Jump to content

Check us out:

- - - - -

Froyo... What do you like and what would you change?


22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   olta777

    Android Master

  • VIP
  • 3,808 posts
  • Device:HTC Thunderbolt

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:33 PM

Just wanted to see how everyone that loaded Froyo is doing...and how much you are liking it...

Let's discuss which features you love, which would you change? Are you using Sense UI or a 3rd party launcher? Which options would you like added? You get the idea...

I like....
-The speed
-Extra widgets
-Overall performance

I would like
-Option to change # of screens on sense (7 is way too many for me)
-Option for different sizes of Sense clock
-Copy/paste added to gtalk

I know the lists are skimpy at moment...but Froyo is really great!!!

So, join me in your observations...


> Register at MDW | MDW Rules and Guidelines <
Click the Posted Image in a member's post to thank them for their post!
"BB Pearl > LG Dare > BB Storm 1 > BB Storm 2 > HTC Eris > Motorola Droid > HTC Incredible > Droid X > HTC Incredible > Samsung Fascinate - Rooted/CWM Recovery/Blackhole FROYO - WINNER" :angel


Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

    MyDroidWorld.com



#2 OFFLINE   R1Lover

    Android Master

  • Members
  • 1,874 posts
  • Device:Thunderbolt

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:15 PM

olta777 said:

Just wanted to see how everyone that loaded Froyo is doing...and how much you are liking it...

Let's discuss which features you love, which would you change? Are you using Sense UI or a 3rd party launcher? Which options would you like added? You get the idea...

I like....
-The speed
-Extra widgets
-Overall performance

I would like
-Option to change # of screens on sense (7 is way too many for me)
-Option for different sizes of Sense clock
-Copy/paste added to gtalk

I know the lists are skimpy at moment...but Froyo is really great!!!

So, join me in your observations...

1. Just don't use them no? lol
2. Download beautiful widgets, then use the Beautiful Home Smaller widget
3. I can paste to gtalk just fine..... not sure why I would want to copy it though?

Edited by R1Lover, 28 July 2010 - 11:17 PM.

Forum/Server Guru & Extreme Hosting Provider
Exactservers | Sutter Solutions LLC


#3 OFFLINE   jmiller98

    Junior Droid

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Twitter:Jmiller98_htc
  • Device:Thunderbolt/Incredible / Eris

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:13 AM

The only thing I would change is the way to drop or get rid of the keyboard. On 2.1 there was a button and on froyo there is not.

#4 OFFLINE   R1Lover

    Android Master

  • Members
  • 1,874 posts
  • Device:Thunderbolt

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:50 AM

just hit the back button and it goes away......

Forum/Server Guru & Extreme Hosting Provider
Exactservers | Sutter Solutions LLC


#5 OFFLINE   hijackerjack

    MDW Writer

  • Members
  • 334 posts
  • Twitter:www.twitter.com/hijackerjack
  • Device:Moto Droid, Droid X

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:00 AM

R1Lover said:

just hit the back button and it goes away......

LOL

#6 OFFLINE   theteflondon

    Junior Droid

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Device:Waiting for my Incredible

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:13 AM

I have been seeing all over the web a "leaked" version of froyo for incredible. I am wondering if this "leaked" version is fully functioning, or is it incomplete right now?
Thanks so much for all your help.:bangwall

#7 OFFLINE   dmchenry35

    Junior Droid

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Device:incredible

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:46 AM

Skyraider 2.0.1 is a fully functional 2.2 for the incredible. Has working camera and working camcorder.

Hopefully cyanogen gets the camcorder working soon.

#8 OFFLINE   abowlby

    Junior Droid

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Device:Motorola Droid

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:08 PM

@jmiller98

Haha, the back button works, but if you find yourself still hankering for that drop down button to get rid of the keyboard, try this newer build of Stock Froyo that includes the function you seek. Thanks goes to Kellex and the awesome crew at Droid-Life.

Please Login HERE or Register HERE to see this link!


I assure you, whatever the others promise to do, when it comes to the showdown, they won't be there...

