3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ecjr173

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Device:DarkSlide DX

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:15 PM

Any body know if these SD card are the real deal. I like having the dual bootloader to choose from stock and gingerbread. Any body try them.

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

MyDroidWorld.com

#2 ONLINE   ktklein

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Twitter:ktklein72
  • Device:Motorola Droid X2

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:52 AM

Yes, after reading the article and talking about rooting my NC w/my wife we decided to order the 16GB card. The entire setup took about 5mins - only one procedure was required to start using the Android Marketplace. Since installing the card, we have not taken it out. My son now goes around playing w/our tablet (he no longer refers to it as the NC). The only issue I have found is inline video from websites in both the native browser as well as the included Dolphin HD browser are choppy at best, however the YouTube app works flawlessly. The included instruction sheet also warns of video playback issues w/both NetFlix and Hulu (I have not tried either of those yet nor have I gotten around to installing the Opera browser to see if inline video playback works any better there).

We ordered the card because it was on Amazon w/a 2wk return policy and while it states it will take a few weeks to arrive, I think we received ours in about a week from date of order.

While I am sure I could have gotten around to rooting our NC and updating the OS to GB, the price I paid was a convenience and time-saving factor, not to mention if our NC dies (we have a 3yr warranty) I can simply pop out the SD card and return/replace it w/o worrying about a voided warranty, etc.

Oh, one other item that was mentioned was that the Nook for Android app (also comes preloaded w/Kindle and Alkibo too) does not play the graphic childrens books currently. If that is an issue and you have purchased some, you can always boot to the NC w/o the SD card and play them on the native s/w that came w/the NC - not really an issue as I see it.

#3 OFFLINE   ecjr173

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Device:DarkSlide DX

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:09 AM

Ok thanks for the reply. I like the option of having the childrens books to be read out. I like this option for my daughter. Is this option still available if you use the SD card method.

#4 ONLINE   ktklein

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Twitter:ktklein72
  • Device:Motorola Droid X2

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:17 AM

My understanding is if you need/want to use one of the children's books that are animated and can speak the story, you'd simply power off the NC, remove the bootable GB MicroSD card, power the NC back on and you'd be back to the NC as it is normally. At that point, assuming the childrens book in question resides on the internal storage of the NC, you'd just open it from the My Library like normal. When you are finished and wanted to use the NC as a GB Tablet again, just power off the NC, insert the GB MicroSD card and power back on. I have not tried this yet myself, but that is my understanding. I'm sure at some point the Nook for Android app will evolve to the point where you can open the children books within the app but until such time, this is the process as I know it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users