37 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   p3droid

Chief Of Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,396 posts
  • Device:Motorola Droid

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:15 AM

Posted Image

We all know that rooting voids the warranty on your device, but we all know people who have rooted and returned the device for warranty reasons. A long time ago we reported that Verizon would begin inspecting warrantied returns to check for rooting and if found the customer would be charge full value of the phone, and this amount would be charged to your bill.

I have received a few stories of people having returned broken rooted devices and receiving a shocking bill from Verizon for the full retail amount of the phone. So once you root your device it is yours and you need to fix your mistake or buy a new phone, if you send it back you may end up buying a new one anyways.

Posted Image
> Register at MDW | MDW Rules and Guidelines <
Click the Posted Image in a member's post to thank them for their post!

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

MyDroidWorld.com

#2 OFFLINE   sfacimma

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Twitter:http://twitter.com/sfacimma
  • Device:Droid X

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:25 AM

" So once you root your device it is yours and you need to fix your mistake or buy a new phone "

Well said sir....

@sfacimma

#3 OFFLINE   R1Lover

Android Master

• Members
  • 1,874 posts
  • Device:Thunderbolt

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:28 AM

If you plug the phone into 120 volts they can't check much though.... lmao

j/k

and yes, once you jump off the ship... don't expect someone to save you if you can't swim! :)

#4 Guest_Jolly_*

• Guests

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:30 AM

You and I both know these devices are almost impossible to permanently brick and now with the SBF charging cable even more so. I have never seen something aside from hardware failure that would cause a warranty claim. The only reason Soft Bricked devices can't be fixed is if the user doesn't know what they're doing. That is their own fault because they shouldn't have attempted to do anything if they didn't research how to fix it when something goes wrong. The carrier and Manufacturer shouldn't pay the price for people not educating themselves prior to Modding the Device. I couldn't agree with you more P3.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

#5 OFFLINE   xenspidey

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:33 AM

Completely agree... however what about if there is a hardware defect that comes up? I have an issue with my screen and am getting a warranty replacement. Wouldn't SBF'ing back to stock take care of any "checks" they could do?

#6 OFFLINE   OnMy2ndGP

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Device:DX

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:52 AM

I had a hardware failure....mic went dead on my DX. Of course I send it back for a warranty replacement. Of course I was rooted. AND of course I SBF'd back to stock before sending it back to VZW.

If you thought that they would just take your (the consumer) word for it that the device got messed up on it's on then :violin there's gonna be a lot of slow singin' & flower bringin'.
DX on, forget it. I change ROMs too often to keep changing sigs. :workout

#7 OFFLINE   brewcrewwheels

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Device:galaxy nexus

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:54 AM

good for verizon. every time i see a post along the lines of "i bricked my phone so i returned it lol" i want to vomit with rage.

#8 OFFLINE   TriadX1

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Twitter:@TriadX1
  • Device:Droid X, Xoom, D1, NOOKcolor

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:36 AM

I totally agree it is unethical to root and brick a phone then expect them to replace it. But if we have an issue not related to rooting (like a hardware button issue) and we SBF it back, can they tell or care if it was ever rooted?

#9 Guest_Jolly_*

• Guests

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:06 PM

It doesn't matter your warranty is voided.

#10 OFFLINE   jpmoo

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:14 PM

One question about the cost to the carrier, though. Are they resurrecting those soft-bricked phones and shipping them out on warranty claims anyway? Sort of a revolving door...?

#11 OFFLINE   dirtydroidx

Android Master

• Members
  • 806 posts
  • Twitter:http://twitter.com/dirtydroidx
  • Device:Bionic,facinate,galaxy tab ,thunderbolt

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:18 PM

Well said my friends,We as a community must accept the FACT that ,if we as consumers ,by these devices and even if a external hardware problem occurs ,we are responsible for are property and take full responsibility for it! Now with that said in the end yeah you might get away with it but ,in the end you are just hurting yourself. This drives up cell phone costs ,are bills and everything as a customer buys . So make sure when u decide to root your device ,you no the full extent of what you are doing and everything that comes along with it. In the end freedom comes with a price and that price should be paid to the fullest extent if you break your phone ,regardless of it it was your fault or not.

