16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fclifton

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Device:Samsung Charge

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:34 AM

I am using Gingerbread (2.3.4) (EP1W) Leaked on my Charge. I have the Samsung car dock. I have the option Dock setting | Auto launch set to Never. Yet, when I plug the phone into the dock, and hit the Home key, I go to the car mode Home screen. That car mode Home screen doesn't have what I want on it. So, is there a way to not have that car mode Home screen become active? Or, is there another car mode Home screen that works with the Charge, and is customizable?

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

MyDroidWorld.com

#2 OFFLINE   bkhorn

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Device:Samsung Droid Charge, Moto D1

Posted 24 September 2011 - 11:44 AM

The default Card Dock is customizable. Just click on an empty spot and create the shortcut you want. Do it all the time.

#3 OFFLINE   fclifton

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 03:15 PM

bkhorn said:

The default Card Dock is customizable. Just click on an empty spot and create the shortcut you want. Do it all the time.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Hmmm, I tried that, and got no response. I think I only tried a long press. Do you have the screen with the 5 or 6 icons? I am in portrait mode, what about yours?

#4 OFFLINE   bkhorn

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 03:29 PM

6 icons in portrait or landscape. Let me get a screen shot.

Wow. Look at that. I couldn't find the app and now it looks like I can't install it either.

Attached Files

Edited by bkhorn, 24 September 2011 - 03:50 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   fclifton

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 01:19 PM

bkhorn said:

6 icons in portrait or landscape. Let me get a screen shot.

Wow. Look at that. I couldn't find the app and now it looks like I can't install it either.
My car dock homescreen is the stock Verizon one, has 5 icons. And I can't make it add a different shortcut no matter what I try. :(

#6 OFFLINE   bkhorn

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:33 AM

I stand corrected. I was able to plug my phone into the car dock this morning and you are correct. I don't see a way of modifying the stock Verizon car dock app. I guess I am so used to using the Google Car Dock, which I can't install on DarkChargeTQ, that I forgot all about the Verizon one. I am now trying CarHome Ultra. I really liked the Google Car App too.

#7 OFFLINE   fclifton

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:08 PM

bkhorn said:

I stand corrected. I was able to plug my phone into the car dock this morning and you are correct. I don't see a way of modifying the stock Verizon car dock app. I guess I am so used to using the Google Car Dock, which I can't install on DarkChargeTQ, that I forgot all about the Verizon one. I am now trying CarHome Ultra. I really liked the Google Car App too.
I will be interested in your experience. I am trying Car Dock Home v3. It is ok I guess, but it doesn't start automatically when I put the phone into the car dock. If I have Auto Launch enabled, the stock car dock home is launched, but the home key takes me back to the normal home screen. it doesn't keep taking me to the stock car dock home. If Auto Launch is disabled, docking does nothing and the home key still takes me back to the normal home screen.

#8 OFFLINE   bkhorn

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:46 AM

I went into the system/app folder and renamed CarCradle. I won't know what happens until I get in the car to go home. Have you looked at CarHome? I wish I could get my hands on the Google version.

I just downloaded and installed the Google Car Home App. Will let you know what happens.

Edited by bkhorn, 27 September 2011 - 11:02 AM.

#9 OFFLINE   fclifton

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:52 AM

bkhorn said:

I went into the system/app folder and renamed CarCradle. I won't know what happens until I get in the car to go home. Have you looked at CarHome? I wish I could get my hands on the Google version.

I just downloaded and installed the Google Car Home App. Will let you know what happens.
I am looking at Car Home right now. About the same as Car Dock Home v3. Has a nice speedometer, but to my taste the screen is cluttered. Also does not start automagically. The Samsung stock one still wants to start.

#10 OFFLINE   bkhorn

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:50 PM

Check this out:

Please Login HERE or Register HERE to see this link!

#11 OFFLINE   bkhorn

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:09 PM

WORKS. I did the rename as in post 8. Installed from the link in Post 10 and presto. Google Car Home comes up. And it is customizable.

#12 OFFLINE   fclifton

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:20 PM

bkhorn said:

WORKS. I did the rename as in post 8. Installed from the link in Post 10 and presto. Google Car Home comes up. And it is customizable.
I will have to try it after doing the rename. I did the install without that and still got the stock car dock home. This sounds very likely to work! Good sleuthing!

#13 OFFLINE   fclifton

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:25 AM

bkhorn said:

What file(s) exactly did you rename? I renamed CarCradle.apk to OldCarCradle.apk and same for odex file, and then installed Google Car Home fro the link, and I still got the stock Samsung car dock home!

#14 OFFLINE   bkhorn

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:39 AM

In /system/app I changed CarCradle.apk to CarCradle.old. Did not change the .odex file. Then I installed the Google version.

#15 OFFLINE   fclifton

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:59 AM

bkhorn said:

In /system/app I changed CarCradle.apk to CarCradle.old. Did not change the .odex file. Then I installed the Google version.
When you installed the Google version, did you get a message that an existing application was being replaced? Also, what files did you end up with, CarCradle.apk again?

#16 OFFLINE   bkhorn

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:32 AM

I did not get any messages. In the /system/app folder it shows the .old file.

#17 OFFLINE   fclifton

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:44 AM

Renamed as you did, and IT WORKS! Amazing!

I'm new to this Android stuff, so I am curious as to what file is being executed. Does the downloaded apk file install a different apk, or does it make it so that the system uses the downloaded apk for execution?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users