Froyo Installation Guide Thread

242 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   zone117x

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 02:16 PM

Last I checked, there were almost 30 pages of mostly questions on the Froyo 2.2 on Android thread. I had to spend some time reading through comments and finding tutorial after tutorial to follow. Hopefully this will help some of those less experienced.

Noob-proof guide to installing Android 2.2 (Froyo) on the Motorola Droid :thumbup
This guide will work for any Droid, rooted or non-rooted, and any version (2.1 or 2.0.1).

Warning: Modifications to your device voids the warranty. If you don't know what you're doing, don't just try to wing it. Several of the following processes can easily damage your device and make it not able to boot up, recovery is difficult and sometimes impossible. In most cases you will always be able to restore your Droid back to a fresh Android 2.0.1 (and update back up to 2.2), go here for instructions on that.

DATA LOSS: By default, your contacts and apps (not app settings) are set to sync with your Google account. This means that they will be restored upon reload, double check that they are synced. Any data on your sdcard should be fine if you follow the instructions correctly.

The steps you will most likely want to take:
  • Prepare your Droid to accept the Froyo install.
  • Flash Froyo to your Droid.
  • Update baseband.
  • Root your Droid.
  • Apply wifi fix and overclock capability.
  • Install Adobe Flash.
  • Fix any common problems.
(This is in a nutshell, all steps and details below. If all goes well, the whole process should take around 30 minutes. Good luck and enjoy Froyo!)

Option 1 - Windows Users Only (For Non-Rooted)[INDENT]Step 1: Installing SP Recovery

• Go

Please Login HERE or Register HERE to see this link!

to download RSDLite 4.6, then install it.
  • Download and install the appropriate Motorola USB Driver:

or

• Download the SP Recovery image

• Open RSDLight and browse (click the "..." button) for the SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf file.
  • Connect your Droid to your computer via usb, and turn on your Droid while holding up on the DPad, you will boot into the loader.
  • You should see your device in the grid on RSDLight. Click Start and wait for it to finish.[INDENT][INDENT]Note: RSDLight can behave confusingly, after the phone reboots into Android, RSDLight may display percentages or other signs that it is not complete. To check if it worked, boot into recovery console (holding X by when powering on) and if you see a greenish-gold Android instead of a large “!” exclamation mark, then it worked and you can move on.[/INDENT][/INDENT]
  • Continue to Option 1 & 2 - Step 2: Froyo Installation.
[/INDENT]Option 2 - For Non-Windows Users (For Non-Rooted)[INDENT]Step 1: Installing Nandroid Recovery Image
  • Check your Android version by going to: Home Screen > Menu > Settings > About phone > Android version. If you see 2.1 then you must follow

to manually restore 2.1 to 2.0.1, otherwise continue.
  • Follow this tutorial to install the Nandroid recovery console.
  • Continue to Option 1 & 2 - Step 2: Froyo Installation.

[/INDENT]Option 1 & 2[INDENT]Step 2: Froyo Installation[/INDENT][INDENT]
  • Go to the bottom of

, place on the root of your sdcard, boot into the nandroid console (using the same steps as above), then select: Install > Allow update.zip installation > Install /sdcard/update.zip (deprecated).

[/INDENT]Option 3 - For Already Rooted Devices[INDENT]Step 1: Using ClockworkMod Recovery
(Users have reported issues with using this method, if having trouble try the above methods)
  • (If you have Clockwork Recovery already installed, then skip downloading it)
    Once back at Home Screen, go to the Market and install ROM Manager, open the app and let it install CMR (Flash ClockworkMod Recovery).
  • Go to the bottom of this post and download ClockworkRecovery, it will be P3DFR-CW.zip.
  • Extract the zip contents to /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup.
  • Open the ROM Manager app, and choose Reboot into Recovery.
  • Select Nandroid > Restore > the folder we extracted (2010-06-08.03.05.55).

