#2 OFFLINE   BBCrackman

Android Master

• Administrators
  • 2,983 posts
  • Twitter:@bbcrackman
  • Device:Too many...

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:52 PM

run this command from a command prompt
you must be in your tools folder (example: C:\sdk\tools\)

adb shell
mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblk4 /system
cd /system/app/
rm maps.apk
mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblk4 /system
sync
reboot

Help support MDW and become a Supporting Member

#3 OFFLINE   jtelander

Droid

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • Device:RAZR

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:08 PM

BBCrackman said:

run this command from a command prompt
you must be in your tools folder (example: C:\sdk\tools\)

adb shell
mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblk4 /system

after these two commands, received an "operation not permitted" response

#4 OFFLINE   teddyearp

Droid

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • Device:Motorola® A855

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:33 PM

"Operation not permitted":

If you are truly rooted, this might be the first time you've had to execute these commands. That said, did you look for and check the 'allow su access' button? Or try looking at your Superuser app and see if you've given su permissions to your terminal app. If it's not green there, delete that instance and try again, making sure you give permission when asked.

good luck

Edited by teddyearp, 18 November 2010 - 08:37 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   jtelander

Droid

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:38 PM

teddyearp said:

"Operation not permitted":

If you are truly rooted, this might be the first time you've had to execute these commands. That said, did you look for and check the 'allow su access' button? Or try looking at your Supreuser app and see if you've given su permissions to your terminal app. If it's not green there, delete that instance and try again, making sure you give permission when asked.

good luck

Thanks,

The terminal app does not appear in the list of apps with Superuser access, and I have not received notification that the terminal app is seeking superuser access...it isn't asking for permission.

#6 OFFLINE   jtelander

Droid

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:42 PM

Cancel that last reply..I didn't realize that a message had popped up on the droid re superuser status.

Thanks

#7 OFFLINE   jtelander

Droid

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 04:44 AM

I removed maps using the above directions, but am unable to install maps from the market.

I am now trying the steps outlined below, but I do not know how to open/edit packages.xml from withing the adb shell.

[QUOTE]To manually fix Maps, modify packages.xml, removing the section that starts with:

<shared-user name="com.google.android.apps.maps"

After you've taken that out, reboot your phone and then install Maps from the Market. If you get a Login Failed message, join Latitude. It will prompt you to authorize the app. Do that, and then you can un-join Latitude by selecting Privacy options and opting out.

To modify Packages.xml, do this:

adb root
adb remount
adb pull /data/system/packages.xml
(edit packages.xml, which is now in your working directory, with a text editor, removing the section described above)
adb push packages.xml /data/system/packages.xml
adb reboot[/QUOTE]

All suggestions gratefully accepted!

Edited by jtelander, 19 November 2010 - 05:31 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   teddyearp

Droid

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:21 PM

I am not familiar with that method, but on my Droid, I used SUFBS to go to /data/app and find the .apk that ended with either maps1.apk or maps2.apk (or both) and simply rename it to *.bak. Reboot, install, profit.

good luck

#9 OFFLINE   jtelander

Droid

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:37 AM

Still unable to install Maps from the Market.

I would love some help on this.

Thanks

#10 OFFLINE   teddyearp

Droid

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:49 PM

At this point and looking at your other threads/posts it becomes very difficult to see exactly where you want to go from here. I am not a moderator here, however you first made a post on 11/18 saying you wanted to just go back to FRG22D:

http://www.mydroidwo....html#post39375

Then you started this thread here:

http://www.mydroidwo...ion-builds.html

For which we have given some help, and now you have two other threads here:

http://www.mydroidwo...-fix-froyo.html

http://www.mydroidwo...k-together.html

ALL of these posts/threads of yours indicate your one problem. It makes it VERY difficult to try to answer multiple threads on one forum site for the same problem. If you want that much help, post the same problem on multiple different forum sites, not mutiple threads on one site. So, if you don't mind, maybe try to narrow this down to one thread and one thread only on this site, be specific as to what exactly you have done and where _exactly_ it fails and then perhaps we can go from there.

good luck

p.s. again, I stress I'm not a mod, and any mods here feel more than free to 'dink' or even delete my post. I am not all that, I only ride on the shoulders of giants.

Edited by teddyearp, 20 November 2010 - 08:00 PM.
humility

#11 OFFLINE   jtelander

Droid

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:24 AM

Really only two issues

(1) Instability, which may (or may not) be related to FRG83 v.s. FR22D. I'm not overclocking at this point, so I"m interested in seeing if the change in version is the culprit. I have received zero feedback regarding the procedure for going from FRG83 to a previous version of Froyo.

(2) Inability to update the Maps app from version 4.3.1 to the current version (4.7).

Essentially there are 3 methods that have been posted on this forum with regard to Maps updates.

Those methods are described here http://www.mydroidwo...-fix-froyo.html

Reading through that thread, and every other thread I've found on this forum with respect to Maps, the recommended methods essentially involve one of the following methods:

Method (a) Using adb - the guidance I've found on this forum for doing this with adb indicated it should not be done from within the adb shell. When I attempt to use this method, the root command returns the error message "adbd can not run as root in production builds"

Method (b) Using Root Explorer - I have followed those instructions, but fail at the point wherein I attempt to install the app that I've saved to the SD card. It will not install.

Method © editing the packages.xml file using adb - This is problematic because of the error message I mentioned above when not in the shell environment, and because I don't know how to do it from within the shell environment. I've attempted a workaround using root explorer to move the file, edit it and replace it...but that method ultimately did not work either.

I hope that clears things up for you and makes it easier for you to see exactly where I want to go. What version of Maps are you running?