#9 OFFLINE   xwera43

    Android Pro

  • Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:21 AM

abowlby said:

@jmiller98

Haha, the back button works, but if you find yourself still hankering for that drop down button to get rid of the keyboard, try this newer build of Stock Froyo that includes the function you seek. Thanks goes to Kellex and the awesome crew at Droid-Life.

Please Login HERE or Register HERE to see this link!


Just to make it clear. The linked file is the same as the one posted in the Incredible ROMs forum here on MDW leaked from XDA, dated 8/1/10 leak.

Just to keep everyone from getting confused. ;)

X

Sent from my Droid Incredible via Tapatalk

#10 OFFLINE   Mark_Venture

    Junior Droid

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Device:Thunderbolt and Bionic

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:34 AM

using the 8/1 leak, with the 2.15 radio, and the patches posted by rmk40 over on XDA.. I just installed it over the weekend and switched back to my INC on Monday so I haven't been using it long on the INC. Only put FROYO on my X last Friday...

Likes..
- I do like the performance on the INC. Its still nice and smooth, and quick. (the X is another story, it has lags and slow downs for some reason)

- Reception of my INC has also improved (one standard test I do with all phones I get, drive through the parking grarage at work. Only the BEST phones hold the call clearly, some phones get garbled until I come out, and the worst drop the call completely) While I can't say the signal bars have changed, the incredible used to DROP almost immediately when I entered the parking garage while on a call, now it holds it nearly completely clean, and the singal level is now at -72db at home with it, before it was -85 range.

- I like the new Gmail client with the pop out reply/forward at the TOP (his is a feature the more recently updated Gmail client and isn't there on the gmail app in the 8/1 froyo leak)

- Prev/next buttons in new Gmail app are also a welcome site. No more having to go back to the message list to open the next piece of mail.

- I like having the option for BT Voice Dial via my headset (moto H790). However, just like when using the phone's mic for voice dial, via BT isn't as accurate as I'd like. It still only gets it right about 1/2 the time (Nuance on the Devour, X and other phones is nearly 100% accurate). BUT its better than nothing!

Dislike...

- copy/paste works in more places but still doesn't work everywhere.

- for copy once you let go of the screen, it copies. There is no chance to adjust your selection.

- Meeting invites sent from outlook can't be accepted in the Gmail inbox. The invite looks like a regular piece of email, you have to exit out of Gmail, open the calendar, navigate to the date/time, open the appointment to accept/decline/tentative.
Personal devices... Verizon Droid X, HTC Inc
for full list see -> http://mark.cdmaforu...m/equipment.htm <-

#11 OFFLINE   olta777

    Android Master

  • VIP
  • 3,808 posts
  • Device:HTC Thunderbolt

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:29 PM

Mark_Venture said:

using the 8/1 leak, with the 2.15 radio, and the patches posted by rmk40 over on XDA.. I just installed it over the weekend and switched back to my INC on Monday so I haven't been using it long on the INC. Only put FROYO on my X last Friday...

Likes..
- I do like the performance on the INC. Its still nice and smooth, and quick. (the X is another story, it has lags and slow downs for some reason)

- Reception of my INC has also improved (one standard test I do with all phones I get, drive through the parking grarage at work. Only the BEST phones hold the call clearly, some phones get garbled until I come out, and the worst drop the call completely) While I can't say the signal bars have changed, the incredible used to DROP almost immediately when I entered the parking garage while on a call, now it holds it nearly completely clean, and the singal level is now at -72db at home with it, before it was -85 range.

- I like the new Gmail client with the pop out reply/forward at the TOP (his is a feature the more recently updated Gmail client and isn't there on the gmail app in the 8/1 froyo leak)

- Prev/next buttons in new Gmail app are also a welcome site. No more having to go back to the message list to open the next piece of mail.

- I like having the option for BT Voice Dial via my headset (moto H790). However, just like when using the phone's mic for voice dial, via BT isn't as accurate as I'd like. It still only gets it right about 1/2 the time (Nuance on the Devour, X and other phones is nearly 100% accurate). BUT its better than nothing!

Dislike...

- copy/paste works in more places but still doesn't work everywhere.

- for copy once you let go of the screen, it copies. There is no chance to adjust your selection.

