72 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   thecasio

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Device:Droid

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:13 PM

Hey, i followed all 3 of these steps. I am now rooted on 2.0.1. My droid now wants me to update to 2.1, should i do that? I want to install froyo but i am not sure if i need to update to 2.1 first. thanks.

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

MyDroidWorld.com

#62 OFFLINE   olta777

Android Master

• VIP
  • 3,808 posts
  • Device:HTC Thunderbolt

Posted 13 June 2010 - 12:44 AM

thecasio said:

Hey, i followed all 3 of these steps. I am now rooted on 2.0.1. My droid now wants me to update to 2.1, should i do that? I want to install froyo but i am not sure if i need to update to 2.1 first. thanks.

Welcome to MyDroidWorld!!!!

If you update, it will Unroot your phone..so, decline the update and go with Froyo... here is the http://www.mydroidwo...t-q-thread.html :)

> Register at MDW | MDW Rules and Guidelines <
Click the Posted Image in a member's post to thank them for their post!
"BB Pearl > LG Dare > BB Storm 1 > BB Storm 2 > HTC Eris > Motorola Droid > HTC Incredible > Droid X > HTC Incredible > Samsung Fascinate - Rooted/CWM Recovery/Blackhole FROYO - WINNER" :angel

#63 OFFLINE   Hightower

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Device:Motorola Milestone

Posted 14 June 2010 - 05:43 PM

Hi Folks.

I have a couple questions. Not sure if ive missed the answer somewhere.

Just got a motorola Milestone (telus and unlocked using on Fido).

Im curious about rooting the phone. I realize that rooting prompts a caveat that voids your warranty. Yet I have seen on here that its possible to return the phone back to factory default. If thats the case, how would it void the warranty if i returned the phone for repair in the factory settings? Would it still be known ive rooted the phone?

Also Can I assume everything on here applies to the milestone even though its all droid instructions? Or are the files slightly different? Does rooting affect performance negativly? Im intending to upgrade to 2.2 even though the official telus milestone should be released some time this summer. Still worth it?

Thanks for the help.

#64 OFFLINE   samiup

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Device:Droid

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:35 PM

i end up with a boot loop showing "ANDROID". anybody got a solution for that yet?

Thanks !

#65 OFFLINE   eruptfromthegrave

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Device:Htc Incredible / Htc Incredible 2

Posted 18 June 2010 - 04:28 AM

...here's where im having my problems: ive got passed step one "root your droid" successfully; but step 2 just causes me extreme confusion...if somebody could break this down for me, i'd greatly appreciate it.

#66 OFFLINE   Eggos

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Device:Motorola Milestone

Posted 18 June 2010 - 12:15 PM

Hightower said:

If thats the case, how would it void the warranty if i returned the phone for repair in the factory settings? Would it still be known ive rooted the phone?

Also Can I assume everything on here applies to the milestone even though its all droid instructions? Or are the files slightly different? Does rooting affect performance negativly? Im intending to upgrade to 2.2 even though the official telus milestone should be released some time this summer. Still worth it?

To 'unroot' a phone, you just need to reflash the firmware. In case, you'd just flash the Telus 2.1 ROM and not the vulnerable recovery or use the root ZIP.

Droid and Milestone run differently, so most droid things will not work with milestone. General things like how to use nandroid can be similar, but don't try following any rom or theme instructions designed for droids, it will mess up your milestone.

Rooting doesn't have a negative impact on your system. Really all it does it installs the application SU (superuser) that gives you admin access. When the 2.2 is released is out, you can always give it a try. Worst case scenario, you just lose root.

samiup said:

i end up with a boot loop showing "ANDROID". anybody got a solution for that yet?Thanks !

When you first flash a new ROM, it can be pretty slow loading back up the first time. I've seen it take as much as 10 minutes for the first boot. If you get to your Android screen, that's a better sign then getting stuck on the M logo. If it doesn't work after 10 minutes, check that you're using the right ROM, then try flashing it again.

eruptfromthegrave said:

...here's where im having my problems: ive got passed step one "root your droid" successfully; but step 2 just causes me extreme confusion...if somebody could break this down for me, i'd greatly appreciate it.

Step two is changing your recovery screen on your phone. Instead of the standard recovery screen where you have the black background with the ! and blue font, this one is customized. It allows you a few more options to do things right on your phone, instead of having to connect it to your PC and do it through ADB.

#67 OFFLINE   cjshroyer

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Device:moto droid

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:18 PM

so i used AGreen BHM's Droid RootKit (this can root and set up custom recovery) to root...cant get anything to work....how do i know go back to bone stock droid? btw sorry but i am a complete noob

#68 OFFLINE   kevin25a

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Device:Motorolla Droid

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:32 PM

Hi agreenbh,

I have downloaded and run through the droid root kit verbatim, but keep getting stuck at step 4. After flashing the phone with 2.0.1 SBF, and installing the ADB drivers, it refuses to copy the update.zip to the phone as its supposed to, and all other steps including step 5 installing the custom recovery just flys by and says it should be in recovery mode, which its not. I have double checked that usb debug is turned on, but it appears that ADB does not see a device.

Not sure what im doing wrong, even tried it on two different machines, but it appears that the ADB drivers are not communicating with the Droid. Any ideas?

Edited by kevin25a, 15 July 2010 - 01:58 PM.

#69 OFFLINE   BrosKKi

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Device:Motorolla Droid

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:22 PM

Im having permissions problems. I never got a messege on my droid about it..

#70 OFFLINE   UnhappyCarrot

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Device:Moto Droid I

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:11 PM

I too was very confused by the Droid Rootkit. To get back to bone stock droid simply open Rootkit and run (step 2) again. then follow instructions, reboot phone, format your SD card and then root the easy way... http://www.mydroidwo...noob-guide.html These instructions are very simple compared to the droid rootkit.

#71 OFFLINE   railz1

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:40 PM

i downloaded the zip file transfered it to phone turned it off held x did the vol thing clicked apply sd card but it keeps telling me signature verification failed and installtion aborted what am i doing wrong

#72 OFFLINE   rdaredbs

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Device:motorola droid

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:28 PM

how do i know which kernel is right for me? i have the motorola droid and i installed the 125Mhz 800 = 125/400/500/550/600/700/800 and the battery seems to deplete quicker now... any suggestions?

Edited by rdaredbs, 19 August 2010 - 06:33 PM.
wanted notification of response

#73 OFFLINE   torino216

Droid

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • Twitter:@torino216
  • Device:droid x

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:45 PM

Do I follow these steps even though I have the OTA 2.2 that VZW sent out or do I have to do something different.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users