[/INDENT] Additional..
[INDENT](Recommended) Get the Froyo Baseband
  • Go here to get the new radio file (make sure to read the warning about having the previous radio update).
[/INDENT][INDENT](Recommended) Fixing Wifi & Enabling Overclock
  • p3droid has provided a set of overclocked kernels that include a wifi fix here.
  • (Follow the instructions on the post or..) Download one of the zip files from that post, rename to update.zip, place on root of sdcard, boot into recovery, and apply the update.
  • For overclocking: go to the android market and search for "overclock", there are several free & paid apps that will do the job.
Installing the Adobe Flash Player plugin
  • Go

to download the Flash install package. Here is a related discussion thread.
  • Extract the zip, and place the .apk file on your phones sdcard.
  • On your phone, navigate to and install the .apk file with the app manager. (You may need to enable Unknown sources in your Application settings).
    * Kongregate.com has an awesome mobilized selection of Flash games to play *
Getting Hulu to Play
  • Go

for steps on getting the Hulu flash player to work.

[/INDENT]Possible Errors and Problems
  • Problem: Market stuck at downloading or missing paid apps.
    Fix: A fix for the market has been posted here (comment #74).

• Problem: RSDLight does not see my device!
    Fix: Go here for instructions on how to fix.
     
  • Problem: Google Maps won't install or having problems in the market.
    Fix: Go here for instructions on how to fix.
     
  • Problem: Laggy, slow response, problems with the app market.
    Fix: This happens when you first start up, Android will try restore (download & install) all of your previous apps, just wait a while until its finished.
     
  • Problem: Stuck at the boot video (red eye & droid logo).
    Fix: Some people report that it takes a relatively long time to first boot up into android, try just waiting. After 10+ min, you may be stuck in a boot loop. You can try to wipe data & cache in nandroid and try again.
     
  • Problem: Not rooted, no SuperUser permissions.
    Fix: This means that you installed Froyo using the method in Options 1 & 2, but you forgot the last part of Step 2. Go do it!
     
  • Problem: My phone will only overclock up to 1.1GHz!
    Fix: No fix that I know of, and the only answer I've seen for this is "some phones just can't handle it."
     
  • Problem: Chrome to Phone doesn't work.
    Fix: I have not seen a fix for this, it just hangs at registering device and fails.

 
  • Problem: Where is wifi tethering!?
    Fix: The Tethering setting does look a bit conspicuous as if you just kept missing the "Enabling Wireless Tethering" option. Alas, your eyes do not deceive you. Unlike usb tethering, You must download an app for wireless. Search in the market, Wireless Tether for Root Users is likely the best for the Droid.
     
  • Problem: For whatever reason I want to restore my Droid (and warranty) and undo any modifications.
    Fix: In most cases you will always be able to restore your Droid back to a fresh Android 2.0.1 (and update back up to 2.2), go here for instructions on that.

-------------

If in doubt, read the replies to the post of the tutorial you are currently on, afterward, feel free to post questions. This post will be updated with FAQs and any suggestions. :d

Credit and thanks to all of the people responsible for all the linked material. :badgerslayer

Several of these steps will probably be shortened as more development is made. If you see where something can be shortened or bettered, then post.

-------------

Edited by zone117x, 09 June 2010 - 03:23 PM.

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

MyDroidWorld.com

#2 OFFLINE   RANDYRKELLY

Android Master

• Members
  • 992 posts
  • Twitter:twitter.com/rrkmdw
  • Device:Moto Droid

Posted 06 June 2010 - 02:18 PM

thanks bud i was just typing the same.

Posted Image

:confusedIf Your Ever In A Bind And Can't Fix Your Droid, Just Gtalk Or Email Me RANDYRKELLY@GMAIL.COM:fire

#3 OFFLINE   rwilliams268

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Twitter:www.twitter.com/rwilliams268
  • Device:OG Droid, Dinc, Droid Charge

Posted 06 June 2010 - 02:28 PM

Where was this handy single thread 2 hours ago when I started rooting my Droid? lol Great guide btw!

