112 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   n4dog

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Device:Droid X

Posted 18 August 2011 - 08:33 PM

Quick question. I have a saved restore from when I was on .340 stock rooted. I can I restore back to that point and be on .340 or will I still be on .596?

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

MyDroidWorld.com

#62 OFFLINE   ibleedteal

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:00 AM

I would like to try to this method to upgrade my droid x to .602 rooted. I am currently running a deodexed version of .596 rooted, with nothing else modded, no crt mod on my phone etc.. and im not running any roms. Has anyone tried to run this update on there droid x running .596 deodexed and had success with .602 and the new .13p radio installed?

#63 OFFLINE   tadpole

Droid

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:29 AM

ibleedteal said:

I would like to try to this method to upgrade my droid x to .602 rooted. I am currently running a deodexed version of .596 rooted, with nothing else modded, no crt mod on my phone etc.. and im not running any roms. Has anyone tried to run this update on there droid x running .596 deodexed and had success with .602 and the new .13p radio installed?

See post #52 above.

#64 OFFLINE   stubal

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Device:DroidX

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:23 PM

tadpole said:

Thought I'd start a new thread for this so it wouldn't get buried in the official thread. This is the easy way to .602 if you are running rooted .596 stock:

Figured this out. You can SKIP all the sbf'g etc to get to 602.
*be sure that you are on stock .596 rooted
*grab su file from

Please Login HERE or Register HERE to see this link!

(not the binary) and save on your sdcard
*make nandroid backup in CWR - reboot
*take the official 602 update and let it install
*once it finishes rebooting and you get the install was ok message pull the battery out while droidx is still powered on
*put the battery back in and power on
*this will get you to CWR. From there install the su file and reboot.

Good to go! I just did this on my friend's droidx. Voila!! On .602 and .13p radio and ROOTED.

Thanks to bstein612 and teddy1971 for this tip!

This method does not work for everyone. If your droidx has been modded or has experienced file corruption it may not work. It's definitely worth a try before going the sbf to 340 route as many have reported success.

Everything working fine except the SU install. It appears that the boot loader isn't seeing a .zip file to install for superuser. I believe I downloaded the right app but I don't think it's a zip, so the boat loader isn't recognizing. I am guessing I am downloading the wrong file to my SD card... help appreciated! Thanks.

Edit: found the zip file and installed. Still no root... Trying z4 to start again

Edit 2: z4 won't work. HELP...

Edited by stubal, 19 August 2011 - 04:37 PM.

#65 OFFLINE   woofer00

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 01:03 AM

stubal said:

Everything working fine except the SU install. It appears that the boot loader isn't seeing a .zip file to install for superuser. I believe I downloaded the right app but I don't think it's a zip, so the boat loader isn't recognizing. I am guessing I am downloading the wrong file to my SD card... help appreciated! Thanks.

Edit: found the zip file and installed. Still no root... Trying z4 to start again

z4? Why are you in z4? The only reason to use z4 for this process is to root froyo, not to create root on gb

#66 OFFLINE   stubal

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:55 AM

wasn't aware of that regarding the z4. I performed this procedure and lost my root. Trying desperately to get it back. SU zip didn't do it so looking for a solution. Looks like it's time to sbf which i really didn't feel iike doing. that's life

Edited by stubal, 20 August 2011 - 03:07 AM.

#67 OFFLINE   tadpole

Droid

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:16 AM

stubal said:

wasn't aware of that regarding the z4. I performed this procedure and lost my root. Trying desperately to get it back. SU zip didn't do it so looking for a solution. Looks like it's time to sbf which i really didn't feel iike doing. that's life

The name of the file at androidsu.com/superuser to download is: su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip

That should be installed in clockwork recovery "install zip from sdcard"

#68 OFFLINE   v1nce

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:49 AM

Question: I installed and am running gingerbread rooted thanks to the 2 part .596 method using Droid2Bootstrap. I have made no changes or modifications since. Is there any other simple way to get root without using CWRecovery?

Update: my bad, I was confused on what CWR was, which is provided once installing Droid2Bootstrap. I followed the instructions and upgraded from .596 rooted to .062 without a problem. Much thanks to the people here who have helped so many do this so easily!

Edited by v1nce, 20 August 2011 - 05:34 PM.

#69 OFFLINE   WAldenIV

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:56 AM

Thanks, Tadpole. This couldn't have been any easier. I knew I held out updating for a reason.

#70 OFFLINE   sagi

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 04:37 PM

Had posted this on the original "Official Gingerbread Update 4.5.602 ..." thread, but now see that this thread is the one to use for the alternative method. Just want to be sure I have done all I should in advance of taking the OTA update.

I was on 596 deodexed, rooted and with the forest wallpaper and the crt close and battery level rom gadgets installed.

What I have now done is to go to the control page, and selected another wallpaper then the forest one, and that selection has made the forest wallpaper option disappear from the selection list altogether ... so I assume it is out of there.

