Jump to content

Check us out:

- - - - -

Xoom vs iPad 2



10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   scrub175

    Droid

  • Members
  • 227 posts
  • LocationJensen Beach Florida
  • Twitter:@scrub175
  • Device:GNEX

Posted 12 March 2011 - 06:48 AM

Got both on launch. Plan on writing an article. Please post topics for me to address or specific questions you may have. I'm sure there are folks waiting for Xoom wifi that are also intrigued by the new iPad. Been working six twelves a week, so I will make time tomorrow.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

    MyDroidWorld.com



#2 OFFLINE   jlevy73

    Android Master

  • Members
  • 1,642 posts
  • Device:Nexus One/Nexus S

Posted 12 March 2011 - 11:41 AM

scrub175 said:

Got both on launch. Plan on writing an article. Please post topics for me to address or specific questions you may have. I'm sure there are folks waiting for Xoom wifi that are also intrigued by the new iPad. Been working six twelves a week, so I will make time tomorrow.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Screen quality of each, gaming experience and features.

#3 OFFLINE   nusakan

    MDW Noob

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Device:Motorola Xoom, HTC EVO

Posted 13 March 2011 - 08:13 PM

Sucks that I got the Ipad like 3 months before the iPad 2 came out. I'd like to see your opintion on it. Most articles i've read seems to make this more like an iPAD 1.5 and not really a 2.
Nusakan's Touhou SWF Page http://home.comcast....usakan/swf.html

#4 OFFLINE   jlevy73

    Android Master

  • Members
  • 1,642 posts
  • Device:Nexus One/Nexus S

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:09 PM

nusakan said:

Sucks that I got the Ipad like 3 months before the iPad 2 came out. I'd like to see your opintion on it. Most articles i've read seems to make this more like an iPAD 1.5 and not really a 2.

I've read just the contrary. Here's a very in-depth review from Engadget:

Please Login HERE or Register HERE to see this link!



#5 OFFLINE   kris

    MDW Noob

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Device:Xoom & Samsung Fascinate

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:50 PM

Gotta say that being real thin .. too thin .. can be a major drawback too .. possibly more fragile. It was posted last week on Xoom Forums where a guy left his Xoom in the dedicated Portfolio Case (bought it the day before!) on the hood of his car and drove off. You can imagine his horror when he realized what he had done, drove back and .... yep! someone had driven over it. There were marks were on the case, but in spite ... it still worked. As for the camera .. not even close to the Xoom camera. Here ..

Please Login HERE or Register HERE to see this link!



#6 OFFLINE   jlevy73

    Android Master

  • Members
  • 1,642 posts
  • Device:Nexus One/Nexus S

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:40 PM

kris said:

Gotta say that being real thin .. too thin .. can be a major drawback too .. possibly more fragile. It was posted last week on Xoom Forums where a guy left his Xoom in the dedicated Portfolio Case (bought it the day before!) on the hood of his car and drove off. You can imagine his horror when he realized what he had done, drove back and .... yep! someone had driven over it. There were marks were on the case, but in spite ... it still worked. As for the camera .. not even close to the Xoom camera. Here ..

Please Login HERE or Register HERE to see this link!


Yeah, I read the same article. Looks like Apple swung and missed on the camera.

#7 OFFLINE   kris

    MDW Noob

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Device:Xoom & Samsung Fascinate

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:25 PM

Just read where Apple made the glass thinner and it's glued ! This is how they were able to lighten the weight of the unit. Don't know how ya'll feel about the thinner glass, and especially glue, but it just reinforces my decision on getting a Xoom.

[ Originally Posted by zuiko
I saw a video of the ipad2 being disassembled and apparently a good chunk of the weight/thickness difference comes from the glass being thinner than in the original. It is also glued in instead of held in with clips. So I am not sure whether that is much of a feature either.]

Please Login HERE or Register HERE to see this link!



#8 OFFLINE   moosc

    Android Master

  • VIP
  • 1,658 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC
  • Twitter:moosc
  • Device:DroidX on CM7, XOOM WITH HAMMERHEAD, DROID BIONIC ON STEROIDS 893..

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:11 PM

yea only way to get to iPad2 insides is to take a heat gun and warm the glue then gently pry it apart and hope u don't snap the glass. have u seen the galaxy tab 10.1 video from France its 11mins long but shows some nice features and it looks thinner then xoom

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

#9 OFFLINE   movein69

    MDW Noob

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Device:Xoom, Evo 4g

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:04 PM

moosc said:

yea only way to get to iPad2 insides is to take a heat gun and warm the glue then gently pry it apart and hope u don't snap the glass. have u seen the galaxy tab 10.1 video from France its 11mins long but shows some nice features and it looks thinner then xoom

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I saw it and it looks cool too but just so you know most of it is honeycomb related and the zoom does it all too. Got my hands on ipad2 and it is too thin for me.

#10 OFFLINE   kris

    MDW Noob

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Device:Xoom & Samsung Fascinate

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:22 PM

The larger Tab appeared to look like a Xoom knockoff in one video review of it. I am hearing from several techs that Motorola has better hardware with the phones and most likely the tablets too. Samsung is great with their TVs

Edited by kris, 15 March 2011 - 06:04 PM.
sp


#11 OFFLINE   moosc

    Android Master

  • VIP
  • 1,658 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC
  • Twitter:moosc
  • Device:DroidX on CM7, XOOM WITH HAMMERHEAD, DROID BIONIC ON STEROIDS 893..

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:54 PM

yea so far no has skinned honeycomb. I look at like this I pay 60$ for my VZW aircard and only 5gb. If I can get a tablet with 4g and 5gb data for 50$ that is what I'm going to buy. as with iPhone jobs feels like there's no need to use faster radios so that fails. so far only xoom seems to be offering it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk





2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users