How To Increase Battery Life on your HTC Incredible

14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   olta777

Android Master

• VIP
  • 3,808 posts
  • Device:HTC Thunderbolt

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:16 PM

This is just a preliminary thread that will constantly be updated....

To start off, here is how to http://www.mydroidwo...droid-eris.html which is similar to HTC Droid Incredible...

Using my Incredible a lot, I have found a few things that have helped me....

1. Turn down screen brightness
2. Disable location, if not using maps, etc. I manually entered my city/state for weather.
3. From home, go to menu, settings, wireless networks, mobile network settings and uncheck "Enable always on mobile data" -- this one is a big battery hog. This will not disable your data....it will disable the data network when not in use...then when you have something coming, your data will be fine.
4. Use WiFi vs 3g whenever possible.
5. Many places say not to condition battery, but I still do. Can't hurt. To condition, let the battery fully drain until the phone turns off, then fully recharge. Repeat this process at least 3 times.
6. Set your email pull frequency to longer times vs short if you don't depend on emails.

Here is a weird fix, but has worked for quite a few people... Full credit goes to AndyAndroid at AC...

Hey everyone. I read earlier that the battery issue can be fixed by unplugging the phone turning it off and plugging it back in once off.

My test-

Unplugged the phone this morning at 8:30 am. (green indicator light)
Turned off and plugged in again 8:31. (red indicator light)
Green indicator light. Unplugged phone and turned on 8:52.
Turned off and plugged back in 8:53. (red indicator light back again)
Green indicator light. Unplugged and left for the day 9:13.

6:17pm 73% battery.

Usage -

20 - emails
35 - texts
1hr - talk time
25min - web surfing
30min - watching How I Met Your Mother (ON CBS.COM!!!)
30min - Chatting on Google Chat

(NOTE THIS IS HOW I'VE USED THIS PHONE AS LONG AS I'VE OWNED IT AND TYPICALLY I'M AT ABOUT 35%. In my typical use I also usually switch from 3G to wifi when I'm at home or at school to conserve battery I did not do this today.)

More coming..... ;)

Post your suggestions and this post will bring new information ;)

> Register at MDW | MDW Rules and Guidelines <
Click the Posted Image in a member's post to thank them for their post!
"BB Pearl > LG Dare > BB Storm 1 > BB Storm 2 > HTC Eris > Motorola Droid > HTC Incredible > Droid X > HTC Incredible > Samsung Fascinate - Rooted/CWM Recovery/Blackhole FROYO - WINNER" :angel

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

MyDroidWorld.com

#2 OFFLINE   brian

MDW Writer

• Members
  • 603 posts
  • Device:EVO Shooter aka EVO 3d / Nexus S

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:15 PM

Try this
go to settings, about phone, battery, battery use, cell standby, tap on cell standby and you will find 'time without signal' (if your phone has been ON for atleast 30 mins). if this is more than 30 %, thats whats draining ur battery.
1) Goto dialer and dial*#*#4636#*#*(DO NOT press send) (had to take out spaces before and after "*" to make it format properly)
wait a second and you will get the test menu.
2) In the test menu choose 'Phone Information'
3) scroll down and choose on the first drop down -GSM only or cdma only or wcdma only. whatever you choose, wait 5 seconds and look
on ur notif bar if u get ur 3g back (or E).
4) Back all the way out.
5) You might want to reboot, but I found the settings worked straight away.
after you reboot, wait like an hour or so and go back to settings, about phone.. blah blah and find 'time without signal'. if it is lower than what u saw before... it worked!!!!

#3 OFFLINE   SerialKilla

Droid

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • Device:ThunderNut!

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:03 PM

Very cool - but let me ask this, what is wcdma? I did this, and when I got into that drop down menu, it was on CDMA AUTO(PRL) I scrolled up to WCDMA,and it said preferred...so I chose it. Just curious.

#4 OFFLINE   brian

MDW Writer

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:42 PM

Wideband code division multiple access ( WCDMA)

#5 OFFLINE   SerialKilla

Droid

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • Device:ThunderNut!

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:23 PM

Thanx a lot! I have noticed that my cell standby has dropped about 10% since doing this, it was at 38% before, now it's 29% - so that's a nice improvement I'd say!

#6 OFFLINE   brian

MDW Writer

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:24 PM

no problem anytime

#7 OFFLINE   andr0id

Droid

• Members
  • 260 posts
  • Device:HTC Incredible. Motorola Droid. Motorola Droid 2. Motorola Droid X.

Posted 17 July 2010 - 01:38 PM

Couple things worth mentioning. I,as well as many others, was having the problem that my device would never sleep. Well it turned out to be that the calendar(HTC stock) app wouldn't properly shut down, and would prevent my Incredible from sleeping. My Up time = Awake Time. After much trial and error by myself and others, we discovered that shutting down the calendar app wouldn't help. It would shut down if you manually killed the calendar process and the phone would sleep, but eventually it would come back on, causing the problem all over again. This was hard on battery life, as you can imagine. Well, it was finally discovered that while the calendar app wasn't allowing the device to sleep, it was actually the stock Flickr app that was the culprit. Apparently it doesn't play well(in some cases) with the calendar, and prevents it from sleeping. After disabling the Flickr app, removing it from the sync settings, I have not had the problem again. It's good to note that this isn't an issue for every Incredible, but if your device isn't sleeping, it's a good place to start. Also, some people have the same issue with Facebook for Sense.

