:

Just followed the directions posted on numerous sites so I'm not sure why the issue began. Whether it be pushed or flashed in CWR it should still be there and allow me to create a backup.

What is the version number of the CWR on your phone?

#5 OFFLINE   Porkweasel

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:44 AM

#6 OFFLINE   Geezer Squid

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:02 AM

Porkweasel said:

We used to have issue like this early on with CWR and Rom Manager. Were you trying to do all this, making the backup and restoring, through Rom Manager? That can be the issue if you were. If you were actually rebooting directly into CWR and getting the failure, then I would suggest reflashing CWR via Rom Manager and try again. But if the backup was originally made via Rom Manager it is probably toast.

Looking through your first post again I notice the error was unable to find volume. That could be because Rom Manager puts backups in a different place than CWR? I think that is correct (not totally sure about the Gnex, but on other phones it does).

Good luck.

#7 OFFLINE   Porkweasel

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:59 AM

I never use rom manager to create backups. Always make nandroids in CWR. I reflashed CWR in Rom manager, manually rebooted into bootloader, selected recovery, got into CWR and attempted to make a backup. Strange thing is, I was able to make my first backup from stock rooted but once I flashed a rom it became the "unable to find volume" issue.

#8 OFFLINE   pbj420

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Device:DX

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:32 AM

Porkweasel said:

I never use rom manager to create backups. Always make nandroids in CWR. I reflashed CWR in Rom manager, manually rebooted into bootloader, selected recovery, got into CWR and attempted to make a backup. Strange thing is, I was able to make my first backup from stock rooted but once I flashed a rom it became the "unable to find volume" issue.

Are u using cwr that is touch enabled? If so that could be the problem.

#9 OFFLINE   Geezer Squid

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:08 AM

Check out this thread:

Please Login HERE or Register HERE to see this link!

#10 OFFLINE   Porkweasel

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:59 AM

Thanks. I already checked out that thread but it still doesn't seem to address how to fix the issue beyond what I have already tried. Hmm..

Geezer Squid said:

Check out this thread:

Please Login HERE or Register HERE to see this link!

#11 OFFLINE   quickmustang

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:09 PM

Are you running Nova launcher? I had the same problem and it worked right after I reset everything to factory, then rerooted. As soon as I put Nova launcher back on I started getting the error again.

#12 OFFLINE   Porkweasel

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:59 PM

Wasn't using Nova... ??

#13 OFFLINE   scary alien

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Device:Droid X

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:14 PM

Hey Porkweasel,

Just wanted to let you know, I've restored back to stock numerous times and I, too, have not found the /system/recovery-from-boot.p file present on the system (I think that's the file you were referencing?).

I finally figured-out what it was: that file gets created if you restore to 4.0.1 stock and then take the 4.0.2 OTA (at least that's when it appeared for me). I've got a VZW (CMDA/LTE) GNex, by the way.

So, apparently, there's no /system/recovery-from-boot.p file in the 4.0.1 stock image or the 4.0.2 stock images...you'll only see it if you take the 4.0.2 OTA.

I don't think the presence of that file is related to be able (or not able) to restore a Nandroid backup, though.

There's a similar (although not exact) issue being discussed over at AF, which actually brought me here to your thread (can't post the link yet--dangit...the threads in the GNex VZW root forums under "androidforums.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus-all-things-root/478753-md5-mismatch-error.html")

Cheers!

#14 OFFLINE   BringTheRain403

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Device:DROID X

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:51 PM

look on your SD card and if you have a folder named ".android_secure" delete it and then try doing the backup. If I were to venture a guess you moved the contend of the "SD card" over from your old android phone. If you delete that folder it should fix your problem...

Also, you may have to connect it to your computer to find and delete the folder. It didn't showup on my phone when I searched through Root Explorer or Astro but when I hooked it up to my computer it was there...

Edited by BringTheRain403, 23 January 2012 - 04:56 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   quickmustang

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:57 AM

BringTheRain403, on 23 January 2012 - 04:51 PM, said:

look on your SD card and if you have a folder named ".android_secure" delete it and then try doing the backup. If I were to venture a guess you moved the contend of the "SD card" over from your old android phone. If you delete that folder it should fix your problem...

Also, you may have to connect it to your computer to find and delete the folder. It didn't showup on my phone when I searched through Root Explorer or Astro but when I hooked it up to my computer it was there...

Did this work? I know I had the .android_secure folder on mine before. I am not currently rooted because I'm waiting for a replacement phone due to other issues with data connectivity and the headphone port.

#16 OFFLINE   moosc

Android Master

• VIP
  • 1,658 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC
  • Twitter:moosc
  • Device:DroidX on CM7, XOOM WITH HAMMERHEAD, DROID BIONIC ON STEROIDS 893..

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:12 PM

Surprised vzw is sending you out a replacement since it's software related and not a manufacturer defect. I read that vzw wasnt supposed exchange phones for data issues those our fixed buy software update.

quickmustang, on 24 January 2012 - 09:57 AM, said:

Did this work? I know I had the .android_secure folder on mine before. I am not currently rooted because I'm waiting for a replacement phone due to other issues with data connectivity and the headphone port.

#17 OFFLINE   quickmustang

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:36 PM

moosc, on 24 January 2012 - 02:12 PM, said:

Surprised vzw is sending you out a replacement since it's software related and not a manufacturer defect. I read that vzw wasnt supposed exchange phones for data issues those our fixed buy software update.

The headphone issue wasn't a software issue. One of the pins was actually missing from inside the headphone port.

#18 OFFLINE   BringTheRain403

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Device:DROID X

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:28 PM

did deleting that folder work?

#19 OFFLINE   Porkweasel

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:48 AM

Yes. After deleting that folder I was able to get through the backup and the MD5 generated. I haven't restored that backup yet but at least this is progress. Thank you all for the help. I posted this on no less than 6 forums and couldn't find answers anywhere.

#20 OFFLINE   Jufgdy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:26 PM

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk Posted Image
Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users