Then I ran the proggie that removed the battery and crt gadgets ... done; they are gone.

Then I ran the TBH odexed version of 596 to overwrite the deodexed version, and it has booted back ok. So now I am on 596, odexed, rooted, without any of those add-on roms.

I have the OTA download to 602 waiting from Verizon, and I have the downloaded superuser 2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip file sitting on the SD card.

One question here, though, is that I have been using the Superuser 'elite' beta 3 on my phone, and will having used that work ok through the next step? Or do I need to revert that back also?

Otherwise I think I am ready to go. Given all the issues others have had, I am a little skittish and want to be sure I have covered all the bases. No frozen bloatware files, though some files are marked to kill on startup under Android Assistant.

Anything else needed? Have done two driod2 bootstrap Clockwork backups of (where I started and where I am now) and appreciate any feedback on other steps needed (or not).

Thanks!

#71 OFFLINE   stubal

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 05:36 PM

stubal said:

Thanks everyone. Turns out I had the wrong SU zip file. Made sure I got the right one and once again I am rooted! Actually a very easy way to upgrade, just wish I payed more attention to the SU file. Thanks.

#72 OFFLINE   v1nce

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 05:02 AM

Spoke to soon about everything being OK. Every time I turn my phone on, it boots into Clockwork Recovery! How do I stop this? I select Reboot and the phone loads fine but every time I turn it on, CRW all over again!

Update: Problem fixed. Deleted Droid2Bootstrap and the CRW files using Root Explorer.

Edited by v1nce, 21 August 2011 - 06:18 AM.

#73 OFFLINE   jusharpe

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Device:Droid X Rooted

Posted 21 August 2011 - 03:18 PM

Step 1
Download SU.zip and put on SD card.
Step 2
Defrost bloat. (Hopefully you never uninstalled)
Step 3
CWR nandroid backup and reboot
Step 4
OTA update wait for update successful
Step 5
Battery pull and replace
Step 6
CWR and install .zip from SD Card and install SU.zip
Step 7
Reboot

Went perfectly flawless. Easiest update to root since using z4 on Froyo.

Thanks tadpole

#74 OFFLINE   Kdca

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Device:Dx

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:12 PM

Interesting that this works for some of you. I just did it and can't reboot into cwr. My dx just boots up as it normally would. Rooted apps that I had previously installed are still there and installed per SU, and checking a few out, they do still seem to be working. But anything asking for new SU access can't get it. Guess I'll have to sbf back and start over.

Ken

#75 OFFLINE   Pushwall

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 05:24 AM

Kdca said:

Interesting that this works for some of you. I just did it and can't reboot into cwr. My dx just boots up as it normally would. Rooted apps that I had previously installed are still there and installed per SU, and checking a few out, they do still seem to be working. But anything asking for new SU access can't get it. Guess I'll have to sbf back and start over.

Ken
This happened to me too. I had to go back and run Droid 2 Bootstrapper again and click on the Bootstrap Recovery button. After that I was able to get into CWR.

#76 OFFLINE   v1nce

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 05:56 AM

*sniff* I miss the huge battery icon with the power levels in Battery Management. :violin

#77 OFFLINE   Kdca

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Device:Dx

Posted 22 August 2011 - 06:59 AM

Pushwall said:

This happened to me too. I had to go back and run Droid 2 Bootstrapper again and click on the Bootstrap Recovery button. After that I was able to get into CWR.

Pushwall said:

How actually did you get back into cwr? I too have hit the restore bootstrap, and the system says it is successfully restored, but I cant get back into cwr either by pulling the battery or using rom manager.
Ken

#78 OFFLINE   Pushwall

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:38 AM

Kdca said:

How actually did you get back into cwr? I too have hit the restore bootstrap, and the system says it is successfully restored, but I cant get back into cwr either by pulling the battery or using rom manager.
Ken
I do it using ROM Manager. But I guess you tried that and the power option. With the power option I made sure it was plugged in while pulling the battery, and then hitting the power button when the charging icon came up. I don't know of any other ways.

Edited by Pushwall, 22 August 2011 - 10:56 AM.

#79 OFFLINE   ibleedteal

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 01:48 PM

Pushwall said:

I do it using ROM Manager. But I guess you tried that and the power option. With the power option I made sure it was plugged in while pulling the battery, and then hitting the power button when the charging icon came up. I don't know of any other ways.
Please explain how you did this using ROM Manager. I updated to .602 last night OTA and I lost root. I couldn't get to the last to step to boot into CWR to install the SU file. Help is greatly appreciated, and it might look like I will have to SBF to get my root back with .602.

#80 OFFLINE   tadpole

Droid

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:36 PM

@kdca

There are only two options when using the Droid 2 bootstrap app. 1) bootstrap recovery and 2) reboot recovery. Try #1, if successful select #2 to get to cwr.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users