READ THIS FIRST - If you want to ROOT, flash ROMs, Kernels, etc

72 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   dpeco

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:13 PM

OK, found this on this site in a thread you posted the link is above in my last post:

Installing and Setting Up SDK Installation/Setup

Extract the android-sdk_r04-windows.zip to your local drive, this for most will be C:
Afterwards you should see a folder on your C: drive called android-sdk-windows.
The path should be: C:\android-sdk-windows (My path is much longer, not sure if extracted right?)

Then it says

To make things a little easier for later, we're going to rename it (Rename What?). So right click on it and select "rename", type in android, hit enter on your keybaord and make sure the name change takes effect.
Now the path should be: C:\android

Guess what?! You just installed SDK and ADB! Simple enough, right ;)

I would so love to get this set up correctly so that I can try to do this the correct way.

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

MyDroidWorld.com

#42 OFFLINE   olta777

Android Master

• VIP
  • 3,808 posts
  • Device:HTC Thunderbolt

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:30 PM

dpeco said:

OK, found this on this site in a thread you posted the link is above in my last post:

Installing and Setting Up SDK Installation/Setup

Extract the android-sdk_r04-windows.zip to your local drive, this for most will be C:
Afterwards you should see a folder on your C: drive called android-sdk-windows.
The path should be: C:\android-sdk-windows (My path is much longer, not sure if extracted right?)

Then it says

To make things a little easier for later, we're going to rename it (Rename What?). So right click on it and select "rename", type in android, hit enter on your keybaord and make sure the name change takes effect.
Now the path should be: C:\android

Guess what?! You just installed SDK and ADB! Simple enough, right ;)

I would so love to get this set up correctly so that I can try to do this the correct way.

OK...you are right. What you can do is just copy / paste the whole extracted sdk folder straight to drive C. This way path is going to be shorter. The renaming part means....just rename sdk xxxx folder to just sdk. Then follow further instructions. :)

> Register at MDW | MDW Rules and Guidelines <
Click the Posted Image in a member's post to thank them for their post!
"BB Pearl > LG Dare > BB Storm 1 > BB Storm 2 > HTC Eris > Motorola Droid > HTC Incredible > Droid X > HTC Incredible > Samsung Fascinate - Rooted/CWM Recovery/Blackhole FROYO - WINNER" :angel

#43 OFFLINE   dpeco

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:56 PM

olta777 said:

OK...you are right. What you can do is just copy / paste the whole extracted sdk folder straight to drive C. This way path is going to be shorter. The renaming part means....just rename sdk xxxx folder to just sdk. Then follow further instructions. :)

OK Olta, so I had some time here at home. I did the set up of the SDK as you described. I extracted it on the C drive, so now when I go to the C drive I renamed it android as well. I open up the tools folder and my path is now C:\android\tools, I did as the post states and copied it into the windows path, at the end of what was already there and it will not allow me to open the ADB shell? what am I doing wrong? Not so sure, Does the phone need to be connected to open the ADB bridge? I need some serious help LOL,
D

#44 OFFLINE   olta777

Android Master

• VIP
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 02:35 AM

dpeco said:

OK Olta, so I had some time here at home. I did the set up of the SDK as you described. I extracted it on the C drive, so now when I go to the C drive I renamed it android as well. I open up the tools folder and my path is now C:\android\tools, I did as the post states and copied it into the windows path, at the end of what was already there and it will not allow me to open the ADB shell? what am I doing wrong? Not so sure, Does the phone need to be connected to open the ADB bridge? I need some serious help LOL,
D

When you are ready to use adb, make sure usb debugging is activate on phone {menu, settings, applications, development, select check box for usb debugging)...also connect your phone to PC via USB, but do not mount your sd card. :)

"BB Pearl > LG Dare > BB Storm 1 > BB Storm 2 > HTC Eris > Motorola Droid > HTC Incredible > Droid X > HTC Incredible > Samsung Fascinate - Rooted/CWM Recovery/Blackhole FROYO - WINNER" :angel

#45 OFFLINE   dpeco

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:46 AM

olta777 said:

Ok, try this guide...

Please Login HERE or Register HERE to see this link!

...and see if it clears more for you...I am puzzled as to why it is not working. I followed the guide (the first link) and it worked flawlessly for me ;)

Hello, trying your guide, appears I was in when typed the adb shell, but copied and pasted the next set in and gives me cannot open for read, no such file or directory? I do not seem to get this very well.

#46 OFFLINE   olta777

Android Master

• VIP
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:23 AM

dpeco said:

Hello, trying your guide, appears I was in when typed the adb shell, but copied and pasted the next set in and gives me cannot open for read, no such file or directory? I do not seem to get this very well.

Ok...let's see...you do have the flash_image and sprecovery 0.99.2b on root of sd card? I am puzzled as I just we thru the guide and did the process to my phone like 2 days ago and it worked flawlessly. Your USB debugging is on? Make sure the SD card is NOT mounted. :)

#47 OFFLINE   EricJ22

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:56 PM

ranman,

I had this same issue. But discovered that when I dropped flash_image on my sdcard it is actually flash_image.exe and it wants that full name when referring to the file. Use the following.

dd if=/sdcard/flash_image.exe of=/data/local/flash_image
chmod 755 /data/local/flash_image
rm /sdcard/flash_image.exe

Let me know if you get passed the second set of steps un su, becuase I am getting an error at that point.