Edited by rwilliams268, 06 June 2010 - 06:19 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   zone117x

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 02:35 PM

rwilliams268 said:

Where was this handy single thread 2 hours ago when I started rooting my Droid? lol Great guide btw

I know, it was like having to take two hours to unwrap an N64 Christmas present when you're 9yo.

#5 OFFLINE   RANDYRKELLY

Android Master

• Members
  • 992 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 02:45 PM

welcome to MYDROIDWORLD. Hope this helps

rwilliams268 said:

Where was this handy single thread 2 hours ago when I started rooting my Droid? lol Great guide btw

Posted Image

:confusedIf Your Ever In A Bind And Can't Fix Your Droid, Just Gtalk Or Email Me RANDYRKELLY@GMAIL.COM:fire

#6 OFFLINE   R1Lover

Android Master

• Members
  • 1,874 posts
  • Device:Thunderbolt

Posted 06 June 2010 - 02:52 PM

Stickied.... thanks for the effort in putting this together.

Forum/Server Guru & Extreme Hosting Provider
Exactservers | Sutter Solutions LLC

#7 OFFLINE   iMartin

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Device:Moto A855 Droid

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:09 PM

zone117x said:

I know, it was like having to take two hours to unwrap an N64 Christmas present when you're 9yo.

lol excellent analogy.

#8 OFFLINE   jtelander

Droid

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • Device:RAZR

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:11 PM

I've seen mention of the need to wipe the phone..at what point in the process is that done?

What about the need to backup...where in the process does that occur?

Regarding Step 2, how does one decide between the two options?

Thanks for pulling this together!

#9 OFFLINE   Even7us

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Device:Droid

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:27 PM

I'm still having some trouble installing this. I have quite a bit of experience with installing ROMs. Whenever I go to install it, I get an error saying that the boot image cannot be installed. The installation stops because of this. I am using the newest version of ClockworkMod, ROM Manager, and CyanogenMod 5.0.7.1 if that helps.

#10 OFFLINE   zone117x

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:44 PM

Even7us said:

I'm still having some trouble installing this. I have quite a bit of experience with installing ROMs. Whenever I go to install it, I get an error saying that the boot image cannot be installed. The installation stops because of this. I am using the newest version of ClockworkMod, ROM Manager, and CyanogenMod 5.0.7.1 if that helps.

Did you try to install using SP Recovery Nandroid? (above at Step 2: Option 2)

#11 OFFLINE   mjburk

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Device:DROID

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:51 PM

I'm admittedly a noob, but when I'm done with resetting my phone, (I'm on 2.1, and have to backtrack to 2.0 to root) I'll have lost everything? I know people do nandroid backups, but as I understand it I have to be rooted to create one. I know I can re-import my contacts and etc, but will I really have to re-download everything from the Market? and pictures on my droid? Thanks for the guide it looks pretty comprehensive but I just want to make sure I know what I'm getting into.

(I found elsewhere that contacts and apps (BUT NOT APP SETTINGS) are automatically reimported.) Everything on the SD card is apparently safe, but if anyone with more experience knows these things for sure go ahead and let the rest of us know.

Edited by mjburk, 06 June 2010 - 03:59 PM.
Found partial answer in a different post

#12 OFFLINE   jroc

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Device:Motorola Droid

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:56 PM

Thank U for putting this guide together, should help ppl a great deal.

My suggestion: if they are already on 2.1, they dont need to go back to 2.0.1. They gonna have to use RSD Lite anyway, they might as well just flash the SP Recovery onto 2.1.

U may need updated Motorola Drivers.

for 32bit systems

for 64bit systems

The reason I recommend this way is cuz its faster using RSD Lite this way. U not going back to 2.0.1, you're just adding a file (SP Recovery) to your current 2.1

#13 OFFLINE   Even7us

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:10 PM

zone117x said:

Did you try to install using SP Recovery Nandroid? (above at Step 2: Option 2)

Yes, but that method causes me to get boot loops after the install. The ROM seems to install without a problem, but the phone won't boot. It gets to the Moto logo before turning off.

