Check us out:

- - - - -

How to maintain root through any upgrade (Motorola Devices Only)

109 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_Jolly_*

• Guests

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:00 PM

Good Info Bud.

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

MyDroidWorld.com

#42 OFFLINE   lostbytes11

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Device:Bionic

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:14 AM

p3droid said:

Doing the following will allow your device to maintain root through any upgrade (unless motorola changes things)

For Bionic owners does using the method above also mean that we do not need to use Pete's one click unroot, if we used the one click root in the first place, if we want to receive OTA updates (assuming everything else is stock)?

#43 OFFLINE   jtelander

Droid

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • Device:RAZR

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:50 AM

p3droid said:

Doing the following will allow your device to maintain root through any upgrade (unless motorola changes things)

I use root explorer, but you can also use adb pull and push.

RootExplorer Method

go to /system/bin/
open in text editor - mount_ext3.sh
add the following lines to the very bottom

chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su
chmod 4755 /system/app/Superuser.apk

To be clear, is there a space before and after the numbers 4755 in all 3 commands?

Edited by jtelander, 19 October 2011 - 08:53 AM.
brevity

#44 OFFLINE   OldBaldy

Droid

• VIP
  • 280 posts
  • Twitter:@OldBaldy62
  • Device:DroidX

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:27 AM

Yes

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

#45 OFFLINE   bgs_piece

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Device:Motorola Droid

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:32 AM

When "completely stock" is being referred to, I would unfreeze any apps I have frozen with Titanium backup, and then stay rooted? Or, does the phone need to be in the same condition as when I first bought it? All I have done is root, then freeze some bloatware and manually updated gmail and the market.

#46 OFFLINE   TeeX

Junior Droid

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Device:DROID BIONIC (and waiting for GNex)

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:39 AM

bgs_piece said:

When "completely stock" is being referred to, I would unfreeze any apps I have frozen with Titanium backup, and then stay rooted? Or, does the phone need to be in the same condition as when I first bought it? All I have done is root, then freeze some bloatware and manually updated gmail and the market.

to be safe I would just FXZ back to stock

Please Login HERE or Register HERE to see this link!

- it's just that easy :)
GNex!

#47 OFFLINE   lostbytes11

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:48 AM

TeeX said:

to be safe I would just FXZ back to stock

- it's just that easy :)

Woudn't that eliminate the root though when the point of p3droid's method was to stay rooted through any updates? It sounds like I'm trying to accomplish the same thing that bgs_piece is doing of freezing and thawing with the exception where I'm autoupdating through the market when the market has an update.

#48 OFFLINE   ludi

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:37 PM

Zane_Grey said:

I used root explorer to edit the file. Also stock/bloated with root. Well with some theming done to systemui and framework-res but nothing serious.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2695[/ATTACH]

It appears, from the image you added that you are copying the superuser and a custom local.prop from /data to the /system partition each boot. Am I correct in this? You attributed it to a Busybox installer. If so, which Busybox installer did you use, JRummys or Stericsons? I was unaware that either of installers made those changes.

Edited by ludi, 20 October 2011 - 09:38 PM.
clarity

#49 OFFLINE   firefighterguy

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Device:Droid Bionic

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:48 PM

I would like to know this too, before I give it a shot. I have JRummy's BusyBox Installer Pro and 1.19. And I have no such busybox scripts, either. I am leary on trying this until someone else with a Bionic and no busybox scriot is able to get it to take.

Edited by firefighterguy, 20 October 2011 - 10:55 PM.

#50 OFFLINE   ludi

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:47 PM

firefighterguy said:

I would like to know this too, before I give it a shot. I have JRummy's BusyBox Installer Pro and 1.19. And I have no such busybox scripts, either. I am leary on trying this until someone else with a Bionic and no busybox scriot is able to get it to take.

After applying the edits cited by p3droid in the OP, I can confirm that root is retained after installing the OTA .893. I had no such busybox commands in my mount_ext3.sh script.

However, I like the idea.... seems if su was somehow yanked from /system/xbin, those commands would restore it properly. /shrug. Perhaps a fail-safe of some sort.

Edited by ludi, 20 October 2011 - 11:51 PM.

#51 OFFLINE   Dreams

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:54 PM

ludi said:

After applying the edits cited by p3droid in the OP, I can confirm that root is retained after installing the OTA .893. I had no such busybox commands in my mount_ext3.sh script.

However, I like the idea.... seems if su was somehow yanked from /system/xbin, those commands would restore it properly. /shrug. Perhaps a fail-safe of some sort.