#48 OFFLINE   ranman

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Device:Droid

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:30 AM

Still the same result, I can't get past the second code. When I downloaded the usb drivers moto connect came with them and every-time I plug in my phone it checks for applications. Could it be blocking me from installing custom programs?

#49 OFFLINE   EricJ22

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 07:27 PM

ranman said:

Still the same result, I can't get past the second code. When I downloaded the usb drivers moto connect came with them and every-time I plug in my phone it checks for applications. Could it be blocking me from installing custom programs?

do the following command to make sure you can "see" the phone is connected.

adb devices

-you should then see a serial number and that is your phone. You must do this command under the /tools directory of your android sdk. If you do get a reconse you should not have an issue with connecting to your device. Make sure when you plug the phone in via usb you do not have it mounted like you do when you want to transfer files. If the phone is mounted you will get permission errors. Can you give your exact error?

-you should then see a serial number and that is your phone. You must do this command under the /tools directory of your android sdk. If you do get a reconse you should not have an issue with connecting to your device. Make sure when you plug the phone in via usb you do not have it mounted like you do when you want to transfer files. If the phone is mounted you will get permission errors. Can you give your exact error?

#50 OFFLINE   ranman

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Device:Droid

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:15 PM

I downloaded droidroothelper and used it. The program works great I have backed up my phone and loaded the ultimate 5.0 and this is only the beginning thanks everyone.

#51 OFFLINE   ndremstate2

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Device:eris

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:54 PM

hello i know this may be a dumb question but how can i be sure my droid eris is rooted? here are the specs. firmware 2.1 baseband 2.41.04.02.02 kernal 2.6.29-5cf233c2 build 2.26.6005 cl 134869 release keys, software 2,26.6005 browser 3.1, pri 2.11_002, prl 51776, eri 5

#52 OFFLINE   TemperamentalMan

Android Pro

• Members
  • 331 posts
  • Device:N/A

Posted 17 March 2010 - 04:13 PM

ndremstate2 said:

hello i know this may be a dumb question but how can i be sure my droid eris is rooted? here are the specs. firmware 2.1 baseband 2.41.04.02.02 kernal 2.6.29-5cf233c2 build 2.26.6005 cl 134869 release keys, software 2,26.6005 browser 3.1, pri 2.11_002, prl 51776, eri 5

It's not a dumb question at all. If you have a firmware version 2.1 on the Eris, it's rooted.

#53 OFFLINE   eruptfromthegrave

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Device:Htc Incredible / Htc Incredible 2

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:44 AM

i followed steps located at the top of the page, upon completion of the "apply sd:update.zip" step i get a bunch of error messages the final 2 saying
" E: signature verification failed
Installation aborted"

Help??

#54 OFFLINE   olta777

Android Master

• VIP
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:24 PM

eruptfromthegrave said:

i followed steps located at the top of the page, upon completion of the "apply sd:update.zip" step i get a bunch of error messages the final 2 saying
" E: signature verification failed
Installation aborted"

Help??

Are you on 2.1? Or 2.0.1? :)

#55 OFFLINE   ArtnerC

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Device:Motorola Droid

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:36 PM

I am getting the same error with my Droid fully updated OTA to 2.1 and never rooted. Am i supposed to be at 2.0.1 and how do I get there if so? Thanks.

#56 OFFLINE   olta777

Android Master

• VIP
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:56 PM

ArtnerC said:

I am getting the same error with my Droid fully updated OTA to 2.1 and never rooted. Am i supposed to be at 2.0.1 and how do I get there if so? Thanks.

Welcome to MyDroidWorld!!!!

You will need to go back to 2.0.1, then root and load the ROMs... here is where you can get more information.... http://www.mydroidwo...ght=droid+2.0.1

:)

#57 OFFLINE   jtelander

Droid

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • Device:RAZR

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:23 AM

olta777 said:

WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT YOU DO WITH YOUR PHONE, THEREFORE TRY AT OWN RISK.

So, you just got your Motorola Droid. Looking around, you see people talking about ROOTING, custom ROMs and so on. Please read What is the Root and why do I need it? Once you get information and decide what you want to do, you start wondering "Where do I start?"

First, make sure you familiarize yourself with the following:

Here are the steps and the order you need to follow them in >>

You MUST do those 3 steps first before you will have the ability to modify your Droid. Once those steps are complete, you can go ahead and select the custom ROM or any other desired modification, and proceed.

Congratulations, your Droid is ready for big changes now!!!

I'm ready to take the plunge and do whatever it takes to go from stock 2.1 to rooted 2.2
Does all of the above apply?

#58 OFFLINE   olta777

Android Master

• VIP
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:47 AM

jtelander said:

I'm ready to take the plunge and do whatever it takes to go from stock 2.1 to rooted 2.2
Does all of the above apply?

Welcome to MyDroidWorld!!!1

Start here: http://www.mydroidwo...t-q-thread.html ;)

#59 OFFLINE   UNCnate

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:15 AM

olta777 said:

Try typing the
adb shell then
su
And then copy/paste next line of code. :)

Ive made it this far, when I type su I get permission denied. Any ideas?

#60 OFFLINE   olta777

Android Master

• VIP
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:21 PM

UNCnate said:

Ive made it this far, when I type su I get permission denied. Any ideas?

When you type that, check your Droid screen, as you should get a pop up on screen to allow root access. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users