- Meeting invites sent from outlook can't be accepted in the Gmail inbox. The invite looks like a regular piece of email, you have to exit out of Gmail, open the calendar, navigate to the date/time, open the appointment to accept/decline/tentative.

Mark, your feedback is very valuable!!!! On copy/paste, do you mean the X copy/paste or Sense on Inc? I use Copy Paste app from market and absolutely love it! It has solved all my copy/paste issues. Right now, I am using a vanilla ROM from source and the app fixes the android downsides. :)


> Register at MDW | MDW Rules and Guidelines <
Click the Posted Image in a member's post to thank them for their post!
"BB Pearl > LG Dare > BB Storm 1 > BB Storm 2 > HTC Eris > Motorola Droid > HTC Incredible > Droid X > HTC Incredible > Samsung Fascinate - Rooted/CWM Recovery/Blackhole FROYO - WINNER" :angel


#12 OFFLINE   Mark_Venture

    Junior Droid

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Device:Thunderbolt and Bionic

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:41 PM

olta777 said:

... On copy/paste, do you mean the X copy/paste or Sense on Inc? I use Copy Paste app from market and absolutely love it! It has solved all my copy/paste issues. Right now, I am using a vanilla ROM from source and the app fixes the android downsides. :)
Both. But Sense on INC is more complete/usable than X (especially copy from a web page). Since I'm rooted I thought about copy/paste apps, but I haven't tried them yet.
Personal devices... Verizon Droid X, HTC Inc
for full list see -> http://mark.cdmaforu...m/equipment.htm <-

#13 OFFLINE   xwera43

    Android Pro

  • Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:16 PM

Mark_Venture said:

Both. But Sense on INC is more complete/usable than X (especially copy from a web page). Since I'm rooted I thought about copy/paste apps, but I haven't tried them yet.

Mark, not sure if you noticed but in Gmail when you are trying to copy a cursor will appear. Move your finger over the joystick & you will see it. Place it where you want to start then click the joystick to begin selecting. Click again to copy your selection.

There is also a Gmail.apk out there that works properly. I believe it's v2.2.1. If you want to use the updated Gmail.apk and need help let me know & I'll help you out.

X

Edit: Thanks for the input. :)

Sent from my Droid Incredible via Tapatalk

#14 OFFLINE   Mark_Venture

    Junior Droid

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Device:Thunderbolt and Bionic

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:06 AM

xwera43 said:

Mark, not sure if you noticed but in Gmail when you are trying to copy a cursor will appear. Move your finger over the joystick & you will see it. Place it where you want to start then click the joystick to begin selecting. Click again to copy your selection.
You mean the little green pins (like you see when you select text to copy in the web browser?) That is if you are using the HTC Email app and configured your gmail account to use Exchange ActiveSync with the HTC Email app instead. If you go into Settings -> Accounts and add a Gmail account, by default it uses the Gmail app. It does not give you indications when you select text you want to copy. As you drag your finger, you'll see what is highligthed, as soon as you pick your finger off the screen, it says "Text copied to clip board" You can't adjust the start position.

Improperly pick the start position, you have to go Menu -> More -> select text... and start all over.

Selecting text using the HTC apps, like browser and email app are better. You tap/hold get the "pins" which show on screen and you can drag and change the start and end positions... then use the menu to copy when you are ready.

xwera43 said:

There is also a Gmail.apk out there that works properly. I believe it's v2.2.1. If you want to use the updated Gmail.apk and need help let me know & I'll help you out.
Right. The patches I added include the updated Gmail 2.2.1 apk which also gives the "fly out" of reply/reply all/forward at the top of each Gmail mail item. (similar to what is discussed at ->

Please Login HERE or Register HERE to see this link!

) Or is there another one?

Edited by Mark_Venture, 26 August 2010 - 11:11 AM.

Personal devices... Verizon Droid X, HTC Inc
for full list see -> http://mark.cdmaforu...m/equipment.htm <-

#15 OFFLINE   xwera43

    Android Pro

  • Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:16 PM

You have the correct Gmail app. As far as copying within the Gmail app... Press Menu/More/Select text. From there you will see a small arrow like on a computer. You may need to put your finger over the joystick and move it a bit for it to show on screen though. Place it where you want to start selecting and click the joystick, scroll over the text you want & click the joystick to copy the selected text.

