#41 OFFLINE   sjsharks84

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Device:Droid 2

Posted 29 October 2010 - 05:02 PM

joshmichael91 said:

C&D legal issues such as?? (Just curious)
And of course the devs are working as hard as they can. It's understood they need the proper permissions from the appropiate people before releasing a fix to our mistakes.
just wish it'd happen faster.
not to say they're not working harder than their obligated to.

SBF contains proprietary Motorola code - that is all that is required for Cease and Desist.

Edited by sjsharks84, 29 October 2010 - 05:07 PM.

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

MyDroidWorld.com

#42 OFFLINE   Redflea

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Device:Moto Droid

Posted 29 October 2010 - 05:02 PM

dupe...

Edited by Redflea, 29 October 2010 - 05:05 PM.

#43 OFFLINE   joshmichael91

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 05:52 PM

sjsharks84 said:

SBF contains proprietary Motorola code - that is all that is required for Cease and Desist.

so if it can be that big a deal, what are the chances the SBF we're waiting for will be released?

#44 OFFLINE   samiusmc

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Device:Motorola Droid

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:05 PM

Michael7269 said:

Ok, I am a newb with my Droid 2. I am trying to update my device. It is rooted and I have put the deodexed update.zip in my download folder. Now when I go to my recovery menu, i only have:
Reboot system now
apply sdcard:update.zip
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
When I try to appy sdcard:update.zip it doesn't find it. And none of the other selections such as mounts and storage are on the list. Help please. Not sure what to do. And do I need to download the sbf file to my phone or my desktop.

I think your problem is the update.zip file is in your download folder. In order for it to be recognized, it must be in the root of your SD card. Take it out of the download folder and drop it into the root (C:/) for example.

#45 OFFLINE   Michael7269

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:42 PM

yuusharo said:

No worries, man. We're all newbies at first. Spend a few weeks here and you'll be a hacking pro ;).

The standard recovery isn't going to cut it - that's the one you get by holding the home and power button when turning on your phone. After you're rooted, you need to download and install Koush's Droid 2 bootstrap recovery. You can find it for free if you google it (the author offers it for free on his site), or you can donate to him by buying it on the Market for $1.99. Once installed, run the app and press the "bootstrap recovery" button. After you allow it and it says 'success,' tap the "reboot recovery" button. This is where you'll be able to install deodexed and custom roms, mount and format folders and partitions, etc.

Since this is sort of a hack, you'll have to use that application each time you want to boot into recovery, or else you'll go back to the stock Motorola recovery which doesn't have the fancy options.

Oh, and the SBF should be stored on your computer, but you should never have to use it. Most of the time, its unnecessary and overkill if you just want to do things like get yourself back to stock, and as we've seen it can actually be dangerous to use if your phone has recently been updated officially by Motorola. Flashing an old SBF on top of a new, officially updated phone can break it until a new SBF gets leaked out, which may or may not ever happen.

Only use the SBF in an emergency when your phone is completely hosed and you're certain that its the right version for your device. If used correctly, its a bulletproof safety net that will reset your entire phone back to factory conditions.

Ok, So I get into the recovery menu and after I mount system, nothing happens. not sure what I should do next. It won't let me install the zip.

Edited by Michael7269, 29 October 2010 - 07:05 PM.

#46 OFFLINE   ThornfullessRose

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Device:Droid II

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:53 PM

Sup. I wanna know sumthin. I see that they only have the system file up. now are the update.zip versions just the system also? not the full thing?
thanks in advance!

#47 OFFLINE   Michael7269

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 07:13 PM

Alright, I figured out what I was doing wrong, but when I try to install the the Deodexed.zip, I get the error Can't open /sdcard/D2-2320-Deodexed.zip(bad). Installation aborted. What do I do now?

#48 OFFLINE   Redflea

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 07:16 PM

download the zip again and copy it to your SD card, and start over on the install.

#49 OFFLINE   Michael7269

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 07:25 PM

Ok, I think I have done it now. I somehow did a reboot and now my phone is stuck on the M boot screen. Did I just brick it or can it be fixed?

#50 OFFLINE   cornhold

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:15 PM

joshmichael91 said:

How come i can't get the SYSTEM ONLY sdl to work?? im bricked and stuck at bootloader and windows isn't recongizing my phone as a955 it's saying its a "S flash" or whatever

Ok I ran into the same problem, I should have known something was wrong since the 2.3 file was only 280mb and the 2.2 file is like 440mb, What I did was I used RDSlite to flash the 2.2 file and it worked. I know people are saying not to flash the 2.2 after the update but hell it was bricked anyways so I really had nothing to lose. It worked for me.

#51 OFFLINE   Michael7269

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:23 PM

How do I reflash this back to 2.2 if it is bricked?

#52 OFFLINE   cornhold

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:29 PM

Michael7269 said:

How do I reflash this back to 2.2 if it is bricked?

I used RSDlite 4.9 and flashed the 2.2 sbf.

#53 OFFLINE   cornhold

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:11 PM

First you have to find the 2.2 sbf file, google it can be found on one of the forums. It may be a zip file or it may come in the sbf format. It the sbf format it will be a 434mb file. Hook up the phone to computer open RSDlite and then load the file. thats it.

#54 OFFLINE   Bushido Brown

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Device:The Deuce

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:16 PM

Redflea said:

As I understand it, the odexed and deodexed ZIP files posted here do not include the Radio, Kernel, and Bootloader updates.

You'd need to apply the actual OTA zip to get the radio/kernel/bootloader updates, but then you'd be stuck w/out an SBF option until the 2.3.20 SBF is released, since the OTA updates the bootloader, making it incompatible w/the current 2.2.20 SBF.

So that leaves me with 2 questions
1. will I even be prompted to download the official Motorola update after flashing the deodexed version?
2. assuming the answer to that question is yes, will the newest update by exploitable, ie: can I root again?

#55 OFFLINE   ThornfullessRose

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Device:Droid II

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:15 PM

Bushido Brown said:

So that leaves me with 2 questions
1. will I even be prompted to download the official Motorola update after flashing the deodexed version?
2. assuming the answer to that question is yes, will the newest update by exploitable, ie: can I root again?

i would also like to know this.

#56 OFFLINE   Redflea

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 06:49 AM

1. You should not be offered the OTA - your reported version will match the OTA update.
2. Yes - the existing D2 root methods have been reported to still work on this release

#57 OFFLINE   Matt4542

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Device:DROID2

Posted 30 October 2010 - 07:21 AM

Upload the full sbf haha. Can anyone confirm what is new in this? Can't remember if it is the same build as the OTA.

EDIT: Also does the sbf work with the D2's with the old cg's not updated? Just wanna make sure.

Edited by Matt4542, 30 October 2010 - 07:24 AM.

Check out my rom Epic for the DROID1 and DROID2 under Matt4542!

#58 OFFLINE   BBCrackman

Android Master

• Administrators
  • 2,983 posts
  • Twitter:@bbcrackman
  • Device:Too many...

Posted 30 October 2010 - 07:24 AM

Matt4542 said:

Upload the full sbf haha. Can anyone confirm what is new in this? Can't remember if it is the same build as the OTA.

Working on it...lol

Help support MDW and become a Supporting Member

#59 OFFLINE   Matt4542

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Device:DROID2

Posted 30 October 2010 - 07:32 AM

BBCrackman said:

Working on it...lol

Haha no worries :)
Check out my rom Epic for the DROID1 and DROID2 under Matt4542!

#60 OFFLINE   Redflea

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 08:22 AM

dupe

Edited by Redflea, 30 October 2010 - 10:38 AM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users