#14 OFFLINE   zone117x

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:12 PM

Even7us said:

Yes, but that method causes me to get boot loops after the install. The ROM seems to install without a problem, but the phone won't boot. It gets to the Moto logo before turning off.

Have you tried wiping data and cache in the recovery console?

#15 OFFLINE   microban

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:18 PM

Hi, So I had a couple questions.

This is the first time i have ever rooted a phone And i was just wondering .. I've got froyo2.2

I used sp recovery and did the extra step with the zip to get root. from that point I couldnt overclock because mileston/droid OC said I needed root even though I had the SU icon.

Ok not sure how to use The set cpu, But anyways . So i couldnt overclock . I downloaded the kernel which was 250 - 1200 since everyone was saying that the 1250 was in actuality 1100. I did that and added flash and I hoped ok now I can over clock.

Ran quadrant and it told me max freq was 1200 but current was 600. Go into SetCPU and it shows its set at 600 mhz and theres still room to go up to 1200 But I cant access it because I dont have root and It's saying read only mode.

Im so confused :duh And I hope Someone can help me. Getting the OC'd kernel means ? that you have a max of 1200 but cant set it to run at that because of no root ?

My quadrant score was a little above 1000 but I've seen members hitting above 1600.

Advice please.

#16 OFFLINE   microban

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:25 PM

Even7us said:

Ok are you saying that you're stuck at the moto logo before you have to just turn it off yourself ?

If so i had troubles installing it on my own this morning until I realized I was trying just to install the Kernel with the wifi fix because I thought that it was the mostup to date one. The file that you put onto your phone should be 109 mb and you should also have had to make a folder on your sd card named nandroid.

Uhhh, and I just double posted my bad I was just trying to help and I had a problem kind of similar .. haha sorry..

Edited by microban, 06 June 2010 - 04:26 PM.
I just realized I double posted

#17 OFFLINE   Even7us

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:25 PM

zone117x said:

Have you tried wiping data and cache in the recovery console?

Yep, no luck there either. I think I'll just give up on Froyo until I can get something that will work with ClockworkMod. For now, I have to figure out how to get back to where I had the phone now that I'm stuck with boot loops.

#18 OFFLINE   zone117x

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 05:43 PM

jroc said:

Thank U for putting this guide together, should help ppl a great deal.

My suggestion: if they are already on 2.1, they dont need to go back to 2.0.1. They gonna have to use RSD Lite anyway, they might as well just flash the SP Recovery onto 2.1.

U may need updated Motorola Drivers.

for 32bit systems

for 64bit systems

The reason I recommend this way is cuz its faster using RSD Lite this way. U not going back to 2.0.1, you're just adding a file (SP Recovery) to your current 2.1

Thank you for the suggestion :)
I added it to the tutorial.

#19 OFFLINE   RANDYRKELLY

Android Master

• Members
  • 992 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 05:49 PM

Ok what is the issue. Froyo works with clockwork

Even7us said:

Yep, no luck there either. I think I'll just give up on Froyo until I can get something that will work with ClockworkMod. For now, I have to figure out how to get back to where I had the phone now that I'm stuck with boot loops.

MDW GoodWill Ambassador.

Sent from a Froyo Moto Droid Using TapaTalk Pro.

Posted Image

#20 OFFLINE   Itsabarrier

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Device:Motorola DROID

Posted 06 June 2010 - 07:34 PM

Alright, I'm really confused. Once I get to Step 2, I download the ZIP, then what? It says to navigate to the other thread and follow the steps, but where do I start? Because I reads the steps, and it says to place the ZIP into the Nandroid folder on my phone, which does not yet exist. Help? =D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users