7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tekkdrone

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Device:Droid X, Droid R2D2

Posted 22 May 2011 - 03:33 PM

I just wanted to share that I was able to use the information from the tutorials on this site and a few others to bring my wife's STOCK Droid R2D2 up to rooted Gingerbread while keeping most of the R2D2 bits using the guide from this site, with a few changes.

Forgive the short overview and lack of links. Apparently I haven't posted enough times to be allowed to post links. Which frankly, is absolutely stupid. So much for spontaneously giving back to the community...

For what it's worth, I was able to perform this without wiping data or a factory restore. Your mileage may vary. If you brick your device, it's on you.

Basic steps outline:
- Root R2D2 (There's an XDA thread for this, same as Droid2)
- Use the guide on droidforums dot net by username Ecnassianer to back up R2D2 bits. READ THE GUIDE CAREFULLY. Some pieces of the R2D2 theme aren't covered.
- Titanium backup apps and data.
- Flash the R2D2 with the Droid2 2.3.20 full SBF using RSD Lite 4.9
- Re-root with step 1
- Drop 2 bucks in the market for Droid 2 Bootstrapper from ClockworkMod
- Flash R2D2 with the rooted gingerbread package for Droid 2 using the bootstrapper
- The device should now be running rooted gingerbread without having lost any settings/app data. Again, your results might be different. (r2d2 theming/boot animation will be missing at this point)
- Grab a copy of mydroidworld user mingaldrichgan's r2d2 bootanimation package to save time (the original link is broken, but there's a mirror link in the thread, I don't have enough posts to be allowed to put a link in this post)
- DO NOT apply his zip file with the bootstrapper. (You won't have room in /system anyway)
- Extract mingaldrichgan's boot animation package to your desktop.

Boot animation restore:
(THIS IS DIFFERENT FOR GINGERBREAD - DO NOT REPLACE /system/bin/bootanimation with the one from mingaldrichgan's package!):
- Copy the bootanimation.zip from the extracted package's media folder to your phone's /data/local
- Copy the d2_r2d2_pu.ogg to /system/media/audio/notifications (requires rw on /system)

Wallpapers and ringtones/sounds:
Using an adb shell, make room in /system/app and restore saved (or extracted from mingaldrichgan's package) live wallpaper apk's as desired. (requires rw on /system)
Using an adb shell, make room in /system/media/audio/ringtones and ../notifications and copy saved (or extracted from mingaldrichgan's package) r2d2 sounds as desired. (requires rw on /system)

Lock icons:
There's a solution for this that involves metamorph (market) and a small zip file, I can't post links until I make more posts on this site (site rule) so you'll have to search for now.

I will update this with any pertinent links or additional information after I have full access.

Edited by tekkdrone, 30 June 2011 - 11:17 AM.

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

MyDroidWorld.com

#2 OFFLINE   probbiethe1

Android Pro

• Moderators
  • 676 posts
  • Device:Droid X

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:07 PM

That's great and thanks for sharing

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

#3 OFFLINE   kemperj80

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Device:DROID 2 R2D2

Posted 11 June 2011 - 02:19 PM

I am running a droid r2d2 with starwars boot animations and sounds on the gingerbread leak and zombie stomp 1.7 ROM, thanks to all the posts and info I have found on this forum and following similar steps, as stated above. Thanks!

#4 OFFLINE   thorhxc

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Device:Droid 2 R2D2

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:24 PM

Hi. I"m know I"m super late to this, but I tried doing this and got stuck becuase fission rom manager's download list, from what i could find, is down because they stopped the project. Is there any other way I can get Gingerbread or at the very least go back to the original R2D2? Thanks.

#5 OFFLINE   tekkdrone

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:44 PM

It depends; from what I remember there's a "point of no return" in one of those guides, and if you're past that then no, to the best of my knowledge, it's a Droid 2 now. I do however have a gingerbread update.zip (pre-rooted iirc) for r2d2 from when I did my wife's. It's not 100% stable but it's more stable than the stock ROM. (IMO) I will PM you the megaupload link as soon as I finish uploading it. I'm 99.9% sure this is the pre-rooted gingerbread ROM I flashed to hers as it's the only update.zip I have in the D2Conversion folder I created locally.

tekkdrone

Edit: ETA on link: 4:54pm CDT

Edited by tekkdrone, 30 July 2011 - 02:46 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   thorhxc

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Device:Droid 2 R2D2

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:57 PM

Thanks tekkdrone. It's really appreciated. I sat here for about 2 hours thinking I had missed a step or something (after i had gotten to the Fission step), but then I found out the project was done for.

#7 OFFLINE   tekkdrone

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:59 PM

tekkdrone said:

It depends; from what I remember there's a "point of no return" in one of those guides, and if you're past that then no, to the best of my knowledge, it's a Droid 2 now. I do however have a gingerbread update.zip (pre-rooted iirc) for r2d2 from when I did my wife's. It's not 100% stable but it's more stable than the stock ROM. (IMO) I will PM you the megaupload link as soon as I finish uploading it. I'm 99.9% sure this is the pre-rooted gingerbread ROM I flashed to hers as it's the only update.zip I have in the D2Conversion folder I created locally.

tekkdrone

Edit: ETA on link: 4:54pm CDT

PM Sent.

#8 OFFLINE   tekkdrone

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 03:00 PM

To be honest I don't know if I dealt with fission ROM, is that the page with the various builds for the r2d2? I know that's terrible but it was a quick one-off for the mrs. I make it a point to know more about what's going on with my own device.

Edit: Hit me up in PM if you're missing other files and I'll do what I can. I'm headed out for now but will be around later tonight.

tekkdrone

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users