Update and Root your Droid using one file: go from 2.0.1 stock to 2.1 stock

13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   p3droid

Chief Of Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,396 posts
  • Device:Motorola Droid

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:29 AM

This comes from the same person who rooted the 2.0.1 Droid. He patched the update zip so that when you update you are rooted.

This only works from the stock 2.0.1

I ran this update this morning and it worked without a flaw. follow the directions after the download.

Please Login HERE or Register HERE to see this link!

1. download the above file and move to the root of your sdcard
2. reboot phone into recovery menu
3. select install update.zip
4. restart phone

You have now updated

Posted Image
> Register at MDW | MDW Rules and Guidelines <
Click the Posted Image in a member's post to thank them for their post!

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

MyDroidWorld.com

#2 OFFLINE   SerialKilla

Droid

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • Device:ThunderNut!

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:24 PM

So, if I flash back to 2.0.1 using the .sbf file, and then run this update.zip - I should be okay,right? Just curious, because I tried sooo many different ROMs, updates, etc...and 2.1 does not like my Droid in the least. The biggest issue I have with it - when it's in sleep mode, and I hit the power button, the 4 main keys light up - but the screen will not come on at all - have to pull battery everytime. This happens no matter what I do. I tried so many different variations,and always the same result. Kinda aggravating. Thanks!

#3 OFFLINE   R1Lover

Android Master

• Members
  • 1,874 posts
  • Device:Thunderbolt

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:30 PM

Thank for sharing it

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Forum/Server Guru & Extreme Hosting Provider
Exactservers | Sutter Solutions LLC

#4 OFFLINE   BBCrackman

Android Master

• Administrators
  • 2,983 posts
  • Twitter:@bbcrackman
  • Device:Too many...

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:14 AM

SerialKilla said:

So, if I flash back to 2.0.1 using the .sbf file, and then run this update.zip - I should be okay,right? Just curious, because I tried sooo many different ROMs, updates, etc...and 2.1 does not like my Droid in the least. The biggest issue I have with it - when it's in sleep mode, and I hit the power button, the 4 main keys light up - but the screen will not come on at all - have to pull battery everytime. This happens no matter what I do. I tried so many different variations,and always the same result. Kinda aggravating. Thanks!

Yes, seems that the other methods dont seem to work as well as this method. I had the same issues with this update until I flashed back to 2.0.1 using the SBF then using the update.zp to go to 2.1. Not to mention I now dont have any issues switching roms as I had prior with using the other method of going to 2.1. Hope that helps

#5 OFFLINE   daftlush

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Device:Moto Droid

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:10 PM

Doesnt work for me. "E0CD marker occurs after start of E0CD." "Sig verification failed."

#6 Guest_Ataranine_*

• Guests

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:18 PM

Very nice, just used this file after re-flashing the 2.0.1 sbf file. works perfectly.

Edited by Ataranine, 03 April 2010 - 11:33 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   p3droid

Chief Of Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 02:25 AM

daftlush said:

Doesnt work for me. "E0CD marker occurs after start of E0CD." "Sig verification failed."

That error indicates that you are not on a stock 2.0.1 OS. use the sbf file to go back and then update.

Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   SerialKilla

Droid

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • Device:ThunderNut!

Posted 04 April 2010 - 05:14 PM

BBCrackman said:

Yes, seems that the other methods dont seem to work as well as this method. I had the same issues with this update until I flashed back to 2.0.1 using the SBF then using the update.zp to go to 2.1. Not to mention I now dont have any issues switching roms as I had prior with using the other method of going to 2.1. Hope that helps

Awesome - thanks for the reply. I think I'm gonna hold off for a bit anyway - seems all the ROMs out there now smoke the 2.1 anyway,so I'm just gonna sit back until something mind-blowing comes that will make it worthwhile. Off topic, I wanna see TAT Home hit for the Droid - That's what I've been looking for, have you seen it yet? Pretty sick!

#9 OFFLINE   nomad1125

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Device:Droid

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:55 PM

do you have to flash backk to 2.0.1 or just run it straight from 2.1 like another update.zip??????????

#10 OFFLINE   NepperZ

Droid

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:19 AM

After this is over are you on 2.1 rooted or not?
Farts are funny.
Farts as a ringtone are even funnier.
Trying to pick up a chic as your phone is ringing....Priceless

#11 OFFLINE   TemperamentalMan

Android Pro

• Members
  • 331 posts
  • Device:N/A

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:16 AM

p3droid said:

This comes from the same person who rooted the 2.0.1 Droid. He patched the update zip so that when you update you are rooted.

This only works from the stock 2.0.1

I ran this update this morning and it worked without a flaw. follow the directions after the download.

Please Login HERE or Register HERE to see this link!

1. download the above file and move to the root of your sdcard
2. reboot phone into recovery menu
3. select install update.zip
4. restart phone

You have now updated

NepperZ said:

After this is over are you on 2.1 rooted or not?

Yes, you are then rooted as in the OP

Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   drewman

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 04:46 PM

Well, this is driving me mad.... I have downloaded the update.zip, placed it into the root directory and DM Updater keeps telling me that I haven't given DM Updater root access. I have never been asked for it. It's incredibly irritating.... I have read alot of many sites with nothing that has helped.
Help????

#13 OFFLINE   p3droid

Chief Of Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:58 PM

drewman, this is not something that you would install with DM Updater...If your phone is on stock 2.0.1 (not rooted) then you just put your phone into recovery mode (hold down the x and power button at the same time when turning on) then press the volume up button and the camera button at the same time. You should see the third choice is update.zip...select that one.

Before you do all this make sure the file is in the root of your sdcard and named update.zip

Posted Image

#14 OFFLINE   drewman

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:38 PM

Thanks for your reply. I have done that. SU is installed, but comes up with a blank screen. Other software that requires root access report it not being available. I boot into recovery mode and choose the update.zip and it says it's installed, but takes only about 20 seconds. It says it's successful, but SU does not work as well as DM Updater..... I have read on several sites and found only one that addressed it, but they had to reset their phones to factory specs.
DM says that I have not given root access. I also tried Terminal Emulator to provide permissions, but access was denied. The phone still boots up fine, but root access was not achieved.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users