confused on .596 tethering, need advice please

35 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dmacleo

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:02 AM

have looked at few threads and it seems I need to install the hotspot TBH hack to enable tethering.
is this correct?
wifi works fine, rock solid here, just no tethering right now.

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

MyDroidWorld.com

#2 OFFLINE   dmacleo

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:56 AM

FWIW installing the hotspot patch seems to work, I just want to make sure I have done everything right. fairly new to X and mods for it, LOT different than old droid one :)

#3 OFFLINE   Strychnine

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Device:DroidX

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:30 AM

Which version of Wifi Tethering are you using?

#4 Guest_Jolly_*

• Guests

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:34 AM

You know they are tracking that now right? And if you aren't paying a tethered device charge they can bill you per kilobyte usage.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

#5 OFFLINE   Aixelsyd

Android Master

• Administrators
  • 984 posts
  • Device:Droid

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:47 AM

Jolly said:

You know they are tracking that now right? And if you aren't paying a tethered device charge they can bill you per kilobyte usage.

Exactly, and with that said it is a bad plan to use it these days without paying for the service. Unless you are willing to risk and and willing to pay a steep bill if they do catch on to you.

#6 OFFLINE   dmacleo

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:47 AM

Strychnine said:

Which version of Wifi Tethering are you using?
right now just the hotspot app, usually I use wifi for root user but have not installed that yet

Jolly said:

I don't care.
its very limited use only during power and dsl outages I have. very limited use, maybe 100mb a month.

#7 OFFLINE   thewahlrus

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:50 AM

dmacleo said:

I don't care.

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

#8 OFFLINE   dmacleo

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:52 AM

to clarify, I do have it working (can tether laptop to it) just want to make sure I did not miss anything.
did just now install wireless tether app and seems to work fine, just clarifying I did not install wrong item, etc.

the old droid of course did not use the hotspot app so not used to it.

#9 OFFLINE   dmacleo

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:53 AM

thewahlrus said:

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

ok wtf is all this about?
you want to pay my bill and have a say?
if no then stop this crap please.
if you don't want to answer the question or the question is not allowed just delete it then.

#10 OFFLINE   sspann3

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Device:droid x

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:25 AM

dmacleo said:

FWIW installing the hotspot patch seems to work, I just want to make sure I have done everything right. fairly new to X and mods for it, LOT different than old droid one :)

where did you get the hotspot patch?

#11 OFFLINE   Aixelsyd

Android Master

• Administrators
  • 984 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:29 AM

sspann3 said:

where did you get the hotspot patch?

It's in the TBH app for download. As we mentioned tho they are monitoring it these days so be very careful using it or be ready to get hit with data fees at least if they catch on

#12 OFFLINE   CellZealot

Android Pro

• Moderators
  • 414 posts
  • Device:D1,D2 dev, DX dev, D2G dev, D Pro dev, D3, Bionic

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:30 AM

Ok, here's the deal.

This has become a big issue because of major policy changes at VZW and other carriers regarding tethering.
They are making a concerted effort to eliminate the practice of unauthorized tethering and have had many apps removed from the market that provide ways to do it, including the TBH app.

The TBH method of modifying the NVM still works and is currently the only way to reliably circumvent the methods to prevent and/or flag unauthorized tethering.
Given the present circumstances, TBH has pulled the Tether patches from the app and is recommending extreme caution right now until further notice and not supporting the use of it until we better understand both the methods used and the repercussions if caught under the new policy.

There has been a great deal of discussion about this across all forums and it is an extremely divisive issue with strongly held opinions on all sides.
We have taken what we see as the only responsible position on the matter since our solution makes very low level changes to the device that are neither well understood nor easily managed by most end users.

This is a very high profile issue and we all need to take a step back and re evaluate the situation very carefully.

OK? :)
CellZealot

TeamBlackHat

Digital alchemy for Droid and beyond

#13 OFFLINE   dmacleo

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:30 AM

yes from the TBH.
the wireless tether for root is working but kernel does not support access control, but for the limited use it gets should work fine.

#14 OFFLINE   dmacleo

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:31 AM

all I wanted to know was if I followed correct steps in installing the damn apps, do not care a single bit about vzw policy or what it costs me.

#15 OFFLINE   Aixelsyd

Android Master

• Administrators
  • 984 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:40 AM

@dmacleo its all good man we are just trying to help and point out the situation is all. As CellZ mentioned this is a very touchy subject these days across the bored. Bottom line is what you did is correct for getting it working. The other fact is everyone has to choose there own risk on whether it is worth the problems that MAY arise by using it is all.

#16 OFFLINE   Goatweed

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Device:Droid X

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:54 AM

dmacleo said:

yes from the TBH.
the wireless tether for root is working but kernel does not support access control, but for the limited use it gets should work fine.
confirmed, I tested this once I was sure 596 was stable and it works without the patch install but as has been mentioned, use of any tethering without paying for a plan is done at your own risk.

#17 OFFLINE   dmacleo

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:59 AM

that is all I needed to know, thank you.
this is only used in strict and limited scenarios.
out in boonies here a dsl fail after storms for few hours is common, maybe (average) 3 hrs per month.
only used for the bare minimum.

#18 OFFLINE   manaox2

Droid

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Device:Droid X 2.3.3

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:10 AM

Just a heads up, Verizon may still charge you. They can detect the hack and your data usage.

#19 OFFLINE   temchik

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:06 AM

manaox2 said:

Just a heads up, Verizon may still charge you. They can detect the hack and your data usage.

Please share your sources on this, far as I have read nobody knows what they can or cannot detect at this point.

#20 OFFLINE   frankd

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Device:droid x

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:30 AM

Not a flame, but if your not worried about the cost, why not just pay the mobile hotspot and not have to worry about functionality ... I understand if its just the principle of it, but you seem more concerned with functionality which would probably be best served using the official paid service instead of using something you know big red is actively trying to block you from using?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users