78 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   CellZealot

Android Pro

• Moderators
  • 414 posts
  • Device:D1,D2 dev, DX dev, D2G dev, D Pro dev, D3, Bionic

Posted 26 February 2011 - 10:26 AM

dinlaca said:

Any updated word on timing for getting this off the ground? I have yet to hear back after initial contact.

Thanks for letting us know.

Yes, hopefully as soon as tonight or tomorrow we will be contacting everyone with payment and shipping address info.

P3droid has been feeling somewhat better and has decided it is best for him to do the first phones again.

You all have been very patient with the delays and we appreciate it very much.
Managing the logistics of this between our regular jobs was our primary concern from the outset, and has proven to be a PITA as anticipated.

We really are very eager to start doing this and show people that it really works and generate some buzz and feedback.

All of this is why the folks at DroidBandUnlock backed away when they realized they couldn't make it work via remote methods at this point.
CellZealot

TeamBlackHat

Digital alchemy for Droid and beyond

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

MyDroidWorld.com

#42 OFFLINE   dinlaca

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Device:Motorola Droid 2 Global

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:52 PM

Glad to hear that things are back on track. Looking forward to receiving the contact/payment info.

One thing I am curious about, with respect to distribution: Is there any way that you can IMEI-security lock an .sbf that contains the unlock, so that the .sbf (a) can only be opened by someone with the right IMEI, and (b) can only be flashed to the phone that has the right IMEI? That way, the fix would be out there, readily distributable and usable by those who pay, but NOT in the public domain. Just a thought (which may not work, but thought I would put it out there).

Thanks again for getting back to us, and for keeping us posted.

#43 OFFLINE   CellZealot

Android Pro

• Moderators
  • 414 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:33 PM

No problem, and no that is not possible. We have considered a number of various means of making this easier and none are really practical at this point.

You will be hearing from p3droid shortly as we are discussing final arrangements right now.

One of our members, Null, has been busily decompiling RadioComm with an eye towards creating a custom utility that could manage this but that could take some time.

We have already wasted too much time trying to make this simple and manageable and we feel we just have to get it going so people can see that it works and is worth the money and effort.
CellZealot

TeamBlackHat

#44 OFFLINE   dinlaca

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:55 PM

CellZealot said:

[W]e feel we just have to get it going so people can see that it works and is worth the money and effort.

I completely agree with you. I have not yet been contacted. I know that one is not supposed to ask about timing, but . . . my idle D2G really wants to know when it will be tasting AT&T goodness. :)

Thanks again for all the hard work that you guys put in; much appreciated.

#45 OFFLINE   elgordo7

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Device:G1

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:44 PM

CellZealot said:

No problem, and no that is not possible. We have considered a number of various means of making this easier and none are really practical at this point.

You will be hearing from p3droid shortly as we are discussing final arrangements right now.

One of our members, Null, has been busily decompiling RadioComm with an eye towards creating a custom utility that could manage this but that could take some time.

We have already wasted too much time trying to make this simple and manageable and we feel we just have to get it going so people can see that it works and is worth the money and effort.

Is this project still in the works? I am interested in the paid unlock- Just to verify- 3G will or will NOT work on a T-mobile network with the D2G?

Regards

#46 OFFLINE   dinlaca

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:06 PM

elgordo7 said:

Is this project still in the works? I am interested in the paid unlock- Just to verify- 3G will or will NOT work on a T-mobile network with the D2G?

Regards

Yes, I believe this project is still ongoing. I just got my unlocked D2G back, and it works very well (too well, in fact - see below).

But, I am pretty sure that the unlock only works for 3G on ATT frequencies; no 3G on T-Mobile frequencies (though someone correct me if I am wrong). Having said that, EDGE should be available on T-Mo.

Hope that helps.

#47 OFFLINE   dinlaca

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:13 PM

So, I have my newly unlocked D2G (thanks, P3Droid (and Cellzealot for organizing)), and I love it as it works very well. Too well, in fact, as within the first 90 seconds of it being on the ATT network, I got a window popup telling me of an update (to 2.3.330) and asking me if I wanted to download and install it (to which I promptly replied "no", and then turned off phone).