Keep the Gmail app handy because it's not included on the OTA/update leaked today. ;)

X

Sent from my Droid Incredible via Tapatalk

#16 OFFLINE   Mark_Venture

    Junior Droid

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Device:Thunderbolt and Bionic

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:18 AM

xwera43 said:

You have the correct Gmail app. As far as copying within the Gmail app... Press Menu/More/Select text. From there you will see a small arrow like on a computer. You may need to put your finger over the joystick and move it a bit for it to show on screen though. Place it where you want to start selecting and click the joystick, scroll over the text you want & click the joystick to copy the selected text.
That is the same say you can start selecting using your finger. I hadn't tried using the optical joy stick. That isn't obvious as the first time I tried selecting, I didn't see the arrow. After you go Menu -> More -> Select.... its not until you actually start using the optical joystick that the arrow shows up. Instead, not seen this arrow, I was using my finger on the touch screen and when using your finger on the screen the experience for select/copy in gmail is as I described it.

That being said, I still like HTC's select/copy (as it works in the browser for example) much better, and I wish that was implemented consistently as select/copy everywhere on the device.
Personal devices... Verizon Droid X, HTC Inc
for full list see -> http://mark.cdmaforu...m/equipment.htm <-

#17 OFFLINE   andr0id

    Droid

  • Members
  • 260 posts
  • Device:HTC Incredible. Motorola Droid. Motorola Droid 2. Motorola Droid X.

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:54 PM

Ahh I was having the same cut and past problems in Gmail. It was so awful I wouldn't even use it. Ever. Never did notice that cursor, and always tried to use my finger, which NEVER selected the right text. I just gave up. I just tried it and moved the optical joystick and was able to see the cursor. While this method is far from perfect, it is definitely much better than what I was doing, and is actually useable! Thanks for the tip! Ya think ya know everything about your device them BAM....

#18 OFFLINE   xwera43

    Android Pro

  • Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 02:50 AM

Mark_Venture said:

That is the same say you can start selecting using your finger. I hadn't tried using the optical joy stick. That isn't obvious as the first time I tried selecting, I didn't see the arrow. After you go Menu -> More -> Select.... its not until you actually start using the optical joystick that the arrow shows up. Instead, not seen this arrow, I was using my finger on the touch screen and when using your finger on the screen the experience for select/copy in gmail is as I described it.

That being said, I still like HTC's select/copy (as it works in the browser for example) much better, and I wish that was implemented consistently as select/copy everywhere on the device.

Yeah, I found out on accident myself that's why I tried explaining it as best I could. :)

The HTC copy/paste is much better with added features too boot.

Glad you at least have it figured out (you too andr0id). Remember that the OTA or leaked OTA anyway, does not come with the cool new Gmail.apk. You'll have to add it and load a newer version of Flash too.

X

Sent from my Droid Incredible via Tapatalk

#19 OFFLINE   theteflondon

    Junior Droid

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Device:Waiting for my Incredible

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:09 AM

I love froyo so far i just would like to be able to use my custom boot animations, i tried pushing them in the same way i did on 2.1 but it wont work... I'm not sure what i am doing wrong also i used to have the Droid X Multi Touch Keyboard on my phone but it doesn't seem to work anymore either, i keep getting a message saying "The application Multi-touch keyboard (process com.android.inputmethod.latin) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." and my only choice is to force close. Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?
Thanks so much for all your help.:bangwall

#20 OFFLINE   xwera43

    Android Pro

  • Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:56 AM

theteflondon said:

I love froyo so far i just would like to be able to use my custom boot animations, i tried pushing them in the same way i did on 2.1 but it wont work... I'm not sure what i am doing wrong also i used to have the Droid X Multi Touch Keyboard on my phone but it doesn't seem to work anymore either, i keep getting a message saying "The application Multi-touch keyboard (process com.android.inputmethod.latin) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." and my only choice is to force close. Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

I wonder if you might try to set your keyboard settings again after installing/selecting that keyboard. Just a thought.

X





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users