Check us out:

- - - - -

How are the Overclocked Droids holding out?

14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   olta777

Android Master

• VIP
  • 3,808 posts
  • Device:HTC Thunderbolt

Posted 03 February 2010 - 02:34 AM

It's been almost two weeks, I want to say? How are your Droid holding the overclocks? Any issues? Overheating? or just lovely smooth and fast sailing?

I have been at 900 for the most part and am loving it!!! Tried 800 and loved it, but our human mind always wants better :p Had a few episodes of droid getting warm...but tested at 550mhz and it was same!!! So, back on 900 cruise. Moon Walk

> Register at MDW | MDW Rules and Guidelines <
Click the Posted Image in a member's post to thank them for their post!
"BB Pearl > LG Dare > BB Storm 1 > BB Storm 2 > HTC Eris > Motorola Droid > HTC Incredible > Droid X > HTC Incredible > Samsung Fascinate - Rooted/CWM Recovery/Blackhole FROYO - WINNER" :angel

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

MyDroidWorld.com

#2 OFFLINE   SoCalMiles

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Device:Droid

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:14 AM

I don't know....I felt like I was hurting the thing...lol...besides I'm gonna hand this Droid down to my girlfriend when a Snapdragon 2.1 sense device finally makes its way to Verizon so I went back to 600mhz on sholes 1.2. Its actually pretty quick still but noticeably slower during some actions. I also was getting Home fc's a lot even on 800 which got to be annoying waiting for it to load again. I guess the reassurance that I'm not gonna melt the thing before I give it to her is a little more easing...lol

#3 OFFLINE   jlevy73

Android Master

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  • Device:Nexus One/Nexus S

Posted 03 February 2010 - 12:20 PM

I am willing to sacrifice my Droid to the gods in the name of science. I have mine overclocked at 1.2ghz and running it pretty hard. So far it has held up fine. While the goal is not to destroy the phone I just want to see how well it holds up over time.

#4 OFFLINE   MyDroidWorld

Owner

• Administrators
  • 890 posts
  • Twitter:@MyDroidWorld and @bbcrackman
  • Device:Droid X, Nexus One, Droid Incredible, Thunderbolt, Xoom

Posted 03 February 2010 - 01:02 PM

jlevy73 said:

I am willing to sacrifice my Droid to the gods in the name of science. I have mine overclocked at 1.2ghz and running it pretty hard. So far it has held up fine. While the goal is not to destroy the phone I just want to see how well it holds up over time.

1.2GHz hmmm, well you got me beat... Let me know how it goes I may have to step it up a little

#5 OFFLINE   Dave12308

MDW Support Crew

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • LocationSchenectady, NY
  • Device:Motorola A855 Droid (inactive)

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:08 PM

jlevy73 said:

Josh, where did you find the 1.2 kernel? The highest I can find is 1.1, and I really want to go higher (i'd LIKE to try the 1.3ghz kernel if at all possible)

As for me, been sailing at 1.1ghz since the day the kernel appeared on alldroid, with nary a hiccup. Strange as it may sound, my device actually seems MORE bulletproof when OCed 100% - can't explain it, but i'm not complaining. Could just be the base ROM i'm using (Smoked Glass) is more stable than the stock 2.0.1

#6 OFFLINE   Sooks

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Device:Moto DROID

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:45 PM

Well i have found atleast one glitch so far with running an over clocked droid . When the phone is off, the droids processor will keep running and it will run the phone dead , i have tried this running stock and the phone will actually shut off. Now when turning the droid back on after being off with the over clocked ROM , it would stutter and take a long time to boot, then once booted it would lag for about a day until the phone settled, So not sure why this is happening , but it is . Also once i went from over clocked down to stock , the phone would not run as smooth , it would take a few hours for it to settle , very weird.

#7 OFFLINE   BBCrackman

Android Master

• Administrators
  • 2,983 posts
  • Twitter:@bbcrackman
  • Device:Too many...

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:51 PM

Thanks Sooks!
I've noticed the same problem. In fact I had to have my battery replaced today. It wouldn't hold a charge longer than 4-5 hours.

#8 OFFLINE   jlevy73

Android Master

• Members
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 05:23 PM

Sooks said:

Well i have found atleast one glitch so far with running an over clocked droid . When the phone is off, the droids processor will keep running and it will run the phone dead , i have tried this running stock and the phone will actually shut off. Now when turning the droid back on after being off with the over clocked ROM , it would stutter and take a long time to boot, then once booted it would lag for about a day until the phone settled, So not sure why this is happening , but it is . Also once i went from over clocked down to stock , the phone would not run as smooth , it would take a few hours for it to settle , very weird.

Unfortunately once you overclock, certain changes made are irreversible like the processor. You said it took a few hours to settle, has it maintained that?