Which brings me to a couple of qs re: KEEPING the phone unlocked:

1. What is the best method to prevent OTA updates? I have seen some sources advocate using Ti Backup and freezing a couple of the apps (e.g., FOTA, and one other), other sources advocate changing the otacerts file, and other sources advocate just doing a clean install of a new, different ROM (Fission??) on top of the modded radio. I am looking for folks' thoughts on the best approach to take.

2. Assuming we ever see a GB ROM for this baby, will there be either (a) a ROM-only upgrade path (i.e., which lets you keep the modded radio, but puts GB on top of it), or (b) a hack of the GB ROM radio contained in the updated GB sbf which permits the same functionality under GB (with updated radio)? Curious as to thoughts from those in the know.

Thanks again for a great service, and I hope for positive answers (at least as to item 1, above).

#48 OFFLINE   Aixelsyd

Android Master

• Administrators
  • 984 posts
  • Device:Droid

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:49 PM

dinlaca said:

Yes, I believe this project is still ongoing. I just got my unlocked D2G back, and it works very well (too well, in fact - see below).

But, I am pretty sure that the unlock only works for 3G on ATT frequencies; no 3G on T-Mobile frequencies (though someone correct me if I am wrong). Having said that, EDGE should be available on T-Mo.

Hope that helps.

that is correct that 3g only works on AT&T. T-Mob uses a different frequency and the D2g does not have it to be able to use 3G on T-Mob. I have a PRO and D2g both unlocked and 3G works fine on AT&T but does NOT work on T-Mob only Edge works on T-Mob.

#49 OFFLINE   CellZealot

Android Pro

• Moderators
  • 414 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 05:34 PM

Yes this project is definitely ongoing and we appreciate to positive feedback thanks!

I renamed three things and have not received a pushed OTA since doing that.

Otacerts

FOTA.apk

BlurUpdater_VZW.apk

Regarding the possibility of updating the firmware and maintaining the radio, we aren't sure until we see the build if that will be possible.
It should be in theory but we can't say with any confidence whether D2G users will have these options or not.
We certainly hope to be able to provide greater flexibility for everyone and make it less cumbersome to manage.

Anyone who is interested should PM p3droid here on MDW for complete terms and mailing instructions.

Thanks to everyone again for their forebearance, this hasn't been easy or graceful to make happen and we have our fingers in too many pots sometimes.

Edited by CellZealot, 12 April 2011 - 05:38 PM.

CellZealot

TeamBlackHat

#50 OFFLINE   elgordo7

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Device:G1

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:39 PM

Thanks for the feedback, folks.

Props to dinlaca for answering my question & Aixelsyd for the confirmation.

Regards

#51 OFFLINE   dinlaca

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:42 PM

CellZealot said:

Yes this project is definitely ongoing and we appreciate to positive feedback thanks!

I renamed three things and have not received a pushed OTA since doing that.

Otacerts

FOTA.apk

BlurUpdater_VZW.apk

Regarding the possibility of updating the firmware and maintaining the radio, we aren't sure until we see the build if that will be possible.
It should be in theory but we can't say with any confidence whether D2G users will have these options or not.
We certainly hope to be able to provide greater flexibility for everyone and make it less cumbersome to manage.

Anyone who is interested should PM p3droid here on MDW for complete terms and mailing instructions.

Thanks to everyone again for their forebearance, this hasn't been easy or graceful to make happen and we have our fingers in too many pots sometimes.

Thanks again for the prompt response, and the additional information.

I will implement your suggestion to avoid OTA.

I can only speak for myself, but I am ONE VERY SATISFIED customer of this process. P3droid and Cellzealot are amazing at what they do!!

#52 OFFLINE   Xdarkest

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 06:42 AM

With project can we unlock the droid without unlock code or by some other ways, as i know many droid do not accept unlock code, and my droid is one of them, I'm outside US and not a Verizon customer

#53 OFFLINE   CellZealot

Android Pro

• Moderators
  • 414 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:21 AM

No, unfortunately we cannot SIM unlock any phones. That is a separate problem and we can only band unlock devices that have already had SIM lock removed.

