Jump to content

Check us out:

- - - - -

.602 rooted without SBF'g or wiping!


112 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tadpole

    Droid

  • Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:25 AM

Thought I'd start a new thread for this so it wouldn't get buried in the official thread. This is the easy way to .602 if you are running rooted .596 stock:

Figured this out. You can SKIP all the sbf'g etc to get to 602.
*be sure that you are on stock .596 rooted
*grab su file from

Please Login HERE or Register HERE to see this link!

(not the binary) and save on your sdcard
*make nandroid backup in CWR - reboot
*take the official 602 update and let it install
*once it finishes rebooting and you get the install was ok message pull the battery out while droidx is still powered on
*put the battery back in and power on
*this will get you to CWR. From there install the su file and reboot.

Good to go! I just did this on my friend's droidx. Voila!! On .602 and .13p radio and ROOTED.

Thanks to bstein612 and teddy1971 for this tip!

This method does not work for everyone. If your droidx has been modded or has experienced file corruption it may not work. It's definitely worth a try before going the sbf to 340 route as many have reported success.

.................
Updated 9/6/11
There is another way to root .602 now. This is supposed to work with many of the Moto Droid phones running Gingerbread:

Please see post #4 here: http://www.mydroidwo...out-sbfing.html and also:

Please Login HERE or Register HERE to see this link!


Please Login HERE or Register HERE to see this link!


Edited by tadpole, 06 September 2011 - 01:04 PM.


Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

    MyDroidWorld.com



#2 OFFLINE   Kasey Krehbiel

    MDW Noob

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Device:Droid X

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:26 AM

This only works if you haven't installed a ROM.

#3 OFFLINE   tadpole

    Droid

  • Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:32 AM

Kasey Krehbiel said:

This only works if you haven't installed a ROM.

Edited OP. Thanks.

#4 OFFLINE   maverick1276

    Junior Droid

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Device:Droid X

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:36 AM

tadpole said:

Thought I'd start a new thread for this so it wouldn't get buried in the official thread. This is the easy way to .602 if you are running rooted .596 stock:

Figured this out. You can SKIP all the sbf'g etc to get to 602.
*be sure that you are on stock .596 rooted
*grab su file from

Please Login HERE or Register HERE to see this link!

(not the binary) and save on your sdcard
*make nandroid backup in CWR - reboot
*take the official 602 update and let it install
*once it finishes rebooting and you get the install was ok message pull the battery out while droidx is still powered on
*put the battery back in and power on
*this will get you to CWR. From there install the su file and reboot.

Good to go! I just did this on my friend's droidx. Voila!! On .602 and .13p radio and ROOTED.

Thanks to bstein612 and teddy1971 for this tip!

Won't let me take the official. I think it's because I'm on 596, but still have the .07p radio

#5 OFFLINE   tadpole

    Droid

  • Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:40 AM

maverick1276 said:

Won't let me take the official. I think it's because I'm on 596, but still have the .07p radio

Not sure if it matters, but might also need to unfreeze bloat. That's what I did but not sure if necessary.

#6 OFFLINE   maverick1276

    Junior Droid

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Device:Droid X

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:47 AM

:warning

tadpole said:

Not sure if it matters, but might also need to unfreeze bloat. That's what I did but not sure if necessary.

Ha ha, I didn't just freeze it, I deleted it. lol

#7 OFFLINE   woofer00

    Junior Droid

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Device:Droid X

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:50 AM

Registered just to say that this process worked for me, without having to re-SBF (hurray!). Was previously running the .340SBF --> stock .596 rooted 2-part, no ROMs or mods, nothing frozen, .12p radio. Relatively easy peasy - hardest part was finding a charger and an outlet.

Just a few added hand-holding notes:
After CWR nandroid, I rebooted into the stock recovery to apply the 11MB full stock update after renaming the file to update.zip in the base directory of my SD card. A little counterintuitive to just take the OTA, but it appeared to work. CWR recovery's update.zip system will just kick out an error, so it needs to be stock recovery.

Slowish reboot, but that's always the case after an update.

I never had to use that CWR batt pull trick before, but it's definitely one I'm going to keep in mind at all times.