Edited by jtelander, 21 November 2010 - 05:29 AM.
Increase clarity

#12 OFFLINE   teddyearp

Droid

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 08:52 AM

1. Well, as far as getting back to FRG22D, I am sure you could just aquire your favorite build of it and then flash back to it via your favorite custom recovery system, wiping at least data and cache first.
2. I am not sure but doing number 1, might have a bearing on this? Where did you get your FRG83?

Now as to Method A, which relates to the thread you linked, I don't know why they would have to run the 'adb root' command, but that's just me. AFAIK, every time I run adb ahell it already has root indicated by the '#' prompt as opposed to a '$' prompt. Besides, in my experience, both method a and method c seem to be the long way around the barn.

I would stick with my version of method b. As I already posted, find every instance of maps in both /system/app and /data/app and rename then by changing the '.apk' to .bak'. Make sure you mount the respective partitions as read/write before doing so, otherwise it won't stick. I use SUFBS, but I am sure Root Explorer has this same feature. Then remount them as read only, reboot your phone and try installing maps just from the market. I have an 'Maps.bak' and 'com.google.android.apps.maps2.bak' in my /system/app and probably both a 'com.x.x.x.maps1 & maps2.bak' in /data/app. I've never even bothered with any .xml files, nor messed with any adb uninstall command, nor messed with any of my files in /data/data. Hope this helps, as I think the main thing for you to have to make sure of using Root Explorer is making sure you have mounted /system and /data as read/write.

Oh, I have maps 4.7, just updated the other day and had troubles. Used my method and got it done just jine, then themed it myself and re-installed it.

good luck

Edited by teddyearp, 21 November 2010 - 08:54 AM.

#13 OFFLINE   jtelander

Droid

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:01 PM

teddyearp said:

1. Well, as far as getting back to FRG22D, I am sure you could just aquire your favorite build of it and then flash back to it via your favorite custom recovery system, wiping at least data and cache first.
2. I am not sure but doing number 1, might have a bearing on this? Where did you get your FRG83?

Now as to Method A, which relates to the thread you linked, I don't know why they would have to run the 'adb root' command, but that's just me. AFAIK, every time I run adb ahell it already has root indicated by the '#' prompt as opposed to a '$' prompt. Besides, in my experience, both method a and method c seem to be the long way around the barn.

I would stick with my version of method b. As I already posted, find every instance of maps in both /system/app and /data/app and rename then by changing the '.apk' to .bak'. Make sure you mount the respective partitions as read/write before doing so, otherwise it won't stick. I use SUFBS, but I am sure Root Explorer has this same feature. Then remount them as read only, reboot your phone and try installing maps just from the market. I have an 'Maps.bak' and 'com.google.android.apps.maps2.bak' in my /system/app and probably both a 'com.x.x.x.maps1 & maps2.bak' in /data/app. I've never even bothered with any .xml files, nor messed with any adb uninstall command, nor messed with any of my files in /data/data. Hope this helps, as I think the main thing for you to have to make sure of using Root Explorer is making sure you have mounted /system and /data as read/write.

Oh, I have maps 4.7, just updated the other day and had troubles. Used my method and got it done just jine, then themed it myself and re-installed it.

good luck

I got FRG83 on this site prior to C & D.

All of the maps in both /system/app and /data/app and rename then by changing the '.apk' to .bak'

I rebooted and Maps is gone. I attempted to install from Market and received "Installation Unsuccessful" message after downloading. So now, not only do I not have 4.7, I don't have 4.3 either.
Suggestions?

#14 OFFLINE   teddyearp

Droid

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:17 AM

Go on your phone to menu -> settings -> applications -> manage applications then select the tab at the top for 'all'. Then find vending.apk (or Market can't remember how it shows there) and select it. Clear data and cache for market. Reboot and try again. If that doesn't work, you can still rename on of those from .bak back to .apk and get maps back. That's the nice thing about renaming them instead of flat deleting or moving them.

good luck

#15 OFFLINE   Simran

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Device:HTC Hero

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:24 AM

Have you fixed it yet ?

#16 OFFLINE   jtelander

Droid

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:13 AM

teddyearp said:

Go on your phone to menu -> settings -> applications -> manage applications then select the tab at the top for 'all'. Then find vending.apk (or Market can't remember how it shows there) and select it. Clear data and cache for market. Reboot and try again. If that doesn't work, you can still rename on of those from .bak back to .apk and get maps back. That's the nice thing about renaming them instead of flat deleting or moving them.

good luck

That did not work. Furthermore, when I attempted to go back to Maps 4.3 by renaming the .bak to .apk, the phone locked up on reboot. I had to pull that battery but still could not get it to reboot. Ultimately I did a restore with SPRecovery to get the phone to reboot successfully. That also restored Maps 4.3, so I've made no progress.

I wonder if the presence of other Maps related files or programs could play a role here? For example, I have "my tracks" and "handy runner" and "compass" applications, all of which have some capability of interacting with maps. When I search the phone for all files that contain "maps" it is a long list.

#17 OFFLINE   jtelander

Droid

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:13 AM

Simran said:

Have you fixed it yet ?

No I have not.

#18 OFFLINE   teddyearp

Droid

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:20 AM

Well, I am stumped. I wish I could help more, but I am out of ideas. I have never read of a situation like yours when I or another follows exactly the steps I have laid out here. I have never heard of a situation of renaming one of the maps .pak's back from .bak to .apk. So at this point I am out of ideas that would stay within the scope of this thread. You were able to restore to an earlier backup, I suggest you continue down that type of road until you get it done. In the meantime, hopefully someone with more ideas will pop in here.

good luck

#19 OFFLINE   jtelander

Droid

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 07:48 AM

teddyearp said:

someone with more ideas will pop in here

Or not.

Thanks for trying

6 user(s) are reading this topic