Android Debug Bridge - adb - Simple Noob Guide

41 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   olta777

Android Master

• VIP
  • 3,808 posts
  • Device:HTC Thunderbolt

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:09 AM

WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING YOU DO TO YOUR PHONE, THEREFORE TRY AT OWN RISK.

An SDK, or Software Developer’s Kit, is a Tools kit that allows Android developers work on apps and Android OS itself. Please follow the link to learn more and download SDK tools:

SDK Developer Tools

SDK tools also allow you to use ADB (Android Debugging Bridge) to make changes to your phone using PC Command Prompt.

To access ADB through your Windows computer:

1. Go to your Start Menu and select “Run.”

2. A Run dialogue will pop up; type “cmd” and hit OK. A Windows Command Prompt window will open.

3. Navigate to the tools folder inside of the Android SDK folder (where adb.exe is located). To accomplish this, you need to know the exact file path of the tools folder, which can be found at top of Windows Explorer when tools folder is opened.

4. Copy your file path for use in the Command Prompt. First type "cd" (change directory), then right-click and paste the file path. If successful, Command Prompt should say: "c:\...\sdk\tools." If you got an error “The system cannot find the path specified”, most likely the path was entered incorrect.

Tip: Windows Vista and 7 users may go into their tools folder, highlight the full address and simply replace it with “cmd”. Press enter and Command Prompt will open and will be pointed at the folder.

To test out, you can type "adb" enter....

Some of the MOST common Droid commands that you will see, include:

• adb push – to copy files from computer to the Droid.
  • adb pull – to copy files from the Droid to the computer.
  • adb shell – Emulates Unix terminal so that you can use Unix Commands from the Command Prompt. (Learn more about Unix Commands for Droid modding)
  • adb reboot – to reboot the Droid
The first time you attempt to use commands, you will get a pop up on your Droid requesting permission. Select "Always" and allow to avoid it in future.

Good luck.

Edited by olta777, 26 February 2010 - 02:01 AM.

> Register at MDW | MDW Rules and Guidelines <
Click the Posted Image in a member's post to thank them for their post!
"BB Pearl > LG Dare > BB Storm 1 > BB Storm 2 > HTC Eris > Motorola Droid > HTC Incredible > Droid X > HTC Incredible > Samsung Fascinate - Rooted/CWM Recovery/Blackhole FROYO - WINNER" :angel

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

MyDroidWorld.com

#2 OFFLINE   RANDYRKELLY

Android Master

• Members
  • 992 posts
  • Twitter:twitter.com/rrkmdw
  • Device:Moto Droid

Posted 08 February 2010 - 02:48 AM

im having issues can someone help?

#3 OFFLINE   p3droid

Chief Of Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,396 posts
  • Device:Motorola Droid

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:38 AM

Randy, what is your issue? You know we will walk you through it.

Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   awesomeist1

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Device:Droid

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:23 PM

What do you do if the command prompt says error: device not found after entering a adb command? And yes my droid is connected with debugging....

#5 OFFLINE   olta777

Android Master

• VIP
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:35 PM

awesomeist1 said:

What do you do if the command prompt says error: device not found after entering a adb command? And yes my droid is connected with debugging....

Is your Droid rooted? Make sure you have Super User ninja icon...also how about Motorola USB drivers? :)

"BB Pearl > LG Dare > BB Storm 1 > BB Storm 2 > HTC Eris > Motorola Droid > HTC Incredible > Droid X > HTC Incredible > Samsung Fascinate - Rooted/CWM Recovery/Blackhole FROYO - WINNER" :angel

#6 OFFLINE   awesomeist1

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Device:Droid

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:02 PM

Yes it is rooted thanks I forgot to install the drivers.... I am learning alot because of your posts thanks! There are really noob friendly! Yes my droid is rooted it has the cool ninja icon, but to have SU access I have to keep entering su enable. Is that normal? So far I am struggling to get all the nexus live wall papers working http://www.mydroidwo...-droid-all.html when i get to step 6 it can't locate the file or folder...

