TBH US GSM Band Unlock for Droid 2 Global and Pro Update.zip Public Release

172 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   CellZealot

Android Pro

• Moderators
  • 414 posts
  • Device:D1,D2 dev, DX dev, D2G dev, D Pro dev, D3, Bionic

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:23 PM

TBH has finally decided to release the band unlock for global Droid models.

This solution will allow you to use a SIM unlocked D2G or Pro running the original release firmwareon AT&T or T-Mobile in the US.
This hack defeats the band lock that VZW had Motorola build into the radio firmware of all Droid global devices.

we have developed it into an update.zip format to make for as simple as possible an installation and avoiding the need for complicated software tools like RadioComm, which the original solution we had required.

This method can be done on any rooted and bootstrapped device that is running the release build.

We are also working on getting this radio to run under later builds and hopefully the recent GB release.
Right now you are absolutely limited to the original 2.4.29 for D2G and 2.26.2 for Pro.

You also MUST BE SIM UNLOCKED FIRST! THIS DOES NOT UNLOCK THE DEVICE FOR NON VZW SIMs!!

This hack also works best on a device that has been freshly flashed or has been deactivated or turned off for an extended period.

once you have flashed the phone using RSD Lite and the available SBF files, and rooted and bootstrapped with D2 Bootstrap, you simply place the file on your sdcard and boot into recovery and run the file from recovery using the Install zip from sdcard option.

Let it complete and then reboot and insert SIM and set it to GSM/UMTS only mode under Mobile Networks and it should provision automatically from the SIM.

Done!!

This allows all bands for AT&T including HSPA+ but on T-Mobile it is limited to EDGE data because their deployment of their high speed data network is on a band not supported by the MDM6600 chipset.

The first file will unlock the US GSM bands and the second will relock the radio undoing the hack.

Please Login HERE or Register HERE to see this link!

Please Login HERE or Register HERE to see this link!

Have fun and enjoy! this was a very expensive and exclusive hack that is now free for everyone to use that has one of these phones.

:cool:

EDIT: Links replaced with new ones that shouldn't expire, sorry!

Edited by CellZealot, 25 September 2011 - 05:12 PM.

CellZealot

TeamBlackHat

Digital alchemy for Droid and beyond

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

MyDroidWorld.com

#2 OFFLINE   bhojo1

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Device:droid 2 global

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:39 PM

Out of curiosity what would happen if one tried to apply this update to a leaked gingerbread phone which was modded with p3droids root gingerbread part1 and part2 files ? would it work ? would it permanently bork the phone ?
thansk

#3 OFFLINE   CellZealot

Android Pro

• Moderators
  • 414 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:30 PM

Nothing...it would not work and would be ignored by the phone. The bit in this seem on later unlocked radio images we have is 0C so it is entirely immaterial in newer builds. What we are looking into is whether we can load and run the older radio under the newer builds.

The band lock itself was moved out of the NVM and incorporated into the radio image to make it harder to defeat at the request of VZW.
We may still be able to isolate it but may not have access to it in the NVM.
This is why we have opened it up for development to help answer some of these questions and even apply it to phones like the D3.

Edited by CellZealot, 23 August 2011 - 11:33 PM.

CellZealot

TeamBlackHat

#4 OFFLINE   Firedrake1

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Device:Droid 2 Global

Posted 24 August 2011 - 12:01 AM

If we SBF back to .29 and use the update.zip to unlock the band then flash CM7 will the unlock still work?

#5 OFFLINE   CellZealot

Android Pro

• Moderators
  • 414 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:10 AM

As long as you don't flash the radio, it should continue to work fine no matter what ROM or system is on the phone.
CellZealot

TeamBlackHat

#6 OFFLINE   bhojo1

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Device:droid 2 global

Posted 24 August 2011 - 12:13 PM

sorry to be a noob but is it possible to remove the radio from an update.zip ( i was again thinking of p3droid's gingerbread zips...

#7 OFFLINE   CellZealot

Android Pro

• Moderators
  • 414 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:35 PM

Yes, it is possible and we are going to try a number of different ideas we have to see if we can make this work under the GB build.
CellZealot

TeamBlackHat

#8 OFFLINE   dinlaca

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Device:Motorola Droid 2 Global

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:23 AM

Please let me know if you need a beta tester.

Also, since extracting the radio from an sbf is possible, do you have a link to a .330 sbf which does NOT contain the radio image (this, from someone who paid for the band-unlock service, and would like a Gingerbread upgrade path)? Thanks in advance.

