For most custom ROMs, developers will give you an option to install using Nandroid or update.zip. Depending on ROM, some developers will have you wipe the device before loading the new custom ROM and others will just have you load "boot" and "system" thus preventing your loss of data. The following instructions are GENERIC and if there are any deviations, please check each specific ROM for additional steps required.
This guide is for loading a custom ROM using update.zip. Please visit
>>How To Load a Custom ROM Using Nandroid
to find out the other way.
First, make sure you familiarize yourself with the following:
To Load a Custom ROM Using Update.zip:
- ALWAYS DO A FULL NANDROID BACK UP FIRST (Update.zip will not erase your data, but just to be safe)
- Check ROM specific installation instructions as well
- You can upgrade from any rooted ROM that is same base as the custom ROM is (ie 2.0.1 over 2.0.1; 2.1 over 2.1)
- Be sure to have signed into your Google account before installing
- Update all of your apps before installing (if available)
- Download desired ROM update.zip
- Place update.zip on the root of SD card
- Reboot into recovery (Power off phone, then hold X and press power, release power, but keep holding X until menu comes up)
- Select Install
- Select Allow update.zip installation
- Select Install /sdcard/update.zip (deprecated)
The process will start and may take a few minutes. Wait until you see "Done" on the screen, then press Power twice and select "Reboot System Now." Once the phone boots back on, your ROM should be successfully loaded. Enjoy!!!
Post any questions you may have. :)
Edited by olta777, 07 February 2010 - 09:13 PM.