#7 OFFLINE   danielrm2457

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:36 PM

I keep getting this line after the adb shell command. Seems like I can still issue commands like "# format DATA:" and such. Any recommendations?

adb shell
←[01m[←[01;31mroot@droid←[01;37m]←[01;34m / #←[00m

#8 OFFLINE   p3droid

Chief Of Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:42 PM

This line you are seeing is okay, it just depends on which bash version you are using. I would think you are using sholes ROM if you see this?

Posted Image

#9 OFFLINE   bdws1975

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Device:droid

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:29 PM

hi all,

I've successfully rooted my droid and have performed several hacks already.

However, i keep getting the following error when I try to push, pull, format, adb, etc after the root prompt:

# format DATA: (or adb, push, pull, etc)

format: not found

I've read it's something with the mount-->toolbox but I can't seem to get any help to confirm and how to fix.

I'm not able to install busybox, or any ROM's at this point because of this.

thanks!

brett

#10 OFFLINE   riahon

Droid

• Members
  • 103 posts
  • Twitter:@riahon

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:33 PM

I'm having the same issue............anyone have a fix??

#11 OFFLINE   sandman1987

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 04:45 PM

Ok I have a quick question....I have not done any hacking or rooting yet, but I am dl'ing all these programs for when I do. I downloaded the SDK and on that site it talks about POSSIBLY needing to DL JDE and Eclipse. So the question I have is...do I need to DL those as well or just the SDK?

#12 OFFLINE   MoJo

Droid

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:18 PM

You will only need to download eclipse and the jde if you plan on developing applications. If your just going to root and tinker a bit its not needed. Heck... I haven't even downloaded the sdk. I have done it all right from my phone. ;)

"Harley Davidson - The Perfect Machine to Turn Gasoline into Noise Without the Pesky Bi-Product of Horsepower!"

Posted Image
Click the in a member's post to thank them for their post!

#13 OFFLINE   sandman1987

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:30 PM

MoJo said:

You will only need to download eclipse and the jde if you plan on developing applications. If your just going to root and tinker a bit its not needed. Heck... I haven't even downloaded the sdk. I have done it all right from my phone. ;)

Great! Appreciate the help. Gonna stick with the SDK since I'm a n00b at this and have to follow the guide....lol...thanks again.

#14 OFFLINE   MoJo

Droid

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:48 PM

No problem! Anytime. Just a suggestions for you though. If all this is new to you, I would recommend to use droidmod to do all of your dirty work for you... ie.. root, install SPRecovery, busybox etc... once you install droidmod you can easily install any rom of your choosing. If you need more info on this just holla at me.

"Harley Davidson - The Perfect Machine to Turn Gasoline into Noise Without the Pesky Bi-Product of Horsepower!"

Posted Image

#15 OFFLINE   sandman1987

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:34 PM

MoJo said:

No problem! Anytime. Just a suggestions for you though. If all this is new to you, I would recommend to use droidmod to do all of your dirty work for you... ie.. root, install SPRecovery, busybox etc... once you install droidmod you can easily install any rom of your choosing. If you need more info on this just holla at me.

Droidmod sounds exactly what I need until I get the hang of it. Any assistance you can give would be appreciated. In the mean time I'll do some searching for it.

#16 OFFLINE   MoJo

Droid

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:55 PM

sandman1987 said:

Droidmod sounds exactly what I need until I get the hang of it. Any assistance you can give would be appreciated. In the mean time I'll do some searching for it.

Follow this thread to a T... and you will be good.

Please Login HERE or Register HERE to see this link!

Posted Image

#17 OFFLINE   MoJo

Droid

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:57 PM

When you get that done... holler at me. Then if you want to flash anyother rom I will help you do that too.

Posted Image

#18 OFFLINE   sandman1987

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 05:10 AM

MoJo said:

Follow this thread to a T... and you will be good.

OMG! It doesn't get any easier than that! Thanks MoJo that was just what I needed. Straightforward and simple to use!

#19 OFFLINE   MoJo

Droid

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 05:26 AM

I'm all about easy LOL! Glad it worked out for you. :)

Posted Image

#20 OFFLINE   JGeZau

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Device:HTC Hero

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:04 PM

If anybody is interested, I just created a guide to set up ADB under Ubuntu

Edited by JGeZau, 14 May 2010 - 08:40 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users