Secondly, I have seen a battery improvement from "bump-charging". I usually plug my phone in when I go to bed. When I wake up, the green light is on indicating it is fully charged. I then unplug the device, power it down, then plug it in again. The charging light is orange. It usually takes about 15-20 minutes for the light to turn green again. I unplug it, power it up, then plug it in again until the light is green! Sometimes this is instantly, sometimes it takes a few minutes. I know some people continue the process until the light is green instantly when you plug it in, but the above works for me. It sounds annoying, and it is, believe me, but it's not so bad if you plan it into your schedule. For instance: Right when I wake up, I glance at my phone, then unplug, power down, and plug in. While it is charging up, I run to the bathroom, smoke a cig, take my morning meds, brush my teeth, etc. By this time, its green again. Now if your in a rush, you could surely grab your phone and run now. But at this point, I unplug, turn it on, plug back in, then read my messages, twitter, etc until it is green for the final time. While it helps me out personally, I cannot say it will work for everyone. Although, some people claim it is an internal issue in that the device doesn't charge to full so it won't be overcharged and damaged. I can't say for sure, but, like I said, it works for me. I notice that the inital drop in battery doesn't comes as quick. Before I started doing this, my battery icon in the notification bar would show a small drop right away, sometimes in 10 minutes, they slowly trickle down. Now, I hold that initial charge for about 2 hours!

I think we call all agree, with Android devices, every little bit of juice helps! I now often see my battery(Seidio 1750) last 17, 16, even 17 hours. While that's not being on it all day taking pics and using the camera, it not just letting it sit there either! I have not a single battery worry now, but I have 2 batteries, a battery charger that charges my phone and extra battery at the same time, 2 more wall chargers, 2 car chargers, and a handful or USB canles! I always have some way to charge my phone wherever I go!

#8 OFFLINE   jasek78

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Device:HTC Dinc rooted 2.2 froyo

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:20 PM

U can also try this.......

Have an extra battery available for your HTC Incredible if your charger is not available. This battery is a 2150 mAh Lithium Ion. Battery times vary based upon personal use and system transition.

Extended battery is packaged with an extended battery cover.

(Part#: VZW6300BATX1) its 60 bucks and my phone goes about 3 days now on a charge, i keep my stock battery as a "just in case"

#9 OFFLINE   olta777

Android Master

• VIP
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:57 PM

jasek78 said:

U can also try this.......

Have an extra battery available for your HTC Incredible if your charger is not available. This battery is a 2150 mAh Lithium Ion. Battery times vary based upon personal use and system transition.

Extended battery is packaged with an extended battery cover.

(Part#: VZW6300BATX1) its 60 bucks and my phone goes about 3 days now on a charge, i keep my stock battery as a "just in case"

Can you measure how many millimeters is the battery cover bigger with this one than stock? I have always wondered...have seen pictures but it's hard to tell. :)

"BB Pearl > LG Dare > BB Storm 1 > BB Storm 2 > HTC Eris > Motorola Droid > HTC Incredible > Droid X > HTC Incredible > Samsung Fascinate - Rooted/CWM Recovery/Blackhole FROYO - WINNER" :angel

#10 OFFLINE   jasek78

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Device:HTC Dinc rooted 2.2 froyo

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:09 AM

about 2 MMs bigger, it does look kinda clunky on the phone but not bad, used a spark plug gaping gauge for my motorcycle to measure it but it should be close to that, came out to 0.07974 Inches lol. you can go into VZW store and check out the cover before you buy it, to me it was worth it but some may not like the aesthetics since it is abit bigger. the stock bat is 1300 mAh the extended one is 2150 mAh but for me it lasts almost 2.5 times longer than the stock one. but i always keep data and 3g off unless i need it and screen at about 30-40% brightness .

i like it for the longer run time but also because it helps protect the camera lens

Edited by jasek78, 05 August 2010 - 12:13 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   olta777

Android Master

• VIP
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:16 AM

jasek78 said:

about 2 MMs bigger, it does look kinda clunky on the phone but not bad, used a spark plug gaping gauge for my motorcycle to measure it but it should be close to that, came out to 0.07974 Inches lol. you can go into VZW store and check out the cover before you buy it, to me it was worth it but some may not like the aesthetics since it is abit bigger. the stock bat is 1300 mAh the extended one is 2150 mAh but for me it lasts almost 2.5 times longer than the stock one. but i always keep data and 3g off unless i need it and screen at about 30-40% brightness .

i like it for the longer run time but also because it helps protect the camera lens

I agree with the camera lens protection. Thanks!!! I am trying out the HTC HD2 OEM 1500 battery and will probably get an additional hour or two...but will see. I may get the 2150 one. :)

#12 OFFLINE   FrankJ

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:01 AM

You can also just Google at

Please Login HERE or Register HERE to see this link!

to save battery power! It uses a black background that consumes a lot less power than white and it looks cooler too.

Edited by FrankJ, 07 August 2010 - 10:04 AM.

#13 OFFLINE   JoeProcopio

Droid

• Members
  • 258 posts
  • Device:Samsung Fascinate

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:19 AM

so now that we know WHAT WCDMA means, how does it compare to CDMA only, and which one is correct to choose?
On a neverending quest to find the best battery life possible!

Galaxy Nexus running AR, waiting for CM9!

#14 OFFLINE   wrecks

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Device:Incredible

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:15 PM

my seido 1750mh battery is starting to not hold a charge anymore

#15 OFFLINE   afolery

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Device:HTC Android

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:58 PM

Battery Booster Battery Booster (

Please Login HERE or Register HERE to see this link!

)
Boost Your Battery’s Running Time and Max Battery Life

Maybe you can try :)

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users