Where did you get the .893 OTA? Do you still have a copy of it?

#52 OFFLINE   ludi

MDW Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 12:01 AM

Dreams said:

Where did you get the .893 OTA? Do you still have a copy of it?

Be sure you you have properly applied the edits to mount_ext3.sh as indicated in the OP of this thread. If you proceed without making them, youll lose root forever!! ;)

The Cheesecake app mentioned in the above thread is located in the following thread.

I'de suggest the oneclick fastboot and restore and root to get back to stock with root prior to making the mount_ext3.sh scripts. Then reboot. Then install the cheesecake and then eat that cake. ;) Good Luck.

#53 OFFLINE   DBionicJay

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Twitter:http://twitter.com/dbionicjay

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:49 AM

This indeed DOES work, I just used it to retain root after upgrading to 5.5.893. Ive attached a few screenshots showing my results.

I gotta say I was extremely nervous several times before and during the process but just be very meticulous in your preparation details and you'll come out on the other side rooted as well, should you decide to update. :-)

If it will help anyone, I will type up a step by step mini guide to getting to the new update, just using P3's information obviously. If it isn't necessary then I won't bother.

[ATTACH]2753[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]2754[/ATTACH]

Attached Files

Edited by DBionicJay, 21 October 2011 - 10:51 AM.

#54 OFFLINE   DBionicJay

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:51 AM

[ATTACH]2757[/ATTACH]

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Attached Files

#55 OFFLINE   DBionicJay

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:53 AM

[ATTACH]2758[/ATTACH]

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Attached Files

#56 OFFLINE   bgs_piece

Junior Droid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Device:Motorola Droid

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:59 PM

DBionicJay said:

This indeed DOES work, I just used it to retain root after upgrading to 5.5.893. Ive attached a few screenshots showing my results.

I gotta say I was extremely nervous several times before and during the process but just be very meticulous in your preparation details and you'll come out on the other side rooted as well, should you decide to update. :-)

If it will help anyone, I will type up a step by step mini guide to getting to the new update, just using P3's information obviously. If it isn't necessary then I won't bother.

[ATTACH]2753[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]2754[/ATTACH]

I know it's probably written up somewhere else, but if you could write something up that would be awesome. I have always been nervous performing things like this on previous phones, but have never had any issues. Also, if someone can be a little more specific on what "completely stock" means that would be great. I am on stock rom; I have added a few lines to the build.prop, and also ran the enable init.d scripts for stock roms and have the bloat frozen. I would obviously unfreeze the bloat, but really don't want to FXZ back and lose all of my app data.

#57 OFFLINE   jawonder

Droid

• VIP
  • 217 posts
  • Device:Bionic ,TBolt, Xoom & GNexus

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:25 AM

I on BURR3D V1.8 rom, i have a backup of my stock rom , can i restore the backup do the forever root or can i do it from BLURR3D V1.8 ?. The system version i see while on BLURR3D is 5.5.892.

Edited by jawonder, 22 October 2011 - 07:27 AM.

#58 OFFLINE   dangerous

Droid

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Device:Bionic,(in my bag 2 DX and 1 TB)

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:23 AM

dangerous said:

Hmm shouldn't have done this on my Bionic. I'm now Stuck at Red M.

I did this again and, this time i used Root Explorer method.
Also, not sure if this matters here, but i made sure i put a blank line after the last line. I know in some of my crons in linux i need a crlf at the end.

anyway.. It booted.

#59 OFFLINE   dangerous

Droid

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Device:Bionic,(in my bag 2 DX and 1 TB)

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:29 AM

next question is: if you are chmod 4755 /system/bin/su shouldn't there be a su in that folder? not in mine.

i do see /system/xbin/su does exist as well as /system/app/Superuser.apk is there.

#60 OFFLINE   jawonder

Droid

• VIP
  • 217 posts
  • Device:Bionic ,TBolt, Xoom & GNexus

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:52 AM

Zane_Grey said:

I used root explorer to edit the file. Also stock/bloated with root. Well with some theming done to systemui and framework-res but nothing serious.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2695[/ATTACH]

I checked system/bin and i'm messing the two busy box line in the attachment post above. Don't know if it's because i'm on BLURR3D rom and busy box might be place elsewhere , gonna restore my stock backup and check again .

Update :- went back to stock "system version - 5.5.886 checked system bin and two busy box lines are still missing . Anyone know how to fix this ? , wanna try"Forever root" but not sure if will work without the busy box lines .

Edited by jawonder, 22 October 2011 - 09:53 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users