CellZealot said:

Yes, it is possible and we are going to try a number of different ideas we have to see if we can make this work under the GB build.

#9 OFFLINE   EATDroid

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Device:OG DINC

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:00 AM

Thank you for all of your hard work on this. I've got the Droid 2 Global running on the AT&T network with a UK prepaid sim. I just need to wait until I see my girlfriend to try out her AT&T sim and make sure it is fully functional. Where is the best place to follow you for developments on this issue?

TBH App purchased

Edited by EATDroid, 01 September 2011 - 07:15 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   BooRadley

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 04:52 PM

"You also MUST BE SIM UNLOCKED FIRST! THIS DOES NOT UNLOCK THE DEVICE FOR NON VZW SIMs!!"

Just purchased a D2G that was frozen on someones account. Not planning on using it with Verizon. I purchased an unlock code with plans to get a T-mobile SIM after and use it. Will this work? Or did I have to have it unlocked before I tried this method?

#11 OFFLINE   EATDroid

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Device:OG DINC

Posted 01 September 2011 - 05:02 PM

BooRadley said:

Just purchased a D2G that was frozen on someones account. Not planning on using it with Verizon. I purchased an unlock code with plans to get a T-mobile SIM after and use it. Will this work? Or did I have to have it unlocked before I tried this method?

You will not be able to use any other sim card besides a Verizon/Vodafone in the phone unless you get a working sim unlock code. I would put a non-verizon sim card in the phone (sim doesn't have to be active) and test the unlock code you purchased. The reason I suggest this is there seem to be quite a few phones out there that will not unlock with the purchased codes. If the code doesn't work, contact the people you bought it from as they may offer a refund but you may be SOL as far as getting it unlocked.
So, the ultimate answer is even if you apply the band unlock hack provided above, a T-mobile sim will never work in the phone until you get it sim unlocked. Also, I'm not sure if you know it or not but you will not get 3G on t-mobile because this phone does not support the frequency they use. I am still waiting to get an active AT&T sim in my phone to make sure everything is functioning properly. Everyone I know is on Verizon and Sprint.

#12 OFFLINE   BooRadley

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 09:10 AM

Ok. Unlock code on my frozen d2g wasnt working because of user error. Just got it unlocked from purchased code and grabbed a tmobile sim. Works great. Wifi is buggy now but i mainly need it for talk and text for a couple monthss. Verizon cant beat $30 for 1500 min/txt no contract. Great option for any global phones with bad esn. Thank you for your hard work!

#13 OFFLINE   Urban

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 12:43 PM

Hello, I have been attempting to make this work, the one part I'm currently stuck on is when i reboot using the D2 Bootloader and attempt to Install the Zip, even though though Zip is on the root of my SDcard it is not listed. Any help is appreciated.

#14 OFFLINE   DirtyEvoVIII

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 04:46 PM

You also MUST BE SIM UNLOCKED FIRST! THIS DOES NOT UNLOCK THE DEVICE FOR NON VZW SIMs!!

^ What exactly is meant by this? I know my SIM is activated by verizon. What should I do? The only SIM i have is the one that came with the phone. Will I be able to use that SIM to get on AT&T? Thanks for the help.

#15 OFFLINE   Urban

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 05:44 PM

when you enter a SIM card from another service provider there will be a prompt that asks you to enter the SIM unlock code, that is what you have to get from verizon or one of the other websites

#16 OFFLINE   DirtyEvoVIII

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:41 PM

Urban said:

when you enter a SIM card from another service provider there will be a prompt that asks you to enter the SIM unlock code, that is what you have to get from verizon or one of the other websites

So, in order to run on the AT&T network, I need a AT&T SIM card then?

I was able to get the unlock code by calling customer support.

Edited by DirtyEvoVIII, 11 September 2011 - 07:16 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   Urban

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 07:38 PM

Correct

#18 OFFLINE   DirtyEvoVIII

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 08:01 PM

Wooohoooo. I got it working. That is pretty freakin sweet being on AT&T. Thanks for all the help guys!

#19 OFFLINE   Urban

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 08:07 PM

Just curious how u installed the Zip w D2 Bootstrap, whenever i try that the Zip file isnt listed

#20 OFFLINE   DirtyEvoVIII

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:08 AM

I plugged my cell phone into my laptop, putting it on mass storage device mode. Next I put the .zip on the root of the sd card. Boot up into recovery mode. Mine says ClockworkMod Recovery v2.5.0.8. I went to install zip from sd card> choose zip from sd card. TBH band unlock was the last one on the list.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users