How To ROOT Your Droid on 2.0.1 - Simple Noob Guide

107 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   olta777

Android Master

• VIP
  • 3,808 posts
  • Device:HTC Thunderbolt

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:35 AM

WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING YOU DO TO YOUR PHONE, THEREFORE TRY AT OWN RISK.

OBTAINING ROOT

ROOT FILE Link:

Please Login HERE or Register HERE to see this link!

1. Connect phone to PC via USB. Pull down notification bar and select USB connection, then select "Mount" SD card.

2. Download the

3. Transfer the downloaded update.zip file to root of SD card. Once the file copied/moved, "Unmount" SD card.

4. Power off the phone, then while holding “X” on the physical keyboard, hold the power button to turn on the phone. You may let go of the power button, but do not let go of X until SP recovery menu comes up.

5. When you see a "/!\" symbol, press both vol+ and camera.

6. The menu will have four options, select “apply sdcard:update.zip”. Use the directional pad to navigate and push the gold center button to select it. The process will run for a few minutes.

7. Once the process is done, select “reboot system now” and select it. Your Droid will reboot, and when complete, you may open select your app drawer to bring up applications...where you will see a Ninja icon named "Superuser Permissions."

Your Droid has been rooted successfully. :)

IF YOU ARE ON 2.1, PLEASE VISIT THIS THREAD FIRST BEFORE ATTEMPTING A ROOT:
http://www.mydroidwo...-0-1-2-1-a.html :)

Edited by olta777, 08 June 2010 - 04:55 PM.

> Register at MDW | MDW Rules and Guidelines <
Click the Posted Image in a member's post to thank them for their post!
"BB Pearl > LG Dare > BB Storm 1 > BB Storm 2 > HTC Eris > Motorola Droid > HTC Incredible > Droid X > HTC Incredible > Samsung Fascinate - Rooted/CWM Recovery/Blackhole FROYO - WINNER" :angel

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

MyDroidWorld.com

#2 Guest_Ataranine_*

• Guests

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:10 PM

So I did this.. and when I click on the Superuser Permissions it goes into a black window and does nothing.. is it supposed to do that? I mean, how am I "rooted" just because of that?

#3 OFFLINE   olta777

Android Master

• VIP
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:11 PM

Ataranine said:

So I did this.. and when I click on the Superuser Permissions it goes into a black window and does nothing.. is it supposed to do that? I mean, how am I "rooted" just because of that?

That's exactly what you should see... It will be blank for a while...then you may have an item or two in there. But no worries, you are rooted!!! :)

"BB Pearl > LG Dare > BB Storm 1 > BB Storm 2 > HTC Eris > Motorola Droid > HTC Incredible > Droid X > HTC Incredible > Samsung Fascinate - Rooted/CWM Recovery/Blackhole FROYO - WINNER" :angel

#4 Guest_Ataranine_*

• Guests

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:26 PM

So if I'm rooted how come I can't open SetCpu and overclock? And also where do I get the custom kernels from for like 8 or 9 hundred Megahertz?

#5 OFFLINE   olta777

Android Master

• VIP
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:44 PM

Ataranine said:

So if I'm rooted how come I can't open SetCpu and overclock? And also where do I get the custom kernels from for like 8 or 9 hundred Megahertz?

OK, so yes you need to download and flash the overclock kernel first, then change it in set CPU. I recommend using one of ChevyNo1 OC kernels. Let me link you to one of his Roms that has the links. You would do the same process as you did to root...except menu will be different. Now before you oc, I would encourage running flash_image and installing SirPsychos custom recovery image.

Link: http://www.mydroidwo...ernels-etc.html

Chevy's rom where oc kernels are: http://www.mydroidwo...-20-2010-a.html

:)

#6 Guest_Ataranine_*

• Guests

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:40 PM

I'm going to need you to help me.. like.. a lot.. I have all the stuff downloaded but I can't figure out how to install the custom recovery image. :(
Actually, I did that.. now I can't figure out how to flash the evilboot8.img file so I can overclock the phone to 800Mhz..

Edited by Ataranine, 02 March 2010 - 08:57 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   olta777

Android Master

• VIP
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:12 PM

Ataranine said:

I'm going to need you to help me.. like.. a lot.. I have all the stuff downloaded but I can't figure out how to install the custom recovery image. :(
Actually, I did that.. now I can't figure out how to flash the evilboot8.img file so I can overclock the phone to 800Mhz..

Ok...so you have the evilboot8.img...you will need to use the commands...let me find those for you...or you can do the nandroid way. Have you flashed SirPsychos recovery yet? (the guide on installing custom recovery image)...btw it will allow you to create full system back ups. :)

#8 OFFLINE   olta777

Android Master

• VIP
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:15 PM

Ok, here is a step-by-step (but you will adjust to desired image you want)

...but I am telling ya Nandroid is so much easier and faster ;)

Also with Chevy's you get 10 slots, that means you can just slide the slider and go from 550 to 700 to 800 to 900 to 1000 etc. It's a joy!