On another note, we have a new build for the Pro that works with the band unlock and is by far the best build yet for this phone.
I currently have 224 hours up time on my Pro running the 3.8.7 build on my AT&T SIM with no radio resets or any other problems whatsoever.

We will be making that available soon too.
CellZealot

TeamBlackHat

#54 OFFLINE   sidney102

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Device:Droid Pro

Posted 16 April 2011 - 02:32 AM

Hi

Please let me know how to band unlock the Droid Pro, I would like to use the Droid Pro in Germany/ tmobile or O2, I did the sim unlock through verizon.

#55 OFFLINE   dinlaca

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:00 PM

So I have had my band unlocked D2G for 2 weeks now. Overall, I am very pleased, and it is working great on the ST network (ATT MVNO).

One issue that has come up is that the GSM/UMTS radio freezes/sleeps every 24 hours or so. Problem manifests itself after 11PM (PST) in that, if I leave it on overnight, when I wake up in the AM there is a message on my phone that says "No GSM/UMTS network can be found" (or something like that). I cannot make calls or access data network when the phone is in this mode, so I know that the radio has frozen or gone to sleep. The issue quickly clears when I turn my phone off, leave it off for 2-3 minutes, and turn it back on. This issue is repeatable (has happened every night for the last 3 nights).

I am not sure if this is an issue with the band-unlocked radio ROM, with the fact that I am using an ATT MVNO (ST), instead of ATT, or with the fact that there is an IMEI mismatch between the phone I am using with the SIM card (D2G) and the phone I am supposed to be using with the SIM card (Nokia E71) (I doubt the latter two, as I have used the SIM card in two other unlocked phones on same network and with IMEI mismatch, but without issue, but am throwing out those variables for sake of completeness).

I can live with this issue going forward, but would rather fix it if it is fixable. Thoughts/comments appreciated.

#56 OFFLINE   dinlaca

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:04 PM

In view of your experience, do you anticipate that it will be easier to upgrade band-unlocked phone from Froyo to Gingerbread, and KEEP the band-unlocked, if the band-unlocked phone is a D2G (which I have) or a Droid Pro (which I can get)?

Thanks for letting us know.

CellZealot said:

... On another note, we have a new build for the Pro that works with the band unlock and is by far the best build yet for this phone.
I currently have 224 hours up time on my Pro running the 3.8.7 build on my AT&T SIM with no radio resets or any other problems whatsoever.

We will be making that available soon too.

#57 OFFLINE   Wbarkeley

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 01:20 PM

Hey!

I have a Droid 2 Global and a Droid Pro that I need to get running on AT&T. I am reading all of the discussion surrounding the subject but I can't seem to find a website where I can order the unlock.

Any help would be great! I have two expensive phones just waiting to be kissed by some GSM magic!

Thank you

#58 OFFLINE   Aixelsyd

Android Master

• Administrators
  • 984 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 01:26 PM

Wbarkeley said:

Hey!

I have a Droid 2 Global and a Droid Pro that I need to get running on AT&T. I am reading all of the discussion surrounding the subject but I can't seem to find a website where I can order the unlock.

Any help would be great! I have two expensive phones just waiting to be kissed by some GSM magic!

Thank you

Just having the unlock code will NOT get your device active on AT&T FYI. to use a D2g or PRO on a GSM network like AT&T or T-Mobile in the states requires more then it being unlocked via a code.

#59 OFFLINE   Wbarkeley

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 01:31 PM

I realize that. But people have gotten it to work on AT&T so I just need to know how to do it.

#60 OFFLINE   Aixelsyd

Android Master

• Administrators
  • 984 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 01:42 PM

Wbarkeley said:

I realize that. But people have gotten it to work on AT&T so I just need to know how to do it.

I own one of each myself and they work on GSM but it entails sending the devices off to TBH and having them unlock it. The info is NOWHERE to be found on the web as it is in indepth process to get it done because of the way the bands have been blocked by Moto/VZW.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users