#8 OFFLINE   justatest

    Junior Droid

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Device:droid 1 rooted

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:13 PM

when you say cwr, you are referring to bootstrap correct? or you have to get cwr from market

#9 OFFLINE   LouZirko

    Junior Droid

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Twitter:LouZirko
  • Device:DroidX

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:21 PM

Yes, cwr refers to Clock Work Recovery. If you do much with roms it a very worthwhile investment to purchase the app,

#10 OFFLINE   mgoblue

    MDW Noob

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Device:Droid X

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:25 PM

Ditto, though I was able to do it by taking the auto update as tadpole instructed. Same status as woofer00, went from .340sbf to stock .596 rooted 2-part when it came out. Just followed tadpole's instructions and running .602 with the .13p radio (EDIT: With root, of course). Thanks tadpole!

woofer00 said:

Registered just to say that this process worked for me, without having to re-SBF (hurray!). Was previously running the .340SBF --> stock .596 rooted 2-part, no ROMs or mods, nothing frozen, .12p radio. Relatively easy peasy - hardest part was finding a charger and an outlet.

Just a few added hand-holding notes:
After CWR nandroid, I rebooted into the stock recovery to apply the 11MB full stock update after renaming the file to update.zip in the base directory of my SD card. A little counterintuitive to just take the OTA, but it appeared to work. CWR recovery's update.zip system will just kick out an error, so it needs to be stock recovery.

Slowish reboot, but that's always the case after an update.

I never had to use that CWR batt pull trick before, but it's definitely one I'm going to keep in mind at all times.


#11 OFFLINE   mortymouse

    Junior Droid

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:34 PM

Wasn't able to do it on my X this way. Update just fails.

#12 OFFLINE   tadpole

    Droid

  • Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:36 PM

mortymouse said:

Wasn't able to do it on my X this way. Update just fails.

What were you running before you started?

#13 OFFLINE   n4dog

    Junior Droid

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Device:Droid X

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:37 PM

Will the Droid2 bootstrap work? I am still running it since I did the 2 part update? Thanks

#14 OFFLINE   tadpole

    Droid

  • Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:40 PM

n4dog said:

Will the Droid2 bootstrap work? I am still running it since I did the 2 part update? Thanks

It will work to make your nandroid backup which is always recommended. Once you install the official update D2 bootstrap won't work until you do the batt pull, install SU in CWR and reboot.

#15 OFFLINE   mortymouse

    Junior Droid

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:43 PM

n4dog said:

Will the Droid2 bootstrap work? I am still running it since I did the 2 part update? Thanks

rooted .596 with the .12 radio

The only change that I ever made (and just remembered it right now) was that I changed the color of the battery level icon. I cant get the update to take.

#16 OFFLINE   tadpole

    Droid

  • Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:51 PM

mortymouse said:

rooted .596 with the .12 radio

The only change that I ever made (and just remembered it right now) was that I changed the color of the battery level icon. I cant get the update to take.

Did you try woofer's method in post #7 above and install the update in stock recovery? Otherwise you may be out of luck using this method.

#17 OFFLINE   mortymouse

    Junior Droid

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:56 PM

tadpole said:

Did you try woofer's method in post #7 above and install the update in stock recovery? Otherwise you may be out of luck using this method.

Trying this now actually, I will let you know.

#18 OFFLINE   mortymouse

    Junior Droid

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:56 PM

Ugggh, got an error in the install in CMR as well.

assert failed: getprop ("ro.product.device") == " cdma_shadow"
E: Error in /sdcard/update.zip

Edited by mortymouse, 17 August 2011 - 01:03 PM.


#19 OFFLINE   mortymouse

    Junior Droid

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:07 PM

woofer00 said:

Registered just to say that this process worked for me, without having to re-SBF (hurray!). Was previously running the .340SBF --> stock .596 rooted 2-part, no ROMs or mods, nothing frozen, .12p radio. Relatively easy peasy - hardest part was finding a charger and an outlet.

Just a few added hand-holding notes:
After CWR nandroid, I rebooted into the stock recovery to apply the 11MB full stock update after renaming the file to update.zip in the base directory of my SD card. A little counterintuitive to just take the OTA, but it appeared to work. CWR recovery's update.zip system will just kick out an error, so it needs to be stock recovery.

Slowish reboot, but that's always the case after an update.

I never had to use that CWR batt pull trick before, but it's definitely one I'm going to keep in mind at all times.

Where did you get the 11mb full stock update? I pulled mine from:

http://www.mydroidwo...eady-stock.html

I grabbed the first mirror for the Full Stock Version (Signed)
md5sum: c522ee3af63970f9839318f98515354f
file size : 11.0 MB (11550186 bytes)

I got an error when installing.

#20 OFFLINE   woofer00

    Junior Droid

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Device:Droid X

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:10 PM

Same thread. Multiupload link (second mirror), because I'm too impatient for megaupload. I applied that from the stock recovery (4 options, blue text) by renaming it update.zip and dropping it in the base directory of my SD card. I tried it in clockwork to install as well, but got errors, so I rebooted to the stock recovery and installed it without issue.





3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users