#9 OFFLINE   olta777

Android Master

• VIP
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:22 PM

Alright, once you flash SP recovery (custom recovery image), here is an easy way to OC...

Download

then follow:
http://www.mydroidwo...update-zip.html

It's exactly same process... :)

#10 Guest_Ataranine_*

• Guests

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:22 AM

I've flashed my phone with Bugless Beast and the 800Mhz Kernel. Running pretty good and steady right now.. I had it at 1Ghz last night but it started to get a little warm around the top of the back side.. maybe because I had it plugged in?

#11 OFFLINE   jlutgring

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Device:Droid

Posted 12 March 2010 - 11:41 PM

I'm trying to root my Droid using the steps you outline but I'm not getting very far. The only thing that I see is a sort of error screen (yellow exclamation in a triangle next to what looks to be some sort of flash card) I held the x until my fingers numb but I never see a menu. Any thoughts?

olta777 said:

WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING YOU DO TO YOUR PHONE, THEREFORE TRY AT OWN RISK.

OBTAINING ROOT

ROOT FILE Link:

1. Connect phone to PC via USB. Pull down notification bar and select USB connection, then select "Mount" SD card.

2. Download the

3. Transfer the downloaded update.zip file to root of SD card. Once the file copied/moved, "Unmount" SD card.

4. Power off the phone, then while holding “X” on the physical keyboard, hold the power button to turn on the phone. You may let go of the power button, but do not let go of X until SP recovery menu comes up.

5. The menu will have four options, select “apply sdcard:update.zip”. Use the directional pad to navigate and push the gold center button to select it. The process will run for a few minutes.

6. Once the process is done, select “reboot system now” and select it. Your Droid will reboot, and when complete, you may open select your app drawer to bring up applications...where you will see a Ninja icon named "Superuser Permissions."

Your Droid has been rooted successfully. :)

#12 OFFLINE   olta777

Android Master

• VIP
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 11:45 PM

jlutgring said:

I'm trying to root my Droid using the steps you outline but I'm not getting very far. The only thing that I see is a sort of error screen (yellow exclamation in a triangle next to what looks to be some sort of flash card) I held the x until my fingers numb but I never see a menu. Any thoughts?

Ok...do you see any wording on that screen besides the image? :)

#13 OFFLINE   jlutgring

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Device:Droid

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:14 AM

olta777 said:

Ok...do you see any wording on that screen besides the image? :)

Nope. Just the image.

#14 OFFLINE   olta777

Android Master

• VIP
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 01:51 AM

jlutgring said:

Nope. Just the image.

I would re-run the root process. :)

(make sure you do have the update.zip file in the root of sd)...then power off the phone. Once phone turns off, press and hold X, THEN press power button, and let go off it when moto logo comes on, BUT KEEP HOLDING the X button...until menu comes up. So, do not let go off X thru the process until the desired menu shows up. :)

#15 OFFLINE   sandman1987

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Device:Motorola Droid

Posted 18 March 2010 - 05:38 PM

jlutgring said:

Ok, I'm having the same problem. Here's what I have done so far. I downloaded the SDK, I downloaded and installed the USB Debugging drivers, I downloaded the Droid Root File (update.zip), I mounted my SD card, I moved update.zip to the root directory, I turned off my SD card, I turned off my phone, I held the physical X key and then turned on my phone. I got the Motorola M and then the triangle with an exclamation point screen. I attempted this several times with the same result. So I deleted update.zip from my card, removed the battery and then turned the phone on again. I verified it was deleted and then turned the phone off and tried the X power on again (without the update.zip installed) and STILL got the Triangle Exclamation. Battery pull and power on then re-downloaded update.zip, mount, move, turn off, then power off and then the X power on again with the same result.

Any help would be appreciated!

#16 OFFLINE   MoJo

Droid

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 05:51 PM

Once you get to the screen with the triangle. ... you have to press the volume up and the camera key at the same time. Its tricky but is easy at the same time.

"Harley Davidson - The Perfect Machine to Turn Gasoline into Noise Without the Pesky Bi-Product of Horsepower!"

Posted Image
Click the in a member's post to thank them for their post!

#17 OFFLINE   sandman1987

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:02 PM

MoJo said:

Once you get to the screen with the triangle. ... you have to press the volume up and the camera key at the same time. Its tricky but is easy at the same time.

Awesome advise! Worked like a charm and now I am rooted! Thanks for the help!

#18 OFFLINE   MoJo

Droid

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:07 PM

No problem... glad I could help

"Harley Davidson - The Perfect Machine to Turn Gasoline into Noise Without the Pesky Bi-Product of Horsepower!"

Posted Image

#19 OFFLINE   sandman1987

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:08 PM

Hey MoJo do you think you could check out my question here and see if you are able to answer it as well?? :confused: Please?? Thanks again!

#20 OFFLINE   MoJo

Droid

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:14 PM

Sure I will take a look. .. and see if I can

Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users