Forgive the short overview and lack of links. Apparently I haven't posted enough times to be allowed to post links. Which frankly, is absolutely stupid. So much for spontaneously giving back to the community...
For what it's worth, I was able to perform this without wiping data or a factory restore. Your mileage may vary. If you brick your device, it's on you.
Basic steps outline:
- Root R2D2 (There's an XDA thread for this, same as Droid2)
- Use the guide on droidforums dot net by username Ecnassianer to back up R2D2 bits. READ THE GUIDE CAREFULLY. Some pieces of the R2D2 theme aren't covered.
- Titanium backup apps and data.
- Flash the R2D2 with the Droid2 2.3.20 full SBF using RSD Lite 4.9
- Re-root with step 1
- Drop 2 bucks in the market for Droid 2 Bootstrapper from ClockworkMod
- Flash R2D2 with the rooted gingerbread package for Droid 2 using the bootstrapper
- The device should now be running rooted gingerbread without having lost any settings/app data. Again, your results might be different. (r2d2 theming/boot animation will be missing at this point)
- Grab a copy of mydroidworld user mingaldrichgan's r2d2 bootanimation package to save time (the original link is broken, but there's a mirror link in the thread, I don't have enough posts to be allowed to put a link in this post)
- DO NOT apply his zip file with the bootstrapper. (You won't have room in /system anyway)
- Extract mingaldrichgan's boot animation package to your desktop.
Boot animation restore:
(THIS IS DIFFERENT FOR GINGERBREAD - DO NOT REPLACE /system/bin/bootanimation with the one from mingaldrichgan's package!):
- Copy the bootanimation.zip from the extracted package's media folder to your phone's /data/local
- Copy the d2_r2d2_pu.ogg to /system/media/audio/notifications (requires rw on /system)
Wallpapers and ringtones/sounds:
Using an adb shell, make room in /system/app and restore saved (or extracted from mingaldrichgan's package) live wallpaper apk's as desired. (requires rw on /system)
Using an adb shell, make room in /system/media/audio/ringtones and ../notifications and copy saved (or extracted from mingaldrichgan's package) r2d2 sounds as desired. (requires rw on /system)
There's a solution for this that involves metamorph (market) and a small zip file, I can't post links until I make more posts on this site (site rule) so you'll have to search for now.
I will update this with any pertinent links or additional information after I have full access.
Edited by tekkdrone, 30 June 2011 - 11:17 AM.