#9 OFFLINE   Dave12308

MDW Support Crew

• Members
  • 572 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 07:15 PM

Sooks said:

Sooks, that is a bit strange, as i've been swapping between ROMS (OCed and non-OCed) left and right, and have seen absolutely none of this behavior. And it's not that I never power my phone off, I do a full power off cycle most times that I do a reboot, as it cleanly unmounts the filesystem. That having been said, each individual chipset out there is going to have different tolerances as to how high it can safely operate, and it is technically possible to permanently damage the hardware with extreme overclocking. It's semi-rare to damage an actual processor by overclocking to the point where it will work, but not work well (usually it either works and is stable, works and is unstable, or won't POST at all beyond a certain speed) but with these mobile chipsets being so highly integrated; I would suppose that the cache memory on the processor can be physically damaged, and a processor with a lot of cache misses (or non-functioning cache) can run VERY slowly.

I am not 100% sure what Josh is referring to by saying that certain irreversible changes are made to the processor when you overclock, as the overclocking is done at a kernel level if I am not mistaken. Aside from physically damaging the chip via heat, the only real changes that occur to a highly overclocked processor are things that change over a long period of time (meaning years) - a higher frequency makes the processor more susceptible to electromigration (when said processor is not specced to run at the higher speed) where the increased current draw speeds up the deterioration of the chip's interconnects.

I still maintain that unless the increased current draw is causing the processor to actually operate outside of it's thermal envelope (which to be fair I don't think anyone has determined in the case of the Droid) AND the device memory isn't damaged by running at a higher speed (which could be occuring) then everything is undoable via a stock ROM. If a stock ROM isn't operating correctly after an overclock, it's time to look into the possibility that you've actually damaged some component of the chipset.

As for taking time to "settle in", this does make sense given the way Linux uses memory. The longer your uptime, the better the memory management is going to work. It prefetches things, and becomes more accurate the longer you've been booted.

#10 OFFLINE   p3droid

Chief Of Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,396 posts
  • Device:Motorola Droid

Posted 05 February 2010 - 07:41 PM

Yeah, I'm with those two because this is way way over my head. (Josh and Dave)

Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   Le0_Br4zUc4

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Twitter:Le0_Br4zUc4
  • Device:HTC Thunderbolt

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:50 AM

I have my at 1ghz and loving it, no issue so far ...

#12 OFFLINE   Dave12308

MDW Support Crew

• Members
  • 572 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 07:42 PM

Well, after quite a bit of time running at 1.1GHz with no problems, I have entered the 1.2GHz era (tried 1.3GHz a bit ago but wasn't quite stable)

Installed the new Sholesmod 2.0.5 this morning and have been sailing along all day.

It's funny that the amount I am overclocked by is 100MHz faster than base CPU speed.

#13 OFFLINE   jlevy73

Android Master

• Members
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 07:46 PM

Dave12308 said:

Well, after quite a bit of time running at 1.1GHz with no problems, I have entered the 1.2GHz era (tried 1.3GHz a bit ago but wasn't quite stable)

Installed the new Sholesmod 2.0.5 this morning and have been sailing along all day.

It's funny that the amount I am overclocked by is 100MHz faster than base CPU speed.

I believe 1.35ghz is the theoretical max you can overclock the Droid too. So it would make sense that 1.3ghz would be very unstable.

I just saw on another site that some one overclocked the Nexus to 1.1ghz lol. Developers and their overclocking :)

#14 OFFLINE   Dave12308

MDW Support Crew

• Members
  • 572 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:37 PM

Trust me Josh, the fact that I was able to boot at 1.3GHz, successfully mount the SD card, and run the SetCPU benchmark amazed me. I was completely prepared for a reboot loop, and a journey into recovery mode.

EDIT: You know, it's funny. I stopped overclocking my PC (because it was fast enough, and I got tired of fiddling with BIOS settings after a power outage) and now, i'm overclocking my darn PHONE. *LOL* BlackBerry was NEVER this much fun!!!!

Edited by Dave12308, 15 February 2010 - 08:39 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   jlevy73

Android Master

• Members
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:50 PM

Dave12308 said:

Trust me Josh, the fact that I was able to boot at 1.3GHz, successfully mount the SD card, and run the SetCPU benchmark amazed me. I was completely prepared for a reboot loop, and a journey into recovery mode.

EDIT: You know, it's funny. I stopped overclocking my PC (because it was fast enough, and I got tired of fiddling with BIOS settings after a power outage) and now, i'm overclocking my darn PHONE. *LOL* BlackBerry was NEVER this much fun!!!!

Seriously, if Blackberry was this fun we wouldn't have left lol. Just like with PC's soon mobile devices with come with 2.6ghz dual pentium chips. But that being said, it's not the CPU that needs tweaking chip makers should be focusing on pushing the GPU. 1Ghz is enough to power a small fridge but optimizing the GPU will put gaming and 3D on a whole other level. We're not quite there yet but soon we'll be able to watch Avatar on our phones. Or doctors will be able to visualize an MRI. It's an exciting time and it's good to see Google grap the bull by the horns (so to speak).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users