13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Eleigh

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Device:Droid X

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:50 AM

I got my phone w/ unlimited data plan way before the unlimited data cutoff point and I tether my phone regularly (heavy usage) using PDA.net, easy tether or wifi tether app.I've never had this warning before, what should I do?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

MyDroidWorld.com

#2 Guest_Jolly_*

• Guests

Posted 10 August 2011 - 09:02 AM

Well as some of us have said for months they can tell if you're tethering and can track it. P3Droid warned people 2 or 3 months ago that Verizon was doing this and even that people had received Bills for the amount of Data tethered. Your unlimited Data only applies to your phone unless you're paying the 20 dollar tethered device charge. So what they do really remains to be seen. I read somewhere AT&T was going to start changing people's plans that where grandfathered into Unlimited Data to tiered if they where caught tethering without the fee but I'm honestly not sure what Verizon's policy is. Except that by tethering without paying the fee is a violation of your TOS so they can pretty much do what they want ranging from nothing to billing you for the tethered data and terminating your service.

Edited by Jolly, 10 August 2011 - 09:07 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   cheesebeard

Droid

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • Device:Droid X2

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:27 AM

I've gotten them before while downloading an App off the market when I know for a fact I'm nowhere near exceeding my data usage, no tethering or anything of that sort. I just figured it was an error, went to redownload said app and it worked fine. This has happened twice, a little over a month ago.

#4 OFFLINE   moosc

Android Master

• VIP
  • 1,658 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC
  • Twitter:moosc
  • Device:DroidX on CM7, XOOM WITH HAMMERHEAD, DROID BIONIC ON STEROIDS 893..

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:27 AM

Please Login HERE or Register HERE to see this link!

does of free tethering are over. And still no one listened to P3 and crew. Today att is starting throttle top 5% unlimited users also

Sent from Tapatalk using Droid BionicX!

#5 OFFLINE   jlewis74

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Device:Droid X

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:33 PM

My inlaws just got new phones, both X2's and they were not offered the tiered package they had to get the $30 unlimited plan.

#6 Guest_Jolly_*

• Guests

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:20 PM

Really I didn't think the 30 dollar unlimited plan was still available.

#7 OFFLINE   moosc

Android Master

• VIP
  • 1,658 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:53 PM

That is weird since vzw hasn't had unlimited for a month. Its all tiered. There is or was a unlimited hotospot for 30$ but I thought this was on 4g devices only

#8 Guest_Jolly_*

• Guests

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:03 PM

Unlimited Hotspot on 4g would be worth it if you had Unlimited Data. At the speeds I'm hearing you could turn off your home internet.

#9 OFFLINE   moosc

Android Master

• VIP
  • 1,658 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:21 PM

I pay 30$ for phone unlmtd and 80$ for 10gb on my mifi. I would drop my mifi if I can get that deal on the bionic.

Jolly said:

Unlimited Hotspot on 4g would be worth it if you had Unlimited Data. At the speeds I'm hearing you could turn off your home internet.

#10 OFFLINE   FernBch

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Device:Droid X on DarkSlideX

Posted 13 August 2011 - 05:51 PM

If I remember what I read correctly AT&T is going to revoke the unlimited data plan when they catch someone tethering with a downloaded app used on a jailbroke phone (you have to be jailbroke to get it and use it). Also, VZW is supposed to be following suit. I believe what they are going to do is intercept the tethering attempt, block it, and redirect you tp a site giving you the option to buy into the tethering service, unless you have found a workaround. Then what will put up the "red flag" will be higher amounts of data usage. I also read that they are going to throttle down the connection speed for the heavy users (top 5%). The kicker is that those users may be throttled for up to two billing cycles. Engadget and a couple others have commented on complaining to the FCC about this practice because for the same reason that users are upset, "unlimited data plans should mean unlimited data". They went as far as calling the paid tethering option a "sham" to charge more for the services they offer.
My DroidX Thrives on the DarkSlide!!

#11 OFFLINE   hookbill

Android Pro

• Members
  • 476 posts
  • Twitter:@hookbill
  • Device:Droid Bionic

Posted 13 August 2011 - 06:15 PM

I'm actually glad Verizon is taking action to keep people from tethering, however I do feel it's unfair for some people. Take a person who is using tethering to provide their whole house internet, that I think is wrong. But what happens to the people who are simply using an app and listening to music for 8 hours or so? That's who I feel sorry for.

So you pay a subscription for XM, about 110.00 a year, then you pay an additional amount for the privilege of receiving a limited amount of channels at about $2.50 a month, and now you can't use the app because you don't want to pay anymore for going over your limit. Even the free music services like Pandora can cost you money.

I think unlimited should mean exactly that. Even for the people who are abusing it until they are put on a tiered plan. If you're on an unlimited plan it's complete bull pucky for them to complain about it. I'd be p.o'd. if I got a letter from them.

Edited by hookbill, 13 August 2011 - 06:18 PM.
because the stupid iPad is having issues with formatting

A Bill can be expensive. Or great if you have lots of them $$$$$$ But it's not my name......Just call me hook. :)

Please be respectful. Respect to each other should be #1.

PLEASE REVIEW FORUM GUIDELINES

Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   FernBch

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Device:Droid X on DarkSlideX

Posted 13 August 2011 - 08:09 PM

I have to agree with gou. The whole thing should be based on whether or not they can tell that you're actually tethering. Sooner or later they (big wireless providers) are going to get bit in the a** because they can't prove that the people they are going after are actually violating the T.O.S.
My DroidX Thrives on the DarkSlide!!

#13 OFFLINE   Gareee

Droid

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • Device:DroidX

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:11 PM

I'd much prefer they chasize a few tether users, then ALL our data transfers slow down because of a few hogs, and the system unable to meet demand.

#14 OFFLINE   hookbill

Android Pro

• Members
  • 476 posts
  • Twitter:@hookbill
  • Device:Droid Bionic

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:01 PM

Gareee said:

I'd much prefer they chasize a few tether users, then ALL our data transfers slow down because of a few hogs, and the system unable to meet demand.

If you got someone that's listening to Pandora for 8 hours a day like at work, how can they tell? All they see is a bunch of data being used. That's unfortunate but I still think unlimited means that until the contract changes.
A Bill can be expensive. Or great if you have lots of them $$$$$$ But it's not my name......Just call me hook. :)

Please be respectful. Respect to each other should be #1.

PLEASE REVIEW FORUM GUIDELINES

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users