Sent from my Thunderbolt. From the realm of the Darkslide, struck on Tapatalk.
Become a supporting member at mydroidworld
If I helped you hit the Thanks Button.
Follow me on Twitter @dirtydroidx

#12 OFFLINE   rlarson_mn

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Device:Moto Droid

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:19 PM

The way things are going in the cell world unless you like to experiment with ROMs or leaked releases of new operating systems you should just stay with an unrooted phone and use the device for what it was intended. If however your the adventuresome type then just make sure you are prepared to own the phone outright. I for one like to experiment so I am aware that the phone I currently have is mine no matter what I do with it. I am ready to get a new phone if and when my current phone gets messed up and beyond fixing. The choice is yours, just do not com pain about your choice after the fact.

#13 OFFLINE   -Ö¿Ö-

Droid

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:42 PM

Jolly said:

You and I both know these devices are almost impossible to permanently brick and now with the SBF charging cable even more so. I have never seen something aside from hardware failure that would cause a warranty claim. The only reason Soft Bricked devices can't be fixed is if the user doesn't know what they're doing. That is their own fault because they shouldn't have attempted to do anything if they didn't research how to fix it when something goes wrong. The carrier and Manufacturer shouldn't pay the price for people not educating themselves prior to Modding the Device. I couldn't agree with you more P3.

Well said...And a thanks to you P3 for bringing this up, even though it has been stated in many different ways and at many different stages of the Android world, thank you!
-Ö¿Ö-

#14 OFFLINE   kauthor47

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Device:DroidX

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:59 PM

As lame as this may sound on the surface, I actually have to agree with Verizon on this one, assuming the cause of the phone being sent back is because the User broke something via rooting/etc. If it was a physical thing, then no way in hell should the user have to pay the full retail, but so long as it's rooted I guess they're right in saying that the warranty is indeed void. But that is only the case if it's rooted, so assuming you unroot/SBF back, your warranty should be valid again.

#15 Guest_Jolly_*

• Guests

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:31 PM

jpmoo said:

One question about the cost to the carrier, though. Are they resurrecting those soft-bricked phones and shipping them out on warranty claims anyway? Sort of a revolving door...?

It still costs them money. You think the man power to do that is free? You think they can sell the device? No it gets sent out as a referb on a warranty claim to some one who got the device at a discount for signing a contract. It's a wasted expense. Considering the person should have learned to fix the device before rooting it. You have no idea how many nights I have spent talking someone through fixing a soft bricked device because they didn't do the research first. Just to keep it from going back to the carrier because it hurts us all.

#16 OFFLINE   bafish

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Device:Motorola Droid X

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:16 PM

I'm gonna go halfway and say: some people are stupid and don't know what they are doing AND I don't care about major corporations losing a couple bucks. No matter how much my DX costs them to replace (not much), it wont keep me up at night : )

#17 Guest_Jolly_*

• Guests

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:22 PM

Well when they're American Corporations losing money they offset the expense by moving jobs from America. So then Americans are in employed and drawing unemployment which takes Tax Dollars. How do you think the government compensates for that? Higher Taxes, Do you care about your paycheck?

#18 OFFLINE   bafish

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Device:Motorola Droid X

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:46 PM

Jolly said:

Well when they're American Corporations losing money they offset the expense by moving jobs from America. So then Americans are in employed and drawing unemployment which takes Tax Dollars. How do you think the government compensates for that? Higher Taxes, Do you care about your paycheck?

This is more of a political discussion, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say suffering profits is not a direct cause of outsourcing. These companies make outrageous profits and move jobs overseas because it's cheaper. When my family's bill is well over $300 every month (plus insurance on the phones every month for the past several years). These companies should be held accountable for these decisions, not rewarded through tax breaks and subsidies. Verizon made 1.7 billion in profit last quarter, so I'm not too worried about them : ) (Where's Teddy Roosevelt when you need him?)

#19 Guest_Jolly_*

• Guests

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:10 PM

Oh I agree but the reasons prices go up is because of inflation inflation is caused by people taking what they don't earn. So my opinion is I will not condone or encourage anyone to contribute. There is greed on behalf of corporations however us taking from them accomplishes nothing. We have other ways to fight them. Why Stoop?

#20 OFFLINE   Kevin108

Android Pro

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • Twitter:KevinX108

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:30 PM

Jolly said:

Well when they're American Corporations losing money they offset the expense by moving jobs from America.

Companies move jobs and headquarters overseas because of the 35% corporate income tax rate along with all of the other ridiculous requirements and regulations. Change the conditions they're forced to exist under and companies, along with jobs, will return to our nation.

Kevin108.com | SBF Tools | SBF back to Froyo | Install Gingerbread 588 | Install Gingerbread 596

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users